So European WiiU owners, what are you buying?

#31fuzi11Posted 9/3/2013 4:21:19 AM
AdamLazaruso posted...
Oh my bad I didn't realise the UK and Europe aren't the same place.

Plz. The UK is probably the biggest video game market in Europe. If it didn't sell well in the UK then it didn't sell well in the rest of Europe.

Seeing as Germany is the highest populated country in Europe with 80 million (except if you count russia for whatever reason, they have 104000000) and France, UK and Italy have a comparable population size with 60000000, I would say that your baseless opinion is not correct. I assume you think that way because english is the primary language in UK and internationally it is easier to find videogame related UK news in English rather than German news in English.
#32fuzi11Posted 9/3/2013 4:24:36 AM
AdamLazaruso posted...
Lightning Strikes posted...
It only fell to 5th individually. And it's not like 15th second week is not bad at all for an exclusive. It's also been out for 5-6 weeks so staying in The charts for that long is positive.

And no, I live here and the UK is not the biggest market in Europe, that would be France or Germany, especially for Nintendo games. Really there is not a dominating market force in Europe like there is in North America though.

By the way, Pikmin 2 debuted at 32nd. Pikmin 3 debuted at second. Not a bomb, since success is always relative to expectations and absolutely nothing else.

Major electronic stores in Germany don't even sell 3DS stuff, let alone Wii U.

I can't say anything for France.

I'm sorry what? I live in germany and I am more or less regularely in Saturn, Medimax, Media Markt, even Conrad, and they all have 3DS and Wii U stuff. Don't tell lies. And I just live in Schleswig Holstein.
#33AdamLazarusoPosted 9/3/2013 4:37:04 AM(edited)
fuzi11 posted...
AdamLazaruso posted...

Plz. The UK is probably the biggest video game market in Europe. If it didn't sell well in the UK then it didn't sell well in the rest of Europe.

Seeing as Germany is the highest populated country in Europe with 80 million (except if you count russia for whatever reason, they have 104000000) and France, UK and Italy have a comparable population size with 60000000, I would say that your baseless opinion is not correct. I assume you think that way because english is the primary language in UK and internationally it is easier to find videogame related UK news in English rather than German news in English.

I'm saying that because it's an objective fact. It's really funny that you think you can judge the size of a market on country's population though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/germany-becomes-europes-top-market

fuzi11 posted...
I'm sorry what? I live in germany and I am more or less regularely in Saturn, Medimax, Media Markt, even Conrad, and they all have 3DS and Wii U stuff. Don't tell lies. And I just live in Schleswig Holstein.

Fair enough if that's true for you. My local Saturn (in Erlangen) had about a shelf of 3DS stuff and no Wii U stuff at all.

Regardless, would you agree that your local stores have much bigger sections for other systems than Nintendo systems? Because all I was really arguing against was that guy's assertion that Nintendo is popular in Germany. The impression I got while living in Germany was that the PC was far more popular than the consoles.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#34AdamLazarusoPosted 9/3/2013 4:34:36 AM
The Wonderful 101 only came in at #50 in Germany in its opening weekend btw.

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41511/Germany/

Data doesn't seem to be available for last week yet.
---
#35fuzi11Posted 9/3/2013 4:48:32 AM(edited)
AdamLazaruso posted...
fuzi11 posted...
AdamLazaruso posted...

I'm saying that because it's an objective fact. It's really funny that you think you can judge the size of a market on country's population though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/germany-becomes-europes-top-market

My point was not, that Germany is the biggest video game market in Europe but that you can't just toss the other major territories aside. France and Germany both are also big players in that market.

Also England is mostly on the PS/XBox, while Germany and France tend to be more on the Nintendo side. (Just because they do that, doesn't mean the Wii U sells like hot cakes there, the Wii actually sells better here)

fuzi11 posted...

Fair enough if that's true for you. My local Saturn (in Erlangen) had about a shelf of 3DS stuff and no Wii U stuff at all.

Regardless, would you agree that your local stores have much bigger sections for other systems than Nintendo systems? Because all I was really arguing against was that guy's assertion that Nintendo is popular in Germany.

Well the DS section is bigger than the 3DS section, as is the Wii section compared to the Wii U section, if that is what you mean, but it is easily explained by the fact that there are more DS and Wii games out than 3DS and Wii U games. The library is bigger.

The same goes with Blue-Rays and DVDs. The DVD library is just bigger than the Blue-Ray library, that's why it takes up more space. That doesn't mean, that Blue-Rays are dying.

The PS3 section is approx as big as the Xbox 360 section, but in general it is the same size as the wii one. Again, because the library is bigger.

I would even say the Vita section is smaller than the Wii U section, and the Wii U section is a joke. It has probably just 15 games or some, but again, this is due to the amount of games available for the Wii U. And probably because the Wii U doesn't sell well.

The 3DS games do sell well, especially on sales.
#36AdamLazarusoPosted 9/3/2013 4:53:32 AM
fuzi11 posted...
Also England is mostly on the PS/XBox

This just isn't true. I don't know how this board has convinced itself of that. The Wii was much more popular than the PS3 or 360 here. The DS was immensely popular. The 3DS is immensely popular. The only Nintendo system that doesn't sell in the UK is the Wii UK.

while Germany and France tend to be more on the Nintendo side. (Just because they do that, doesn't mean the Wii U sells like hot cakes there, the Wii actually sells better here)

As I said in my edit above, my impression from living in Germany is that the PC is more popular than anything else. I also noticed a lack of Nintendo support in my local Saturn but perhaps that's just down to the one store!
---
#37NovaeGamerPosted 9/3/2013 5:01:24 AM
AdamLazaruso posted...
fuzi11 posted...

This just isn't true. I don't know how this board has convinced itself of that. The Wii was much more popular than the PS3 or 360 here. The DS was immensely popular. The 3DS is immensely popular. The only Nintendo system that doesn't sell in the UK is the Wii UK.

while Germany and France tend to be more on the Nintendo side. (Just because they do that, doesn't mean the Wii U sells like hot cakes there, the Wii actually sells better here)

As I said in my edit above, my impression from living in Germany is that the PC is more popular than anything else. I also noticed a lack of Nintendo support in my local Saturn but perhaps that's just down to the one store!

...PC is more popular in Germany, but thats true for every country in existance......

I can also confirm that in my local Media-Saturns, there are no underrepresentations of Nintendo stuff (Our "main" Saturn/Media Markt even has its own "WiiU-Podium" with its dedicated "WiiU"-employee....(With an WiiU-Shirt...)
#38fuzi11Posted 9/3/2013 5:07:28 AM(edited)
AdamLazaruso posted...
fuzi11 posted...

okay, you may be right on this one, I probably read it here somewhere and had it in my memory saved as fact. I decline this argument, just forget about it.

And yes, of course, the PC has by far the biggest section. I was just not talking about those, as these are not considered consoles here in those boards and there are people with pitch forks and torches hunting one down when mentioning the master race ;)