Why do people insist Wind Waker is a remake and not a port?

#31DBPanterAPosted 8/31/2013 12:33:21 AM
It doesn't matter if it is a remake, port, etc. What matters to Nintendo is sales. Let's see how many sales this game does come their Q3 report at the end of January. Remember, Nintendo will count a sale of the game for every Zelda Deluxe bundle they sell. The original on the Gamecube sold around 4.6 million units. Let's see if it breaks a million.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#32ElectricMolePosted 8/31/2013 12:49:57 AM
an HD remake of Mario Sunshine should be next.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#33mikebrand83Posted 8/31/2013 1:57:59 AM
Zerothma posted...
It's been changed a bit, most notably the graphics and a few areas of gameplay. So, it's not really a direct port. It's not really a remake either, since it really is the same game but just tweaked a bit. It's somewhere in the middle ground a bit closer to port IMO.

Given that some HD ports quite literally do little more than just upscale original textures, then lay them on top of original models on higher resolution, then applies anti-aliasing on top to hide any jaggies (particularly painful case of this was the Prince of Persia HD collection, which apparently not only kept all of the game breaking bugs of Warriors Within, but introduced new ones into both of the other PoP games)...

WWHD, with very noticeably reworked skybox (even if most textures otherwise look like they've just been cleaned up), reworked graphical effects, reworked some of the gameplay, and perhaps most obvious is that they completely reworked the lighting and added real-time shadows. That's a hell of a lot more work put into it than the usual "HD collection".

So yeah, quite obviously not a full remake, but just as obviously not a simple port either.
#34Dark_Link92Posted 8/31/2013 2:07:59 AM
Nerreltron9000 posted...

Ocarina of Time 3D was ported. It used the original game's code... yet it feels much more like an improvement than Starfox 3D did. I don't think anyone (who's played it) would argue that OOT 3D isn't a new experience, even if it wasn't built from scratch like Resident Evil or Zero Mission.

It doesn't really matter if WWHD is using the original code and a lot of the same assets. Those things don't need to be changed to make the game better. The game is being handled as if this is a do-over where all of the shortcomings from the original development are being fixed.

Because of dated sound effects, and clunky, unchanged animations, I was constantly reminded I was playing an N64 game with some nice new graphics. They make it look nice, yeah, but they won't change a lot of things that would otherwise make it seem new and fresh. Even FireRed and LeafGreen had all their music updated. Orchestrated tracks, at least a few of them, would be great in this game, but they're too lazy to do it, because its a cash grab and nothing more.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#35MarblesbunbunPosted 8/31/2013 2:32:10 AM
Moohaha2 posted...
A port is a direct copy. Like virtual console games. So it's not a port if ANYTHING is different, and the graphics clearly are. Maybe it's closer to something in between.

There are ports and enhanced ports.
This is an enhanced port, much like Halo Anniversary and FInal Fantasy 4 complete collection

Both had improved graphics, new difficulty, features and modes but the core game was the exact same.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#36DeathSoul2000Posted 8/31/2013 4:30:14 AM
Dark_Link92 posted...
Nerreltron9000 posted...

Ocarina of Time 3D was ported. It used the original game's code... yet it feels much more like an improvement than Starfox 3D did. I don't think anyone (who's played it) would argue that OOT 3D isn't a new experience, even if it wasn't built from scratch like Resident Evil or Zero Mission.

It doesn't really matter if WWHD is using the original code and a lot of the same assets. Those things don't need to be changed to make the game better. The game is being handled as if this is a do-over where all of the shortcomings from the original development are being fixed.

Because of dated sound effects, and clunky, unchanged animations, I was constantly reminded I was playing an N64 game with some nice new graphics. They make it look nice, yeah, but they won't change a lot of things that would otherwise make it seem new and fresh. Even FireRed and LeafGreen had all their music updated. Orchestrated tracks, at least a few of them, would be great in this game, but they're too lazy to do it, because its a cash grab and nothing more.

Because chiptune music would've sounded pathetic on a the GBA. And FR/LG had horrible remixes.
#37Sad_FacePosted 8/31/2013 7:28:01 AM
Firstly, the graphics have been changed way beyond the resolution:

http://i.imgur.com/vNtNDM3.png

Secondly, there are a lot of added features, a newly added hero mode, added pictograph functionality, faster sail power, and changing the last 3rd of the game to be more enjoyable as well as miiverse integration.

Looks like a remake to me.
#38dancing_cactuarPosted 8/31/2013 7:33:27 AM
It's neither, but it leans a bit more towards remake due to the changes inherent in the game, so people label it as a remake.
---
I am pro Nintendo on the Nintendo board, so I am not a troll. - Greer
#39segagamerPosted 8/31/2013 7:45:39 AM
TC, why don't you ask Nintendo yourself?