Shows based on video games.

#11Miyamoto_ShiggyPosted 9/4/2013 5:55:43 AM
I somehow forgot to mention the Tekken movie. The animated one.
While not a TV show, it was one of my favourite things to watch as a kid.
I now know I was a moron.

Street Fighter II V was really good though. It's almost DBZ good. It has a perfect balance of story, character development, and action.
I'd suggest checking it out. Though anyone expecting to see Blanka or E.Honda will most likely get their mawashi in a bunch, as neither characters appear. Though you get some funny scenes that have Akuma just placed in the background (seeing Ken and Ryu off in certain scenes, running a small kiosk in India etc.)

How did I forget those two?

Oh, and Kirby. But we do not talk about Kirby: Right back at ya, in these parts.

Oddly enough, the Japanese version was good.
#12TransdudePosted 9/4/2013 6:04:22 AM
I remember watching Pokemon (Kids WB, Cartoon Network), Pac-Man (Boomerang), The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (Toon Disney), Sonic X (Fox Box, 4 Kids TV), and Kirby: Right Back At Yah! (Fox Box, 4 Kids TV).
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#13xanthan1Posted 9/4/2013 6:16:13 AM
Well I remember the Megaman NT Warrior one but that might be due to some of the weirder crap that goes on in the seasons that never go translated.

Long story short, it turned into a sentai series and the net navis went from being characters to just being costumes for the operators to wear.
Yes, it IS as stupid as it sounds.
#14KaiserWarriorPosted 9/4/2013 6:40:21 AM
manmouse posted...
yeah there was the DK show. can't recall if it was really good, but at the time i enjoyed it.

Sonic had 3 shows that i remember. the main saturday morning one (and IMO the best) was one where he was in the forest and the other characters were Tails, a walrus mechanic in a backwards hat, a cyborg rabbit girl, Princess Sally, that cowardly british guy, etc. it actually held up well, i watched it on Netflix recently. but especially back in the 90's it was a HUGE deal for Sonic fans. also, the guy who played Urkel did Sonic's voice. IMO he's still the definitive Sonic voice.
there was also a trippy Sonic show, dunno what it was called but everything was all checkered and bendy looking, and nothing looked earthly at all. i never watched it when i was young though. i think the same guy (Urkel's actor) did Sonic's voice in it too.

Legend of Zelda had a notoriously bad cartoon. it was... bad.

Mario had a decent cartoon. it was really charming and fun but i remember it being boring at times.

Originally there was The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, which was the surreal one you're remembering. It was more of a children-oriented comedy show, tons of jokes and silliness and had PSAs at the end. The other show was simply called Sonic the Hedgehog, and is often referred to as SatAM (as it aired on Saturday mornings). I'm not sure whether the show came first, or the comics, or whether they started up at the same time, but in any case that show aligned in setting and theme with the (still running!) comic book produced by Archie Comics.

Then there was Sonic Underground and.... yeah. Don't waste your time.
#15Raiden5800Posted 9/4/2013 7:08:50 AM
I always enjoyed the Dragon's Lair cartoon series in the mid eighties. Don't get me wrong. It was terrible. But it was terrible in all the right ways. I think it only lasted one season.