Why do people insist Wind Waker is a remake and not a port?

#11KingBeetlePosted 8/30/2013 8:52:08 PM
VoIodislavu posted...
A remake is when you recreate something entirely from scratch.

So you mean a new game.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/godunman
I do Let's Plays. Er, sometimes.
#12Baha05Posted 8/30/2013 8:52:23 PM
TalentedM posted...
The only remake I have ever actually seen was Twin Snakes if this is the case.

That means every single "HD remix/remake" is just enhanced ports.

Enhanced ports all around!

Basically, funny when you think about it since actual remakes seem very rare.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#13LightHawKnightPosted 8/30/2013 8:53:43 PM
Why are trolls so worked up about WW?
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#14ZerothmaPosted 8/30/2013 8:54:34 PM
It's been changed a bit, most notably the graphics and a few areas of gameplay. So, it's not really a direct port. It's not really a remake either, since it really is the same game but just tweaked a bit. It's somewhere in the middle ground a bit closer to port IMO.

That said, I see most people calling it a port or an HD remake so I don't know what there was to warrant this topic being made.
---
Cleaning up inaccuracies on the internet, one idiot at a time.
"A delayed game is eventually good, while a bad game is bad forever."-Shigeru Miyamoto
#15Luigi4PresidentPosted 8/30/2013 8:54:43 PM
I consider it a "remastering"
---
Love is grand - Divorce is a hundred grand
You guys are a riot a minute!
#16TalentedMPosted 8/30/2013 8:55:18 PM
KingBeetle posted...
VoIodislavu posted...
A remake is when you recreate something entirely from scratch.

So you mean a new game.

Except when you use something already created it is then called a "reboot".

See, WORDS!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#17Jacob46719Posted 8/30/2013 8:56:59 PM
Zerothma posted...
It's been changed a bit, most notably the graphics and a few areas of gameplay. So, it's not really a direct port. It's not really a remake either, since it really is the same game but just tweaked a bit. It's somewhere in the middle ground a bit closer to port IMO.

That said, I see most people calling it a port or an HD remake so I don't know what there was to warrant this topic being made.

it's a HD remake. if it isn't, no game is.
---
Buying These: Mario 3D World, WWHD, SSB4, SSB4, MK8, Watch Dogs, CoD: Ghosts, Pokemon Y, Zelda: ALBW, X
May Buy These: PS4, Infamous: SS, Destiny, ESO
#18Nerreltron9000Posted 8/30/2013 8:57:16 PM
But being built from the ground up doesn't guarantee the game will feel better. Look at Starfox 64 3D- It wasn't ported. It was rebuilt from scratch... and it still feels like the same damn game.

Ocarina of Time 3D was ported. It used the original game's code... yet it feels much more like an improvement than Starfox 3D did. I don't think anyone (who's played it) would argue that OOT 3D isn't a new experience, even if it wasn't built from scratch like Resident Evil or Zero Mission.

It doesn't really matter if WWHD is using the original code and a lot of the same assets. Those things don't need to be changed to make the game better. The game is being handled as if this is a do-over where all of the shortcomings from the original development are being fixed.

That's what separates this from a simple port. It's not as startlingly different on the surface as REmake was, but almost as much change is going on under the surface to make the game play better.
#19TalentedMPosted 8/30/2013 8:57:37 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
Why are trolls so worked up about WW?

Something to talk about.

To be fair without people like Slime, Astral and the rest this place would be kinda boring.
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#20SunshineladyPosted 8/30/2013 9:01:16 PM
HD ports of old Gamecube games are the sure fire to save Wii U from the dying.
---
You don't know how they lost a heart? It was probably Tartaros. That heart breaker.