It's amazing how many creative new ways Nintendo could take the Mario series

#31MilesTeg420Posted 9/7/2013 8:49:49 AM
CubeTV posted...
I think the reason Nintendo hasn't tried to do much with the Mario series lately is because of how well the "generic" thing sells. New Super Mario Bros. 2, considered by many to be the most bland Mario game, is still in the top 20 best selling games in Japan right now (at #20). Compare that to the New Super Mario Bros. U, which is considered the most "original" NSMB game. Yet it's nowhere to be found.

Yes this is unfortunate but imo Nintendo has misread the market. The generic Mario thing did well because it was actually refreshing at the time to go back to basics after so much time off. But in reality, it was just a phase and should be treated as such. NSMBU doesn't do enough different and it's the start of consumers getting tired of it. And NSMB2 has done well but nowhere near the original.

And I don't like the argument of "well look at 3D Land" either. It was the first original 3D Mario on handheld, of course it's going to sell especially at a time when 3DS was game starved. The same may happen for 3D World but the fact remains that the game isn't generating nearly as much excitement as typical 3D Mario.

The real issue is generic Mario, whether 2D or 3D, is not a system seller, it's a game you pick up if you already have the platform. The Wii had already sold tens of millions before NSMBWii in 2009, and it was the first 2D Mario on home console since SNES. And as for DS, it was the first original 2D Mario on handheld since what, Game Boy? So basically my point is (imo of course) generic Mario has run it's course in the current climate. What once was stale, was then new again, and is now back to where it once was.

3D World may do well as it's the first generic 3D Mario on home console, but after this, I hope Nintendo realizes they need to go in a different direction with Mario moving forward. Mario is your staple and it should the franchise you invest in most (as it always was), not a cash cow of generic regurgitated Mario.
#32_FalstaffPosted 9/7/2013 10:05:57 AM
NovaLevossida posted...
This is what's so depressing. There's no incentive to be creative or innovative with the titles when the safe sequels sell more.

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with the video game industry.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#33Hercik1Posted 9/7/2013 10:19:25 AM
CubeTV posted...
I think the reason Nintendo hasn't tried to do much with the Mario series lately is because of how well the "generic" thing sells. New Super Mario Bros. 2, considered by many to be the most bland Mario game, is still in the top 20 best selling games in Japan right now (at #20). Compare that to the New Super Mario Bros. U, which is considered the most "original" NSMB game. Yet it's nowhere to be found.

That's not really fair though everybody and their grandma own a 3ds in Japan but a small portion own a wii u. So of course the 3ds one is going to sell more.
#34kobalobasileusPosted 9/7/2013 12:18:39 PM
This topic makes me think of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Wacky_Worlds

I actually got the prototype to run in an emulator once, and while it's an entirely incomplete and broken game, I must admit that the varied stage themes are far more interesting than the rote formula Nintendo has locked themselves into.