Bethesda... How early is "early"?

#1darkqueenhelbaPosted 9/2/2013 12:38:50 PM
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=211328

Weren't devs included "early" on? Anyone know the time frame? Sounds like another excuse that runs rampant in this industry/world now.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#2FayeLadyPosted 9/2/2013 12:41:46 PM
Well, Sony used questionnaires during the designing phase. This is where they realized developers really wanted a single pool of high speed memory to use, and didn't want an exotic design.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#3quickposterPosted 9/2/2013 12:44:08 PM
WTF is he on about? Gearbox, Team Ninja, Ubisoft, Treyarch and many others confirmed Nintendo kept changing the hardware according to their feedback.
#4darkqueenhelba(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 12:44:19 PM
FayeLady posted...
Well, Sony used questionnaires during the designing phase. This is where they realized developers really wanted a single pool of high speed memory to use, and didn't want an exotic design.

Well, if that's all they did I'd say Bethesda is splitting hairs.
---
#5NovaLevossidaPosted 9/2/2013 12:47:06 PM
quickposter posted...
WTF is he on about? Gearbox, Team Ninja, Ubisoft, Treyarch and many others confirmed Nintendo kept changing the hardware according to their feedback.

And this is what they ended up with? That doesn't sound right.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#6EoinPosted 9/2/2013 12:53:27 PM
darkqueenhelba posted...

That's not "all" they did. That's what they started with, in around 2008. Assuming a typical lifecycle, for Nintendo's next console, if they wanted to replicate this kind of early developer involvement, they'd need to start doing so this year.
#7quickposterPosted 9/2/2013 12:55:39 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
And this is what they ended up with? That doesn't sound right.

They were extremely clear in what they wanted from the system from the start. The developers gave them feedback taking that into consideration. This sounds more like "hardcore mature gamers buy power so they didn't cater the hardware to us power pushers". That is how this comes off to me anyway.

I still believe every naysayer of Wii U is in for a serious wake up call next year. When it becomes apparent power doesn't sell beyond a minority I wonder if these companies will be as excited about X1 and PS4 as they are now.
#8darkqueenhelba(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 12:57:59 PM
Eoin posted...
darkqueenhelba posted...

That's not "all" they did. That's what they started with, in around 2008. Assuming a typical lifecycle, for Nintendo's next console, if they wanted to replicate this kind of early developer involvement, they'd need to start doing so this year.

Questionnaire don't mean two rat turds. At the end of the day what 3rd parties get is what they get. They can make all the suggestions they want, doesn't mean they'll get everything. So yeah, splitting hairs. 3rd parties at launch could have really shown some quality/creative games, instead they decided to give us lazy, tired ports.
---
#9JackalPosted 9/2/2013 1:00:06 PM
"Early" is probably before they built the dev units. After that all they can do is tweak.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#10IokuaPosted 9/2/2013 1:03:17 PM
quickposter posted...

I wouldn't trust them on that, since the Gearbox in question is the Gearbox that made Aliens: Colonial Marines, lied about how the game would look, run and play, and didn't actually work on the Wii U version that never surfaced.

How early is early? Well, Sony had basic PS4 dev kits out in late 2011, worked with developers to make sure the system was not only developer friendly but powerful as they would need it to be. Nintendo announced the Wii U and most developers didn't even know what it was. Every single developer in the industry should have known what to expect and they did not. Nintendo is as backwards as you can get when it comes to third party relations and their last four consoles have suffered as a result.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.