Since when was online a given?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Since when was online a given?

User Info: P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N

P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N
3 years ago#11
My expectation is that if a game has online, then there is no reason for it not to have local. Local is much easier to implement and should be a given when there is multiplayer. Why do devs make games online only?
NNID: Ko-san
"SUUUPERRR!"

User Info: NovaLevossida

NovaLevossida
3 years ago#12
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
My expectation is that if a game has online, then there is no reason for it not to have local. Local is much easier to implement and should be a given when there is multiplayer. Why do devs make games online only?

In the case of FPS and racing games, a lot of the time the system cannot process local multiplayer due to system resources. You basically have to render everything twice for two players or 3-4 times for 3-4 players. I think it was Goldeneye or Mario Kart 64 or Diddy Kong Racing or something like that on the N64 in which 4 players in multiplayer left you with no music so the system could process the divided resources and still run. Then you have things like Battlefield 3 that were pushing the systems so hard at the time (on PS3 / 360) that you just couldn't divide the resources in half.

Platformers though? No real excuse because everyone's on the same screen.
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL

User Info: P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N

P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N
3 years ago#13
If the dev chooses to spend their time learning how to maintain all the mess pertaining to online over making sure their game runs right, that's on them. But I expect your game to be stable if you are thinking about multiplayer at all.
NNID: Ko-san
"SUUUPERRR!"

User Info: Skill4Reel

Skill4Reel
3 years ago#14
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
squatch22 posted...
If Nintendo made Rayman, the amount of troll topics about it would crash this site

and IGN woulda gave it a 8

Yep, and the IGN review score for Mario 3D World is already right here folks. Review scores are way too predictable.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Since when was online a given?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived