How hard is Monster Hunter 3 to get into for someone who's never played it?

#21BobbyB3000Posted 9/5/2013 7:30:50 AM
It's really a dry game, very slow and clunky controls but if you like it well keep playing it lol
---
Xbox- Bobby3000
PS3- Bobbyb73
#22DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/5/2013 7:44:03 AM
MasterPoker posted...
Easy = Any ranged class, but especially Bowguns and the Kelbi Bow, with online play.

Medium = Any other class with online play.

Hard = Soloing the game, or restricting yourself to local multiplayer that is <4 people.

You are spreading misinformation here. The bow and bowguns are practically the hardest weapons for a newbie.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#23SyCo_VeNoMPosted 9/5/2013 7:50:19 AM
lt519 posted...
I had a hard time getting into it. I mean the mechanics are simple themselves, but it requires A LOT of time to really dig into it for a newcomer. I wasn't willing to invest that time to get to the meat of the game.

How I feel about it. Interesting game I just didn't have the time to invest into it that seems is needed.
#24MasterPokerPosted 9/5/2013 8:12:02 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
MasterPoker posted...
Easy = Any ranged class, but especially Bowguns and the Kelbi Bow, with online play.

Hard = Soloing the game, or restricting yourself to local multiplayer that is <4 people.

You are spreading misinformation here. The bow and bowguns are practically the hardest weapons for a newbie.

No, I'm not. As someone who first played Tri as a pure Bowgunner, its a hell of a lot easier than migrating to a melee user (which I did in MH3U, Hammer/GS/DS).

Its far harder to get hit as a BGer. Sure, those hits deal more damage, but when has it been a habit to get hit in the first place? Especially in an online environment of 4 players, which most of the MH3U/Wii U community seems quite eager to do. Melee players are always in danger of being run over, while the BGer has to first get targeted specifically and then the monster has to actually pick a threatening attack (instead of an easily dodged projectile).

If you're carting as a BGer, you would have carted as a melee. Solo...okay, you may have problems at first getting funded. But as soon as you learn how to gather/mine, this stops being an issue. On the earliest missions prior to having an ally, you might also have problems being the only target. But as a whole, its still easier since you don't even have to learn attack patterns like a melee would.
---
http://www.lostlabyrinth.com - Free, addicting rogue-based game
Xuande
#25OMG_AIDSPosted 9/5/2013 8:12:23 AM
I've never played a MH title before MH3U and man did I get addicted. First game I put over 200 hours into in a long time.
---
XBL Gamertag - Goomba Stomper
Nintendo ID & PSN ID - Goomba_Stomper
#26dominatinggamerPosted 9/5/2013 8:14:17 AM
enigma2274 posted...
Yeah, maybe I'll give it a rent. Sounds like it could be fun. Just got my Wii U a couple weeks ago and looking for new games.
---

Isn't there a demo for it?
---
With friends like you, who needs enemies?
Nintendo ID: Warzone
#27queirotacobellPosted 9/5/2013 8:14:48 AM
this game is all about grinding. but there is an insane amount of content.
---
Nah hidden stuffs are still in games these days...
you just have to pay for them. Capcom calls them DLC.
#28DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/5/2013 8:59:54 AM
MasterPoker posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
MasterPoker posted...

No, I'm not. As someone who first played Tri as a pure Bowgunner, its a hell of a lot easier than migrating to a melee user (which I did in MH3U, Hammer/GS/DS).

Its far harder to get hit as a BGer. Sure, those hits deal more damage, but when has it been a habit to get hit in the first place? Especially in an online environment of 4 players, which most of the MH3U/Wii U community seems quite eager to do. Melee players are always in danger of being run over, while the BGer has to first get targeted specifically and then the monster has to actually pick a threatening attack (instead of an easily dodged projectile).

If you're carting as a BGer, you would have carted as a melee. Solo...okay, you may have problems at first getting funded. But as soon as you learn how to gather/mine, this stops being an issue. On the earliest missions prior to having an ally, you might also have problems being the only target. But as a whole, its still easier since you don't even have to learn attack patterns like a melee would.

Again, you are spreading false information. BGers cart all the time. Their armor is really weak and playing a heavy bowgun requires at least Evade Extend and experience to be effective.

Its far easier not to cart with blade masters in many (i'd say most) matchups because they can take so much damage and its easy to get away and heal and not get one or two shotted.

If you are playing online, it can be easy with any class. I was thinking more Solo. I played all of G Rank Solo before I went online and you can't do village quests with people.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#29JackalPosted 9/5/2013 9:22:59 AM
A good BG/Bow user does not cart all of the time. Not if they are really good. I'm not. I'm mostly a GS user but I have hammers, lances, guns, etc. I can gun with a group and solo for for some creatures and I don't cart a lot.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#30wugeezyPosted 9/5/2013 9:30:26 AM
I had never played any MH game until ultimate.....and it has a pretty steep learning curve. Even starting the game was confusing since I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Luckily there is a lot of help online including beginners guides. It takes quite a while to get going.

And like everyone said its really a grind and you have to commit to it to get the most out of it. But honestly, there is nothing like handing a monster its ass after said monster owned you countless times. Defeating a new monster in this game is so rewarding.