To me, a 32 yo gaming veteran, the wii U does a lot right.

#101wonderful121(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 11:18:33 PM
Avirosb posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
By default it's better than the Wii, as it can do everything the Wii does, plus some.
Sadly it lacks Gamecube support =(

Well at least it has bc
#102niels200683Posted 9/3/2013 11:27:11 PM
omescythe posted...
its nice that some people have been gaming for a long time but there is a clear lack of knowledge about games that are not on Nintendo systems. you got play on all systems all types of games to understand.

This. Wii U is great, Wii was great too - not the casual-only machine everyone makes it out to be: I own over 150 non-casual games on it. Most of them are great games, too!

But I wouldn't give up my PS3 with over 150 games (none of which are military 'dudebro' shooters) either.

Everyone should just cut their food budget in half so they can afford multiple consoles.The world would be a better place AND there would be an end to obesity!
---
Doris Lessing:
There's no fool like an intellectual - a kind of clever stupidity bred out of a line of logic in the head, nothing to do with experience.
#103Rocky2418Posted 9/3/2013 11:27:56 PM
kenff6 posted...
Rocky2418 posted...
(Technically, saying it's the best since the SNES doesn't mean they necessarily are comparing the two. They're just saying that, to them, the Wii U is better than all the systems that came after the SNES. So, for example, if they gave the SNES a 10 out of 10, then the next few systems a 6, and then the Wii U an 8, that would mean they think it's the best since the SNES - while still being worse than the SNES. Just for what it's worth.)

Can I ask how the Wii U is better than the N64, Gamecube, and Wii? Especially the N64 with timeless games like Mario 64, Ocarina, Goldeneye....

I'm just not seeing how the Wii U ( a system still in its infancy with a very small library of games) is somehow better than practically every other Nintendo system. Such a statement just doesn't make any sense.

I actually don't think the Wii U is better than all those systems you listed. If you look back at what I wrote - specifically, what I kept of my last post in the re-quoted part above - you'll see that I said "them" or "they", etc., 5 times; never "I" or "me". Further, the comparison ratings numbers I used were completely hypothetical, just to explain what I was trying to say.

The truth is, since I am still patiently waiting for and don't own a Wii U yet, I certainly can't rank it with ones that I have owned. If we're only talking about the systems on which games originally were released, I'd have to say SNES, then N64 and Wii in either order. (I skipped over the Gamecube era, then caught up with those games via the Wii later. And most NES games are a little too rough around the edges and unpolished for me to like as much as SNES ones - as in, A Link to the Past is far more enjoyable to me than Zelda 1.) But if we're talking about everything a system can do, I flat out have to put the Wii above SNES and N64 - simply because I can now play all those SNES and N64 games I used to own in cartridge form on one compact system (except for a few that were never put on the VC service, like Illusion of Gaia, Yoshi's Island, and DK64), in addition to actual Wii titles like the Mario Galaxy games.

So, to reiterate, I'm merely saying that I've had fun with the Wii U, in the limited use I've had thus far; not saying it's better than all those other systems - I just enjoy it, that's all.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#104wonderful121(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 11:32:18 PM
niels200683 posted...
omescythe posted...
its nice that some people have been gaming for a long time but there is a clear lack of knowledge about games that are not on Nintendo systems. you got play on all systems all types of games to understand.

This. Wii U is great, Wii was great too - not the casual-only machine everyone makes it out to be: I own over 150 non-casual games on it. Most of them are great games, too!

But I wouldn't give up my PS3 with over 150 games (none of which are military 'dudebro' shooters) either.

Everyone should just cut their food budget in half so they can afford multiple consoles.The world would be a better place AND there would be an end to obesity!

It remains a stupid assumption that I only play nintendo systems. Next time read the threadz
#105Rocky2418Posted 9/3/2013 11:49:49 PM
omescythe posted...

Just to chime in on that thought: Absolutely, if you're going to criticize other companies' systems or even just compare them with Nintendo's, it should go without saying that it is completely illogical to do so if you don't own those other systems or haven't played them much or at all.

As for me, I've just sort of grown up around Nintendo systems, and they appeal to me more than other ones. My interests are admittedly centered more around the many Zelda and Mario games, in addition to plenty of other gems like Chrono Trigger. I've played games on other systems that my friends have owned over time, and, while objectively solid games, they just aren't as fun for my personal taste. So, as I have little experience with other companies' systems, it would be ridiculous for me to compare or praise one over the other. I just know the types of games that I enjoy, and they'll generally end up being Nintendo games. I still acknowledge that the other systems out there naturally do better than Nintendo in various aspects.

I'm certainly not one to only sing the praises of Nintendo. For instance, I'm quite ticked off that, after almost 2 years, they still haven't let non-Ambassadors purchase the various GBA games; or the common issue that downloads are linked to a system rather than an account; or that there's a limit of 5 system transfers for the 3DS - seriously, what purpose does that serve? (Those last two issues are the reason why I can't bring myself to "go digital", even though I'd prefer the convenience.) And many other gripes. I'm certainly frustrated with them for many reasons. But at the end of the day, they're the company best suited to my taste in games. Not better than others, just better for me.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#106XenoFFvsPosted 9/3/2013 11:59:07 PM
Did anyone else notice that the 32 year old gaming veteran is a new user?

Catfish is baiting you guys.
---
Brawl Code:4639-9502-2693_Razor
PSN ID: xXAnTeRXx
#107wonderful121(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 12:11:25 AM
XenoFFvs posted...
Did anyone else notice that the 32 year old gaming veteran is a new user?

Catfish is baiting you guys.

I am in no way a new user bro.
#108AwayFromHerePosted 9/4/2013 12:19:51 AM
Yeah, the system is great. It's Nintendo's handling of it that is bad.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#109wonderful121(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 12:33:28 AM
AwayFromHere posted...
Yeah, the system is great. It's Nintendo's handling of it that is bad.

Yep. And they had their setbacks
#110STN79Posted 9/4/2013 1:01:31 AM(edited)
I've always been a Nintendo die hard ever since owning my Nes at 6 years old. I am in no way though a slave to the brand. I also have owned every playstation but i'll admit it took a while for me to warm up to Sony consoles. I just felt dirty somehow. Like i'd betrayed an old friend. Then i actually started to see what i was missing. For example when i finally bought a PS1 one of the first games i chose was the original Resident evil. That game scared the crap right outta me and that was an experience no Nintendo game ever gave me. Nintendo was all about colorful worlds and cutesy characters and for a time in my teens and early 20's i was sorta getting tired of that. So i decided to expand my horizons and see what playstation had to offer. I wasn't doing it to look cooler to my friends and i didn't care if i was edgy or hard core enough.

That's where people get Nintendo wrong. They think oh this Mario, Zelda and Donkey kong is baby stuff. These kids get to be about 15 or so then suddenly it's all about being popular and putting on this tough guy act for their friends. I just never went through that faze i guess cause i didn't stop playing Nintendo games. Sometimes i'm in the mood for cute and cuddly and other times i want gore,violence and edgy stuff. With Nintendo and sony you can have both!
I just like videogames in general no matter what system they are on but Nintendo will always be my first love.
They are the reason i'm involved in the hobby to begin with.
---
"for us its about games, about the fun, about the entertainment value, and not about the tech. reggie fils-aime