Does the game industry need to focus less on early sales?

#1Geminia999Posted 9/10/2013 1:15:02 PM
As it is, the early sales in the game industry are essentially the only ones that count, after a few weeks the game can quickly get discounted causing loss of profits and does essentially hurt any profits from future sales of the game. Now I understand that this also somewhat mimics the movie industry with opening weeks, but movies also have DVD sales to fall back on as a second set of profits. But this just seems like a very hazardous method of survival for the industry, especially when they cost more than a movie ticket and tend to congest in their releases rather than spread out.

I don't know, it just feels like a really disastrous method that the game industry has. Yes I also understand it's to fight used game sales cutting into profits, the longer you have your market open, the more likely that those used sales will "hurt". I don't know, it just seems very bad for an industry with this type of release.

Especially when Nintendo can apparently hold onto those high prices for several years and still be one of the better surviving game companies, it just feels like everyone is doing something horribly wrong with these release schedules and no one is really trying to change anything for the better.

Thoughts?
---
[::[_]::]Common sense
[+[_]::]just because you can doesn't mean you should
#2BeanBeanKingdomPosted 9/10/2013 1:19:21 PM
Yeah, thinking about it, Nintendo managing to get away with not lowering the price (and thus making long-term profits) but not anyone else doesn't make any sense. I guess other AAA games just don't have enough staying power?
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#3NCPwnPosted 9/10/2013 1:21:48 PM
You only buy Nintendo product to play nintendo games. They have you by the balls. Therefore, they know you will buy their games and won't have to discount them. There is no competition for them. No one is buying a Nintendo product in hopes to get the best call of duty or other 3rd party developer game.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#4DDP886Posted 9/10/2013 1:22:05 PM
No the first year of a console usually dictates if the console will be successful or not
---
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds = Spiritual Liberation
LETS GO: NYM|NYJ|NYK|NYR
#5Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 9/10/2013 1:22:28 PM
The game industry does not focus on early sales. Gamefaqs does.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#6squatch22Posted 9/10/2013 1:23:15 PM
DDP886 posted...
No the first year of a console usually dictates if the console will be successful or not

Lol
No
---
SMASH BROS 4 PREORDERED AND PROUD OF IT.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#7BeanBeanKingdomPosted 9/10/2013 1:24:15 PM
DDP886 posted...

PS2 and DS were such failures. :-(
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#8squatch22Posted 9/10/2013 1:24:22 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

Countless 3DS doomed articles says... no.
---
SMASH BROS 4 PREORDERED AND PROUD OF IT.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#9nonexistingheroPosted 9/10/2013 1:25:04 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

Nope. All big publishers put a huge focus on early sales for their AAA games. And with those bloated AAA game budgets, they have to.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#10BAtenDiddyPosted 9/10/2013 1:25:17 PM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
DDP886 posted...

PS2 and DS were such failures. :-(

LOL. best selling console/handheld. Great point!
---
Don't be dumb, you have to be sober to make important decisions - Blue Like Jazz