Optional Installs?

#1themoth2112Posted 8/31/2013 1:23:37 AM
Why doesn't Nintendo allow for people to have the option of installing their games like Microsoft does?
I think it's a pretty good idea to at least give us the option.

If you have a big hard drive to fit the install, then you get to do it! Whilst the flash storage makes it unable to install it.

I'd buy an external hard drive to install Lego Coty and make those load times cut in half.
---
mothmusic.tumblr.com
#2P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 8/31/2013 1:53:56 AM
Long load times on the Wii U are due to devs not compressing the data (with Discs at 25GB minimum I can guess why), and opting to load large portions of the game at once instead of just what is essential.

I don't think an install would help as the data would still be spread out and the Wii U disc reads are already much closer to the USB2.0 HDD speed than the PS3 or 360. And from what I've observed on the 360 (which read faster than the PS3) speeds only increase by a couple of seconds at most from an install.
---
NNID: Ko-san
"SUUUPERRR!"
#3Shadowbird_RHPosted 8/31/2013 3:19:16 AM
If you want to install a game, buy it digitally.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#4The_King82Posted 8/31/2013 3:39:30 AM
Ah yes, that "massive" 32GB drive or that "fast" USB 2.0 speed would be perfect for installations.

*massive meaning tiny and *fast meaning slow.
---
8GB OF GDDR5 RAM!!!!!
#5SolisPosted 8/31/2013 4:19:37 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
Long load times on the Wii U are due to devs not compressing the data (with Discs at 25GB minimum I can guess why), and opting to load large portions of the game at once instead of just what is essential.

I don't think an install would help as the data would still be spread out and the Wii U disc reads are already much closer to the USB2.0 HDD speed than the PS3 or 360. And from what I've observed on the 360 (which read faster than the PS3) speeds only increase by a couple of seconds at most from an install.

The long loading times on the Wii U are much more likely to be due to a lack of any storage medium to cache or install data to, which means that everything needs to be loaded solely from the disc. Where in the world is there evidence that ANY of these games have used uncompressed data more often than games on other systems have?

And an install could help tremendously, even just installing Xbox 360 games on a USB 2.0 drive can have a huge impact on loading times.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-storage-update-the-flash-factor-article?page=4

Loading Half-Life 2
DVD - 00:44.5
16GB ByteStor - 00:23.5

Loading Episode 1
DVD - 00:38.0
16GB ByteStor - 00:20.5

Loading Portal
DVD - 00:34.5
16GB ByteStor - 00:20.0
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#6nonexistingheroPosted 8/31/2013 4:41:31 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. The Wii U's disc read speed is much faster than the 360 & PS3. It also has faster memory and faster + more RAM. The long load times are purely an effect of poor optimization.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#7EoinPosted 8/31/2013 4:43:29 AM
Solis posted...
Where in the world is there evidence that ANY of these games have used uncompressed data more often than games on other systems have?

It seems like standard Wii U board "blame it on lazy devs" policy.

Solis posted...
And an install could help tremendously, even just installing Xbox 360 games on a USB 2.0 drive can have a huge impact on loading times.

Yeah, and that's even with the Xbox 360 having a crippled USB 2.0 implementation. The Wii U's (presumably) faster implementation of USB 2.0 would probably result in similar improvements even over the Wii U's faster drive speed.