When will Nintendo finally be forced to implement an achievements system?

#41NovaLevossidaPosted 9/2/2013 1:09:53 AM
mcsmellington posted...
squatch22 posted...
^That. ..

Achievements for finishing obligatory tutorials and stuff too.

A little pat on the back for taking the time to finish one of Nintendo's needlessly long and drawn out tutorials wouldn't be too bad, would it?

Faster text speed in all Zelda games and the ability to skip tutorials in any game should be mandatory.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#42STN79Posted 9/2/2013 1:10:16 AM
Trophys don't unlock anything for use in the actual game to make playthroughs more fun. They are useless and serve no purpose other than to make replays a chore. If i wanna replay a game i'll do it because i enjoy the game and not so i can fill some collection of stupid little icons that do absolutely nothing. Achievements bah! In my day we made up our own goals for videogames.
Stuff Like playing through Nes Ninja gaiden without ever losing a life.

On a side note i have seen Achievements in games that actually unlock stuff and those are much more rewarding cause you know, you get an actual reward!

A few examples are Resident evil revelations with it's raid mode unlockables.
Also on Shinobi 3DS there's a list in the game of extras like characters, artwork and soundtrack samples that are unlocked through an achievement system. Oh and Sonic all stars racing transformed on Wii U has the sticker book which basically is like having trophies only it's in game.

So yeah to sum it up, No unlockables = what's my motivation for an icon that is basically a virtual pat on the back?
---
"for us its about games, about the fun, about the entertainment value, and not about the tech. reggie fils-aime
#43mikebrand83Posted 9/2/2013 1:14:50 AM
fuzi11 posted...
I can understand achievements if you finish a puzzle without help or find a super secret area or finished the game 100% with all collectibles or did a monster combo in a fighting game or anything.

It's like getting a participation certificate at the federal youth games, just because you sucked so much you couldn't get a medal.

I concur. Nothing wrong with "achievements" rewarded to players for going out of their way to find various secrets and collectables tucked away into games, or to reward players for experimenting and playing games in ways they might not normally consider (of course, most well made games will encourage this anyway, without needing any artificial incentives to do so).

... But "achievements" for simply playing the game normally? That makes an already artificial incentive even more hollow.
#44Banjo2553Posted 9/2/2013 1:19:16 AM
It might happen, it might not. Sony's PS3 didn't start off with the trophy system, and they later implemented it due to fan's requests. A number of Nintendo's games already contain achievements, some of them literally just being titles like on 360/PS3, it's just not a universal system yet.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#45maddgamzPosted 9/2/2013 2:14:49 AM
STN79 posted...
Trophys don't unlock anything for use in the actual game to make playthroughs more fun. They are useless and serve no purpose other than to make replays a chore. If i wanna replay a game i'll do it because i enjoy the game and not so i can fill some collection of stupid little icons that do absolutely nothing. Achievements bah! In my day we made up our own goals for videogames.
Stuff Like playing through Nes Ninja gaiden without ever losing a life.

On a side note i have seen Achievements in games that actually unlock stuff and those are much more rewarding cause you know, you get an actual reward!

A few examples are Resident evil revelations with it's raid mode unlockables.
Also on Shinobi 3DS there's a list in the game of extras like characters, artwork and soundtrack samples that are unlocked through an achievement system. Oh and Sonic all stars racing transformed on Wii U has the sticker book which basically is like having trophies only it's in game.

So yeah to sum it up, No unlockables = what's my motivation for an icon that is basically a virtual pat on the back?

I think this is the best post i have ever seen on gamefaqs! I agree i like to make up my own challenges in a game. A game can last as long as you want it to!
#46Pharsti01Posted 9/2/2013 2:52:15 AM
Mandrew257 posted...
They dont need achievements.

This, games dont need achievements, never did, never will.

And if theres one thing that baffles the mind is the kind of people this gen has brought, that play games for achievements just for their epenises.
---
Democracy is when 2 wolves and a sheep meet to decide who is for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has a gun.
#47NerdimusPrimePosted 9/2/2013 2:58:02 AM
Dersu_Uzala posted...
I don't like them either, but you have to admit they sell games, and encourage people to stick with one particular hardware manufacturer to boost their score across multiple platforms.

I'd rather keep my games instead of my Gamerscore.
---
If you value privacy please sign here: https://optin.stopwatching.us/
#48arvilinoPosted 9/2/2013 3:11:20 AM(edited)
Pharsti01 posted...
Mandrew257 posted...
They dont need achievements.

This, games dont need achievements, never did, never will.

And if theres one thing that baffles the mind is the kind of people this gen has brought, that play games for achievements just for their epenises.

So basically the audience Microsoft helped cultivate.

Yeah I don't really seen why Nintendo should have a system that has grown men playing barbies horse adventure for a couple of hours because they're rewarded the same amount of points/trophies as if they 100% a challenging game they were actually interested in playing.

When the best way to gain the most achievements is to play the easiest games what's really the point?
---
"The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time."
#49blankempathyPosted 9/2/2013 3:08:12 AM
AwayFromHere posted...
They do not sell games.

I'm sure people buy those cheap used games that are 1-5 bucks and play them only for achievements. Its actually a bit sad.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#50lightningbugxPosted 9/2/2013 3:10:06 AM
If the developer wants achievements, they can make their own and implement it themselves. The only thing Nintendo can do is offer a user entry for storing this information in the format the developer prefers.

The greatest challenge here is creating a system that is open.