GTA V cost $265,000,000 to make. Why can't we get it?

#1AncientAstroPosted 9/8/2013 5:59:16 PM
That's right, GTA V cost $265 million to develop. Why no love for the Wii U then? You would thin k R* would want to optimize it on more powerful hardware and sell as much as they can.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/grand-theft-auto-v-expensive-video-game-production-history-beats-big-budget-hollywood-films/55320.html
#2bskiffingtonPosted 9/8/2013 6:01:25 PM
What in the world? They need to sell at least 4 million copies just to start making a profit. While I don't doubt that they will sell that, as GTA always sells incredibly well, it's just no wonder that so many studios are going out of business spending money like that, haha.

To answer your question bringing it to the Wii U would probably increase that cost even more.
#3Baha05Posted 9/8/2013 6:02:40 PM
That doesn't sound right, hell that sounds like they could bankrupt Rockstar if the game fails.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#4MotiJrPosted 9/8/2013 6:03:16 PM
I wanted it on Wii U but seeing as it isn't coming, I won't get it. The game looks great but I know by not playing it, I'm not missing out on much. I'll just get the superior version if I still care afterwards.
---
I'm incredibly blunt so if the truth offends you, get in your bubble and blow away. No time to be fake and sugar coat things. You get offended, you deserved it
#5ElectricMolePosted 9/8/2013 6:03:21 PM
programming/planning for the gamepad requiring a 3rd dev team to work on it? There are already two teams at Rockstar optimizing and debugging the 360/ps3 version.

they probably thought that was enough to cover the majority of the market since just about everyone owns at least the xbox 360 or ps3 by now.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#6LightsasoriPosted 9/8/2013 6:04:47 PM
ElectricMole posted...
programming/planning for the gamepad requiring a 3rd dev team to work on it? There are already two teams at Rockstar optimizing and debugging the 360/ps3 version.

they probably thought that was enough to cover the majority of the market since just about everyone owns at least the xbox 360 or ps3 by now.

This.
---
"Yare yare daze" ~ Jotaro Kujo
"Children are pure, they know who's the strongest." ~ MaskDeSmith
#7bskiffingtonPosted 9/8/2013 6:05:09 PM
Baha05 posted...
That doesn't sound right, hell that sounds like they could bankrupt Rockstar if the game fails.

They'll make that money back but it's still really silly. Didn't Tomb Raider sell 4 million copies or something yet was considered a failure? By my calculations, 265million would require at least 4.4 million in sales at 60 dollars retail, but they won't even get all of that 60 dollar price tag as the retailer gets a cut too. Tomb raider mustve cost a similar amount of money, if not more.
#8chris1001 the sequelPosted 9/8/2013 6:05:24 PM
bskiffington posted...
What in the world? They need to sell at least 4 million copies just to start making a profit. While I don't doubt that they will sell that, as GTA always sells incredibly well, it's just no wonder that so many studios are going out of business spending money like that, haha.

To answer your question bringing it to the Wii U would probably increase that cost even more.

That's the thing. It will sell that well. The problem comes when you have small-medium size studios that couldn't a afford the fail making an oriignal AAA game on a huge budget, and it tanks. Developers should only take on projects like that if they can afford to take the hit if it isn't successful.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#9DarkAdonis123Posted 9/8/2013 6:06:06 PM
Baha05 posted...

Fortunately for them there's no way it will.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#10ThatKippPosted 9/8/2013 6:08:57 PM
If this is the new standard for big-budget "AAA games," we're in for a market crash before the end of 8th gen.
---
http://dragcave.net/user/thatkipp >_>
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725