Shows based on video games.

#1Rupin_SalesmanPosted 9/4/2013 1:24:15 AM
Are there any that truly stick out to you?

I don't remember much of the Donkey Kong Country TV show, but I'm really happy that a DVD came out of it recently.
---
"I love going on message boards and complaining about games I've never played!"
- Francis, Super Paper Mario
#2manmousePosted 9/4/2013 1:41:07 AM
yeah there was the DK show. can't recall if it was really good, but at the time i enjoyed it.

Sonic had 3 shows that i remember. the main saturday morning one (and IMO the best) was one where he was in the forest and the other characters were Tails, a walrus mechanic in a backwards hat, a cyborg rabbit girl, Princess Sally, that cowardly british guy, etc. it actually held up well, i watched it on Netflix recently. but especially back in the 90's it was a HUGE deal for Sonic fans. also, the guy who played Urkel did Sonic's voice. IMO he's still the definitive Sonic voice.
there was also a trippy Sonic show, dunno what it was called but everything was all checkered and bendy looking, and nothing looked earthly at all. i never watched it when i was young though. i think the same guy (Urkel's actor) did Sonic's voice in it too.

Legend of Zelda had a notoriously bad cartoon. it was... bad.

Mario had a decent cartoon. it was really charming and fun but i remember it being boring at times.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#3Rupin_Salesman(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 1:42:24 AM
manmouse posted...
yeah there was the DK show. can't recall if it was really good, but at the time i enjoyed it.

Sonic had 3 shows that i remember. the main saturday morning one (and IMO the best) was one where he was in the forest and the other characters were Tails, a walrus mechanic in a backwards hat, a cyborg rabbit girl, Princess Sally, that cowardly british guy, etc. it actually held up well, i watched it on Netflix recently. but especially back in the 90's it was a HUGE deal for Sonic fans. also, the guy who played Urkel did Sonic's voice. IMO he's still the definitive Sonic voice.
there was also a trippy Sonic show, dunno what it was called but everything was all checkered and bendy looking, and nothing looked earthly at all. i never watched it when i was young though. i think the same guy (Urkel's actor) did Sonic's voice in it too.

Legend of Zelda had a notoriously bad cartoon. it was... bad.

Mario had a decent cartoon. it was really charming and fun but i remember it being boring at times.

For reference, the characters are Sonic, Tails, Rotor (the walrus), Bunny Rabbot (the cyborg bunny), and Antoine (the fox that's supposed to be a French stereotype).
---
"I love going on message boards and complaining about games I've never played!"
- Francis, Super Paper Mario
#4manmousePosted 9/4/2013 1:52:01 AM
thanks for filling in the gaps! that show was so cool. i always liked Bunny, she shredded.
also pretty dark when i went back and watched the first couple episodes. Robotnik actually executes one of Sonic's friends! the cat guy who gets captured.

also i forgot to mention the third Sonic show, Sonic Underground. i also never watched it though. it seems more "cyberpunk" and edgy, not sure if it was good.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#5super_taco_ftwPosted 9/4/2013 2:52:17 AM
Most are absoulouty terrible, but there have been a few I've enjoyed.

One is Persona 4: The Animation, an the other is Steins; Gate (It's technically based on a "visual novel")

Other shows are great because they're so bad, like Zelda's.

And then there are shows that are just major Nostalgia trips, like Sonic X for me (those SA2 special episodes blew 8 year old me's mind).
---
By the power of Greyskull, I HAVE THE POWER!
Black 2 FC: 0433 6165 7990
#6D4rk0athPosted 9/4/2013 3:48:14 AM
The first videogame animation I ever remembered was the Super Mario Bros Show. I had two VHS casettes with some chapters. I always thought that as a good reimagination of SMB3 and SMW, but now it's just another source of memes like Mama Luigi.
Then, there was Sonic underground. By many people's thoughts, I considered this show as a bad one. Basically the brothers killed the show's ambience, and Knuckles didn't helped much to compensate it.
Of all the Sonic series, I'd say without any doubt that SatAM, with its post-apocalyptic, dark, deep world, was the best of them all. AoStH was funny and a laughter box, but also too kiddy; Underground...well, as you can see above.

In the anime side. I saw the Super Robot Taisen animes: Divine Wars and The Inspector (without counting the pre-Gaiden/pre-2ndOGs OVA). Both series are based on the Original Generations series (GBA, PS2), and it's what you would expect: bigass robots with mind-blowing legendary powers and awesome weapons. And a bit of drama, too, specially in the second series. Of course, both are spoilers themselves, so you should play the OGs games before watching those animes.
Coming back to Sonics, sincerely talking, X was very, VERY awful. Many of the things everyone remembers about that anime are related to the so overrated SA2 -and what it supposed- when actually it should be focusing gradually on Tails and Cosmo. Yes, you know what I mean.
---
3DS FC: 5257-9417-9912
PSN/JPSN: Gryphus-X/D4RK0OATH
#7BadBoiuPosted 9/4/2013 3:57:43 AM
super_taco_ftw posted...
Steins; Gate (It's technically based on a "visual novel")

I really don't think we should go that route. It barely counts as a video game and there are tons of animes based off visual novels.
---
"Vick will be the first QB to throw for 4,000 yards & rush for 1,000 in one season!"-Sean Salisbury *MLG is an oxymoron*
#8Miyamoto_ShiggyPosted 9/4/2013 4:12:24 AM
Watched half of the Viewtiful Joe anime when I was a teen (it was bad).

Mega Man NT Warrior was fairly decent (starts off all light and happy, gets progressively darker).

Recently I've found myself enamored with the Bravoman animated shorts.
It's good to know who to call when "it" hits the fan.
Rob Paulson is a great voice actor, and Bravoman is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

I actually have all of DKC on DVD. It's awful. Late 90's CGI, with terrible lip synching, and some pretty decent animation at times (I think they mocapped most of the series, unlike stuff like Beast Wars and Reboot, which were god awful pieces of tripe that were animated by hand).
The music can be good, though. I'll give it that.
I totally don't have it on my MP3 player.

I do remember Sonic X a bit, it was crap at the start, the Chaos Saga was pretty sick, as was the part based off SA2, and the third season was pretty bad (the whole Tails and Cosmo thing).

I also fondly remember Carmen Sandiego, both of them. Yes, there was two. One was a gameshow, the other was animated. The animated one was better, but the gameshow gave us the single greatest thing that the human voice has ever created.

I have had nothing to do lately, so I won't lie... I HAVE sorta been watching Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures. If I were 8, or stoned out of my mind, I would be enjoying it.

The Mystical Ninja anime was okay, Vic McDerpderp as Goemon, but aside from that, it was decent. It was corny and entertaining. It's the kind of thing you shut your brain off at the door and sit down and laugh.

On a side note, I've never watched a single episode of Pokemon.
Not once.
I'm DEAD serious.
#9Jet_Set_Radi_GoPosted 9/4/2013 4:20:00 AM
Xenosaga

..exists
#10Tsutarja495Posted 9/4/2013 4:35:37 AM
The Pokemon anime, and the Mario and Zelda cartoons, are some of my favorites. Then there's anime based on visual novels that I don't care to list (I'll give one, Sakura Wars, which is partially visual novel), because I don't remember which ones were that instead of originals or based on manga. I'm also looking forward to that Pikmin anime Miyamoto said was coming, assuming he was serious.

As for an example of a show based on a game I hated, there's the Devil Survivor 2 anime. It's too short, it barely follows the game at all aside from the week structure and enemies, just about all the comedic elements from the game have been cut, demon fusion isn't even mentioned till the last episode, the humans don't fight like they do in the game, and finally they didn't even bother showing the final boss. Yeah, this sounds weird when you look at the shows up in my first paragraph that are very deviant from the source material, but I just found their changes more enjoyable.
---
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg