Bethesda: Nintendo didn't engage third-party enough before Wii U reveal

#1Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 9/2/2013 8:50:42 AM
http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2013/09/02/bethesda-nintendo-didnt-engage-third-party-enough-before-wii-u-reveal/

Bethesda’s Pete Hines has poured scorn on Nintendo’s efforts to discuss their intentions for Wii U with third-party publishers ahead of the console’s announcement.

Asked as to what the company could do once again attract them, Hines stated that the time for that “has long past” and that Microsoft and Sony involve them in the design process far more.

“The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long past. The box is out,” Hines explained on Bonus Round. “You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time.

“And it’s not that every time we met with them we got all the answers we wanted. But they involved us very early on, and talking to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox, they say ‘here’s what we’re doing, here’s what we’re planning, here’s how we think it’s going to work’ to hear what we thought – from our tech guys and from an experience standpoint.”

He continued, “You have to spend an unbelievable amount of time upfront doing that. If you’re just going sort off deciding ‘we’re going to make a box and this is how it works and you should make games for it.’ Well, no. No is my answer, I’m going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we’re trying to do.

“So you’ve gotta spend more time trying to reach out to those folks before you even make the box, when you’re still designing and thinking about how it’s going to work.”

Nintendo might want to take some pointers from MS and Sony on how to interact with third party devs if they ever want this console to get decent Third Party support. As long as they have been in the industry you think they would be a lot better at dealing with third parties. Their stubborn refusal to accommodate third parties may very will be the downfall of the Wii U.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#2FayeLadyPosted 9/2/2013 8:52:52 AM
I don't think that is very debatable. But it would have mattered a lot less if Sony had not taken so much consensus when building PS4.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#3UNSC_A98Posted 9/2/2013 8:58:55 AM
Makes a lot of sense, if you don't take the developer's input, they wont support you.
---
"**** that loser" -- Jay Wilson on the 20th of August, 2012.
The above post brought to you by the NSA. We're always watching you.
#4Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 9:01:44 AM
UNSC_A98 posted...
Makes a lot of sense, if you don't take the developer's input, they wont support you.

Very true. The lack of quality third party software is primarily Nintendos fault.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
#5VeryDarkSoulPosted 9/2/2013 9:02:21 AM
Translation: "We currently hire a team of goats as our programmers, and we don't want to pay these goats to port our popular titles to the Wii U , since it's so much different than the xbone and ps4. Programming tablet features would take too long."
---
Ron Paul 2012
#6GloryChaosPosted 9/2/2013 9:12:18 AM
Yeah, that sounds like Nintendo to me. They just sort of make whatever decisions they want and you're usually supposed to roll with it. None of the developers outside of EAD knew about Year of Luigi. Even within Nintendo EAD itself, developers were asked to develop a game without even knowing what console it would be developed on (read the Iwata Asks for New Super Mario Bros. U).

The lack of analog triggers also shows that they didn't really care what other developers would want to do with games. Aside from themselves of course.

I'm up for arguing with anyone who believes that Nintendo LTD does a better job with third party Devs outside of simply approaching and paying people to make games. But right now, I just find that very hard to believe.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#7UNSC_A98Posted 9/2/2013 9:22:35 AM
VeryDarkSoul posted...
Translation: "We currently hire a team of goats as our programmers, and we don't want to pay these goats to port our popular titles to the Wii U , since it's so much different than the xbone and ps4. Programming tablet features would take too long."

You're absolutely right, why pay employees for something that isn't worth their time/effort/energy. You want to maximize your profits not waste them. It's like asking why you can't run Crysis 3 on PowerPC hardware. Not worth their effort.

Nintendo also was not helpful to Crytek, so no Crysis 3 for Wii U. And this goes on further for years, FF7 is when Squaresoft left Nintendo as they went with Cartridge of CD.
---
"**** that loser" -- Jay Wilson on the 20th of August, 2012.
The above post brought to you by the NSA. We're always watching you.
#8Fisto81Posted 9/2/2013 10:42:50 AM
Nintendo fans to Bugthesda: please keep your buggy, half-baked, boring games off of Nintendo platforms. Kthxbai.

BTW UNSC, you DO realize that Crysis 3 is on 360 and PS3, which are both Power PC, right? And Crytek had Cry Engine 3 running beautifully on Wii U before EA did a 180 and decided to actively try and destroy Nintendo,,,,
#9Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 10:49:44 AM
VeryDarkSoul posted...

When will you guys hold Nintendo accountable for their mistreatment of third parties?
---
#10The13DoctorsPosted 9/2/2013 10:49:49 AM
Implying Bethesda would have made a game for the system regardless.
---
Platinum, Monolith, Atlus, Retro, Next Level Games | Sonic + [Mega Man?]
Good time to be a Nintendo Gamer :D