Lack of Trophy system on Wii U gives little incentive to finish Nintendo games

#211TerotrousPosted 9/5/2013 11:02:06 AM
STE573 posted...
You cannot compare the two systems like that at all without looking at what Miiverse actually is. It is a social network. Not a persistant reward/progress system across all games. Unless you then bring it even further back and then describe PSN/XBL as social networks. Which would be silly.

PSN and XBL clearly are social networks. Apparently, the main value of trophies is to show your friends and other people, which would be worthless if not for the social aspect.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#212jovewolfPosted 9/5/2013 12:08:01 PM
Trophies and achievements eh?

http://i.imgur.com/YphTBX4.png

Yup.
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."
#213STE573Posted 9/5/2013 2:06:19 PM
Terotrous posted...
STE573 posted...
You cannot compare the two systems like that at all without looking at what Miiverse actually is. It is a social network. Not a persistant reward/progress system across all games. Unless you then bring it even further back and then describe PSN/XBL as social networks. Which would be silly.

PSN and XBL clearly are social networks. Apparently, the main value of trophies is to show your friends and other people, which would be worthless if not for the social aspect.

You are completely missing the point. Miiverse is an entity within Nintendo Network designed as a social hub. PSN for example is not that, it is an online gaming hub, like Nintendo Network.

If you are going to just slap the social network sticker on it (PSN) in it's broadest meaning just to fit your point then that is fair enough, but first and foremost it is a gaming hub with several entities that vary in social engagement, not the other way round, which is how Miiverse is both marketed and implemented; as a social experience with gaming components.

Still doesn't change the original point though. Miiverse is not a trophy system in disguise. It is a social network in the guise of a message board. And just because you can show trophies to friends does not mean it is a social network, simply because the option is there, it would be there if you were offline as a persistent system.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- X-STE-90-X Currently playing The Last of Us (PS3), Forza 3 (360), NSMBU (Wii U) and God of War HD (PS3).
#214aDRE8Posted 9/5/2013 2:11:01 PM
I came in here knowing that some of the Nintendo fans would defend this. It's not a bad thing to have.

Why some people think this is a bad thing is beyond me. Adding something completely optional (yes, you can turn them off) is not a bad thing and something as simple as this adds replay and fun for many gamers alike.
#215jovewolfPosted 9/5/2013 3:59:54 PM
aDRE8 posted...
I came in here knowing that some of the Nintendo fans would defend this. It's not a bad thing to have.

Why some people think this is a bad thing is beyond me. Adding something completely optional (yes, you can turn them off) is not a bad thing and something as simple as this adds replay and fun for many gamers alike.

It's not necessarily bad, but it's not anything required either - they don't have to be part of the system-level architecture. In fact it's probably better if they aren't - not all games are suited to achievements - and if developers feel achievements add something to their game they can add their own achievement system into the game (as some have).
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."
#216TerotrousPosted 9/6/2013 9:19:57 AM
STE573 posted...
Still doesn't change the original point though. Miiverse is not a trophy system in disguise. It is a social network in the guise of a message board. And just because you can show trophies to friends does not mean it is a social network, simply because the option is there, it would be there if you were offline as a persistent system.

Obviously the two systems (trophies and miiverse) are not identical, but they were created to serve the same fundamental purpose - to add a social element to your gaming experience. If trophies weren't intended to be social, there'd be no need to aggregate them. Your total "rank" exists solely to show off to other people.

However, as I've said, I don't think trophies fulfill this role very well, largely because your rank is generally meaningless and thus people don't care about it. Miiverse goes back to the original aim of the system (to increase the social aspect of gaming) and goes about it a different way, and one I think works much better.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#217NyyarkPosted 9/6/2013 9:23:29 AM
I find posting the winning screenshot with your own drawing that people can comment on better than trophies, though it'd be nice if there was a separate part of your Miiverse profile for victory posts.
#218Pharsti01Posted 9/6/2013 9:38:05 AM
Games never needed achievements, never did, never will.

Youre the type of player this gen has brought that i feel is worthless, the type that plays games for that tiny useless score or trophy, to compensate with your epenis for other insecurities, it doesnt matter if you like the game or not, for you, thats reason enough to play a game and i find your existence sad.
---
Democracy is when 2 wolves and a sheep meet to decide who is for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has a gun.