C/D: Nintendo is the Disney of gaming

#21Miyamoto_ShiggyPosted 9/12/2013 6:58:52 AM
Gulma1 posted...
D

Nintendo is original, disney isn't

Lion King = Hamlet

While it's true that Lion King and Jungle Emperor Leo share many similarities, Lion King takes many of it's plot points from Hamlet.

The hero being the son of a king, the king of which is murdered by his own brother.

All it really has in common with Jungle Emperor Leo, is that the main character is a lion, who's name ends in "imba".
#22TerotrousPosted 9/12/2013 7:18:03 AM
C, because it was my analogy.

CrystalKing5426 posted...
No. DIsney is absolutely terrible these days. Nintendo at least has some competence left.

Disney is still good. The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Wreck-It-Ralph, and The Muppets are all great movies. They're also still dubbing the Studio Ghibli movies and they continue to do a good job with them.

The only issue I have with Disney is they suck for DVD releases of their TV shows. They pretty much always put out a few seasons, then stop.

lgi posted...
Disney has Marvel and has does PG-13 movies, so no.

Nintendo has Fire Emblem and Metroid.

Gulma1 posted...
D

Nintendo is original, disney isn't

Lion King = Kimba

Donkey Kong = King Kong

Miyamoto_Shiggy posted...
Nintendo is more like Warner Brothers.

I kinda disagree. Warner Bros is generally pretty bold in the things they do. Bugs Bunny was always riskier and more cutting edge than Mickey Mouse. Rayman Origins / Legends has far more in common with WB than Mario does.

While it's true that Lion King and Jungle Emperor Leo share many similarities, Lion King takes many of it's plot points from Hamlet.

Yes, and the sequel, Lion King 2, is Romeo and Juiliet, and Lion King 1 1/2 is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#23Miyamoto_ShiggyPosted 9/12/2013 7:25:56 AM
Shadowbird_RH posted...

Disney makes things for kids.
Yes, their movies can be enjoyed by a wide range of audiences, but movies isn't the only thing they do.
As much as I love stuff like Ducktales, and Dark Wing Duck, those are intended for children.

And really, I'd only suggest the classic Disney stuff to adults. Modern Disney work is pretty bad.

Now, take Warner Brothers animation for instance.
It seems light hearted enough. But when you get down to it, it's actually pretty grown up and mature. Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero, and Kid Icarus, actually have some pretty dark elements, and Kid Icarus sorta leans on the Animaniacs side with some of it's jokes being double entendres.

That exactly. I cringe whenever I see someone compare Nintendo to Disney. Warner Bros. fits Nintendo much better.

Disney's problem is that they repeat themselves. They do the same things over and over again. With little to no improvement.

Warner Brothers will take their past works, and then build upon them. They will reuse the same characters, in different scenarios, those different scenarios combined with the memorable characters are what makes WB's work so good. Take Batman The Animated Series, for instance. It retreads a few things from the comics, and past animated series, but for the most part it's familiar characters in new situations.

Another good (or bad, depending on how you look at it. I personally like it, but that's just me), is The Looney Tunes Show (the 2011 one), which takes the memorable Looney Tunes characters, but then the show has sort of an animated sitcom, almost Seinfeld sort of feel (only well written, and actually kinda funny).

Nintendo does the same thing.
Mario just goes from point A to B. But how he gets there is always different. It could be by jumping from planet-to-planet, or the help of a backmounted water jet pack.

Nintendo isn't repeating themselves, they're taking what they've done, and building upon it. NSMBU feels a lot different from NSMBDS. Not in the level design, but the controls. The fluidity in NSMBU is not found in any past Mario game.
#24Miyamoto_ShiggyPosted 9/12/2013 7:42:40 AM
Terotrous posted...

I kinda disagree. Warner Bros is generally pretty bold in the things they do. Bugs Bunny was always riskier and more cutting edge than Mickey Mouse. Rayman Origins / Legends has far more in common with WB than Mario does.

That is true, in some ways. Mario is normally pretty safe in it's content.
But, really, I mean Nintendo as a whole.

Nintendo's stuff gets pretty damn dark sometimes.

On an odd note, I have the DAMNEDEST urge to watch Animaniacs right now.
#25fuzi11Posted 9/12/2013 7:51:30 AM
Disney is an entertainment company which has branches in:
animated movies, movies, theme parks, tv shows, magazines, comic books, toys, video games, clothes and costumes.

their franchises reach everyone from babies/toddlers (winnie pooh), to little girls (Disney Princess, Hana Montana, Disney Channel), to little boys (cars, boy equivalent to hana montana, Disney Channel), to preteens (high school musical, Donald Duck pocket books, Disney Channel), to teen comic fans (spiderman, x-men, avengers), to nostalgia fans (Star Wars, Indiana Jones), to animation fans (Pixar, Disney Classics), to the general consuming public (block buster movies a la Pirates of the caribbean, ABC, Buena Vista movies, Disney Land/World)

while nintendo is a company focusing on videogame hardware and software mainly for the pre-teen and teen market (which doesn't mean people of all ages can't enjoy them). Only the Pokemon Company dives into Disney territory with tv shows, toys, movies, clothes, comic books, etc. Mostly aimed at the toddler to teens market. Except the rarely appearing Mario toys that appear once in a while.

What Disney and Nintendo in general have in common are widely popular and famous franchises.
#26EndgamePosted 9/12/2013 7:53:32 AM
deny

Nintendo was good at one point
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#27manmousePosted 9/14/2013 7:20:50 PM
yes, Nintendo is definitely a Disney-esq presence.
in contrast to Sega which was more Nickelodeon.

Disney and Nintendo's main deal is refining tradition. they cause controversy in tiiiiny drops, and overall are very safe players. when trying something new it's often switching one little thing around and spending years refining it, making it part of tradition. they have a very conservative approach and don't take interest in pushing people's perceptions very far. they make time-tested classics and appeal to the largest possible audience without reaching out very often.

oldschool Sega, on the other hand, was like oldschool Nickelodeon. Sony a bit too, but Sony had more 90's MTV (when MTV was still worth watching) vibe as well. anyway Sega/Nick were more odd, and experimental. they bucked tradition and gladly welcomed the weirder ideas. vulgarity was more welcome, and their approach was more eccentric and willing to risk things. rather than dipping in their toes, they jumped into many cold pools and tried new things all the time without bothering to root those ideas in any traditions. the ideas were fresher and new, and often ended up resonating with smaller niches and a more edgy crowd comparitively.

then 90's Sony, as mentioned, was more a hybrid of Nickelodeon and oldschool MTV. they wanted to create whole new demographics in gaming, and push everything as far as it would go. they lowered development costs and welcomed any and all developers to make their wildest ideas, with little worry. lots of experimentation took place on PS1 among smaller developers, and strange smart edgy new ideas bloomed up everywhere. they pretty much opened their arms and said, "you got an idea that will challenge everything people think they know about gaming? welcome home!" and cared little for Nintendo's classic hollywood gloss. they were a younger vibe and more interested in risking it all.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#28manmousePosted 9/14/2013 7:36:23 PM
Terotrous posted...

That is true, in some ways. Mario is normally pretty safe in it's content.
But, really, I mean Nintendo as a whole.

Nintendo's stuff gets pretty damn dark sometimes.

On an odd note, I have the DAMNEDEST urge to watch Animaniacs right now.

but Nintendo's nowhere near as dark as Sony and Sega's main franchises. outside Eternal Darkness and ZombiU which are both known to stick out as being unlike most Nintendo titles, Nintendo's dark moments don't really touch a mile within the territory of the darker moments of Team Ico and Naughty Dog's games.

i'd still say it'd make more sense to compare them to Disney, as Disney had a fair share of death and evil and bloodshed (Lion King, Bambi, Hunchback, Mulan, etc) but Disney, like Nintendo, handled it from a more classic and conservative dramatic standpoint. they never really gave as many risky winks and nods as WB, who were known to be more self-referential and had more political and sexual and industry-related humor. Nintendo does none of that.

Sonic, on the other hand, had more in common with someone like Bugs. Bugs was there to poke holes in Mickey and gives some attitude to the cartoon industry, and have a more fast-paced slapstick rude approach. that's Sonic summed up as well. while Nintendo was pleasing the status quo and doing so with immense polish and refinement, Sonic, the hip hop duo Toejam & Earl, the artsy abstract Ecco the Dolphin and NiGHTS into Dreams, and the graffiti gang endorsing Jet Grind series, were all serving as a counterpoint to Nintendo's style.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#29TheMisterManGuyPosted 9/14/2013 7:36:33 PM
manmouse posted...
yes, Nintendo is definitely a Disney-esq presence.
in contrast to Sega which was more Nickelodeon.

Disney and Nintendo's main deal is refining tradition. they cause controversy in tiiiiny drops, and overall are very safe players. when trying something new it's often switching one little thing around and spending years refining it, making it part of tradition. they have a very conservative approach and don't take interest in pushing people's perceptions very far. they make time-tested classics and appeal to the largest possible audience without reaching out very often.

oldschool Sega, on the other hand, was like oldschool Nickelodeon. Sony a bit too, but Sony had more 90's MTV (when MTV was still worth watching) vibe as well. anyway Sega/Nick were more odd, and experimental. they bucked tradition and gladly welcomed the weirder ideas. vulgarity was more welcome, and their approach was more eccentric and willing to risk things. rather than dipping in their toes, they jumped into many cold pools and tried new things all the time without bothering to root those ideas in any traditions. the ideas were fresher and new, and often ended up resonating with smaller niches and a more edgy crowd comparitively.

I think comparing Sega with Nick is good annalogy as Sega, much like Nickelodeon, marketed to the hip, rebellious youth market in the Genesiss days. Personally, I always saw Nintendo as more like Cartoon Network (Back when CN was worth watching).
---
In a gaming world filled with chaos & fanboyism, I try to be the voice that guides people to the truth.
#30mjc0961Posted 9/14/2013 7:39:45 PM
D. Nintendo doesn't suck.

Yes I am saying Disney sucks.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.