Lack of Trophy system on Wii U gives little incentive to finish Nintendo games

#201CompassPosted 9/4/2013 5:59:09 PM
devastatorX2 posted...
Mii Verse allows you to tell other people what games you have played.
Do you know what else does that and does that even better? A trophy or achievement system.

It is fun to unlock trophy icons with artwork of game characters and share & compare
that information with your friends.

Nintendo really fumbled the ball here.

I'm not reading this whole thread surely filled with damage control, but agreed 100%. Nintendo could come up with some really cool achievement/trophy-equivalent system and put their signature stamp on it, but they don't. I've heard their official excuse and am not buying it. More likely just plain laziness and/or complacency. Regardless, it sucks.
#202TerotrousPosted 9/4/2013 8:29:51 PM
Compass posted...
I'm not reading this whole thread surely filled with damage control, but agreed 100%. Nintendo could come up with some really cool achievement/trophy-equivalent system and put their signature stamp on it, but they don't.

They did, it's called Miiverse. They just really went back to the drawing board on it.

The real purpose of achievements was to add a social element to what can otherwise be a solitary experience. Miiverse serves the same fundamental purpose, it just does it in a very different way.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#203HermeticJusticePosted 9/4/2013 10:46:48 PM
ZEROthefirst posted...
HermeticJustice posted...
XBox doesn't have trophies either and they're doing great

They have achievement which for every game has the same requirements as on PS consoles. True they aren't trophies but they still give more incentive to play a game longer, just not as much as trophies on PSN.

I was being sarcastic

also some games have ingame achievements like Xenoblade Chronicles

I couldn't imagine a Nintendo console with trophies or achievements as part of the system, just seems out of place IMO
---
The Official Kerberos of the SMT IV Board + Friend Code: 4983 - 6166 - 9895
QVODSVPERIVS.MACROPROSOPVS + QVODINFERIVS.MICROPROSOPVS
#204Skull_proPosted 9/4/2013 10:49:25 PM
mcsmellington posted...
Jackal posted...
Would Nintendo's trophies look like coins? =)

That'd be a pretty cool idea. Could play the little Mario coin noise when you unlock one as well.

I concur. That would be pretty sweet. Each games could have 4 types of coins (like the 4 types of Trophies the PS3/PSV (and most likely PS4) have.

-Yellow coins (Like bronze trophies on PSN): Worth 1 coin
-Red Coins (Like Silver trophies): Worth 5 coins
-Blue Coins (Like gold trophies): Worth 10 coins
-Star Coins (Like when you get a Platinum on a PSN game after getting all the other trophies): Worth 50 coins

And every time you get 100 ''coins'' you get a 1-up (Sort of like the trophy level PSN has, minus the escalating number of trophy points required to level up)

And to people thinking it's a terrible idea to have an acheivement system on the WiiU: No one's forcing you to get them. I'm not going to sell my WiiU for it's lack of trophies. But it WOULD be a nice adition.
---
Live like a windrammer as you **** while seeing futures in balls-Whoever wrote to AVGN
3DS FC: 4339-2730-2396
#205mcsmellingtonPosted 9/5/2013 12:41:55 AM
Terotrous posted...
mcsmellington posted...

1. Yeah I completely agree it's not a huge chunk of the gaming populous. I thought your point though was that you believed people just don't care. Evidently they do, and furthermore we've got proof and (some) numbers. We've nothing confirming people don't care, just your analysis of what gamers want and think, which we can't really use for anything. With the achievement system you can get as involved in it as you want to. You can hunt them out, get them as and when you please, or turn off notifications completely (on PS3 only, I believe). It caters for the majority of the audience. Having no system alienates those that do enjoy collecting them, having something like Miiverse is a substitute, but there's no quantification to it, which again alienates the same crowd.

2. Again, this is entirely down to the individual, not the system.

3. If they don't like achievements, why have they included them in some form in their games before?

I see where you're coming from regarding the worth of each individual achievement. Again though you're deciding for the gaming populous what constitutes 'fun' and what doesn't. I'm sure some people play Just Dance 3 8 times a year at dinner parties for fun, without feeling any need to get better at it. I don't understand this need for everything to be tied into skill, achievements can just as easily be a record of what you've played, how far you got in it, how many times you beat it and on what difficulty, as opposed to 'i got the highest score'.
---
GT: McPoo Friend Code: 0146-9590-6349
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#206TerotrousPosted 9/5/2013 6:38:16 AM(edited)
mcsmellington posted...
Having no system alienates those that do enjoy collecting them, having something like Miiverse is a substitute, but there's no quantification to it, which again alienates the same crowd.

Not necessarily. You wrote below that not everyone cares about the quantification side, some people just want to know what games people have played and how they've played them, which Miiverse does offer. Miiverse also gives you the ability to share anything, not just a predefined list of achievements that the developers chose, so it's somewhat more flexible than the achievement system in certain ways.

3. If they don't like achievements, why have they included them in some form in their games before?

The only Nintendo-made games I'm aware of that include achievements are Wii Sports Resort and Nintendo Land. Are there others?

If not, it's kind of interesting that they put the achievements in their most "casual" games.

I see where you're coming from regarding the worth of each individual achievement. Again though you're deciding for the gaming populous what constitutes 'fun' and what doesn't.

The notion that getting better at a game is fun and addictive is so well-established that I'm not really "deciding" anything. This has basically been one of the most fundamental tenets of game design for decades, going all the way back to the original arcade games like Asteroids and Pac-Man. These games were very clear about giving you a fundamental measure of your progress and they had some of the widest reach of any games ever made.

achievements can just as easily be a record of what you've played, how far you got in it, how many times you beat it and on what difficulty

Miiverse can do all of these things though. The only thing it doesn't do is aggregate. So if you accept that having all these "freebie" achievements muddies the value of the aggregated score, Nintendo isn't really missing out on anything.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#207SuperShadowAcePosted 9/5/2013 8:50:10 AM
A game being good is incentive to finish it.
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile.
#208SlimeSwayzePosted 9/5/2013 8:53:08 AM
There are a lot of legitimate reasons to criticize the Wii U. This is not one of them.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#209STE573Posted 9/5/2013 9:21:26 AM
Terotrous posted...
Compass posted...
I'm not reading this whole thread surely filled with damage control, but agreed 100%. Nintendo could come up with some really cool achievement/trophy-equivalent system and put their signature stamp on it, but they don't.

They did, it's called Miiverse. They just really went back to the drawing board on it.

The real purpose of achievements was to add a social element to what can otherwise be a solitary experience. Miiverse serves the same fundamental purpose, it just does it in a very different way.

You cannot compare the two systems like that at all without looking at what Miiverse actually is. It is a social network. Not a persistant reward/progress system across all games. Unless you then bring it even further back and then describe PSN/XBL as social networks. Which would be silly.

Miiverse is not Nintendo's take on a Trophy system, they flat out don't have one in the sense we think of one. Yeah you can post stuff to Miiverse, but I can post when I get trophies to facebook in the same way.I don't even see how you got there if I'm being honest.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- X-STE-90-X Currently playing The Last of Us (PS3), Forza 3 (360), NSMBU (Wii U) and God of War HD (PS3).
#210GencoilPosted 9/5/2013 9:59:54 AM
If you need trophies as motivation to finish a game then that's just sad. How did you ever survive the earlier console generations?
---
www.klustr.net || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil