The price drop. Desperation or Brilliant Strategy?

#21DarthFloatyPosted 8/28/2013 11:43:10 PM
It can't really be argued to be desperate. If it was, Nintendo would have lowered it more. The 3DS went from $250 to $170, a $80 drop. This was only $50, and a lesser percentage at that. If Nintendo was desperate, this probably would have been a $100 drop.
#22LightbornePosted 8/28/2013 11:43:19 PM
STN79 posted...
@ L4YER_CAKE

I Just wanted to fit in. Isn't trolling what this site is for? That's pretty much all i see on these forums.
Negativity, badmouthing of anothers console of choice to make yours seem more appealing and a general lack of courtesy for others. That's the message i'm getting.

Yea I don't get what these peoples issues are on this site its like psychofaq syndrom. Reminds me of the wow community.
#23AjidoMarujidoPosted 8/28/2013 11:48:28 PM
It's not brilliant, it's not desperate, it's expected.

Two new, more powerful systems are coming out soon, and Nintendo needs to stay competitive. A price drop will push sales.
---
[[Currently Playing]] -- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F (PS3), Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3 and PC)
[[PSN - MilesEdgeworth]] ~ [[XBL - The 22nd]]
#24KhaosIncPosted 8/29/2013 1:54:27 AM
The price drops they should be making is on older wii games. Galaxy 2 is still full price? Are you kidding?! This price drop entices me not. Sony knows when to drop game prices, so they have my money. Nintendo seems to think good games should sell for the same price always. That's where they lost me. Sorry N, too little, too late. Looking forward to Mario on other consoles (like Sonic and Sega).
---
This is a black collar song
#25KOOGARPosted 8/29/2013 2:08:59 AM
The price drop. Desperation or Brilliant Strategy?

Neither. It's the normal way to run business.

Must be your first year in gaming.
#26VanderZooPosted 8/29/2013 2:10:23 AM
More desperation, Nintendo has made it pretty clear they didn't want to drop the price. I think bad sales combined with new consoles coming out this year forced their hand. There's nothing brilliant about dropping the price, just common sense.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#27R_ChampPosted 8/29/2013 2:16:26 AM
TalentedM posted...
TAoR posted...
I'd say a little of both.

Pretty much this. I personally think it would have tied in better with MK8, which I feel like Iwata knew in his heart of hearts to be the true point to drop the price.

A price drop of $50 is hardly a "last ditch effort" IMO.

Agreed, $50 isn't a last ditch effort, but they are a little desperate to move more Wii U's this holiday season. A price cut, bundles, and a bunch of games are all smart strategies. Just hit the marketing harder and they'll probably be fine. TBH, I don't think PS4 and Xbox One are gonna sell as amazing as certain people here on gfaqs think. I mean, 360 and PS3 are still selling well, which means the general populace isn't looking to upgrade as much as the fanboys. And the fanboys may be more vocal, but gauging from Vita's success I'd say they don't move that many systems. Heck, most of the titles people keep flaunting for both of those systems aren't coming till next year.
#28GamersTavernPosted 8/29/2013 2:28:08 AM
I don't think the price drop will make a difference. Nintendo just needs more good games on their system is all. Still, lower prices is a great thing for consumers, so I fully support it being cheaper.
---
Main Site: http://www.gamers-tavern.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GamersTavernShow
#29NightMareBunnyPosted 8/29/2013 2:28:43 AM
It's a brilliant idea honestly

i mean do the math...The Wii-U Is Now $100 Cheaper Than The PS4 and has been out for a year which means the wait for big blockbuster titles won't be as long as the wait for Xbox One/PS4 Gems

Wii-U Wind Waker HD Deluxe Bundle Gives You the following
32GB Deluxe Wii U
Wind Waker HD Edition(Digital)
Hyrule Historian Book(Digital)
Limited Edition Zelda Wii U Gamepad

For $100 More You Get Just the system with PS4....(And One Controller)
---
JUS FC:347983426961
Diamond FC:4167-0966-1829
#30griffon117Posted 8/29/2013 2:37:38 AM
After hearing that the WiiU is selling worse than the Vita... I think it's more of a desperation now. They have no choice but to cut the price since the demand is soo low especially with the ps4 and xbox one releasing which would literally kill its sales
---
Games: DotA 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Pokemon Black 2
Nintendo FR: 5155-4259-5194 Sony ID: FearTHEReaper003