It's amazing how many creative new ways Nintendo could take the Mario series

#21deathwave21Posted 9/5/2013 7:14:54 PM
wiiking96 posted...
Yet they still decide to take perhaps the most generic route possible. Answer me these questions:

Would a cyber space themed Mario game scare away casual fans of Mario?
Would making the aesthetics much more visually stimulating scare away casual fans of Mario?
Would including world themes like sports, music, or weather scare away casual fans of Mario?

Is there any reason not to be more creative with Mario games, aside from the extra effort involved?

The Mario series has been taken in every direction imaginable, so I don't know why this topic keeps popping up. Believe it or not SM3DW is something that has yet to be done. It may look similar to SM3DL by a simple troll, but look deeper and you will see that it is vastly different. In fact, the concept for 3DW predates 3dL. 3DL is actually a scaled down idea based off of 3DW.
---
Do you want to go to college for free? Go Marines!
#22Glem3Posted 9/5/2013 7:26:09 PM
Right, because Mario can't expand beyond what it's already done.

I understand wanting to take Mario new places, but an entirely cyber based world is not fitting. And not just because it hasn't been done. An instrument based level in a Mario game would be fitting. It's happy, wacky, it's Mario. A game centered around cyberspace would not be. Maybe for a Mario and Luigi game, but not for a Mario platformer. I want weird, out there levels in my Mario, not... cyberspace.
#23diggyfreshPosted 9/5/2013 11:41:05 PM
March of the Minis and Paper Mario Sticker Star are unique and fun variations on Mario. Not to mention all the Mario sports titles. Mario Strikers is one of my favorite games of all time.
---
Currently Playing: Paper Mario Sticker Star
Progress: World 6
#24Maverick_ReznorPosted 9/5/2013 11:50:18 PM
wiiking96 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
And a cyber space world wouldn't fit in a 3D/2D Mario platformer, just saying.

Based on what, exactly?

meh, it just works better with the rpg mario's is all
#25gnomelord255Posted 9/6/2013 12:00:10 AM
Mario Gridiron would probably sell a ton of copies if it's half as good as Strikers is.

Too bad Nintendo will never do it.
#26diggyfreshPosted 9/6/2013 1:16:12 AM
gnomelord255 posted...
Mario Gridiron would probably sell a ton of copies if it's half as good as Strikers is.

Too bad Nintendo will never do it.

This would be cool. The goombas and koopas could be the line. Birdo could be a quarterback.
---
Currently Playing: Paper Mario Sticker Star
Progress: World 6
#27the_cajun88Posted 9/6/2013 7:43:40 AM
The13Doctors posted...
What like this?

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/17/realmario.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sSxv1GX.png
---
University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i.imgur.com/jC1P9wo.jpg
#28CubeTVPosted 9/7/2013 8:20:18 AM
I think the reason Nintendo hasn't tried to do much with the Mario series lately is because of how well the "generic" thing sells. New Super Mario Bros. 2, considered by many to be the most bland Mario game, is still in the top 20 best selling games in Japan right now (at #20). Compare that to the New Super Mario Bros. U, which is considered the most "original" NSMB game. Yet it's nowhere to be found.
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#29lgiPosted 9/7/2013 8:29:51 AM
How about taking Mario online?
#30ADHDguitarPosted 9/7/2013 8:34:09 AM
No but it would seem adding new gameplay mechanics scare away the "hardcore" fans.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2