What is a "REAL" gamer?

#1KHfan67789Posted 9/10/2013 1:33:34 PM
I was having a discussion the other day with a friend about - what else? - video games. And the game I was playing at the time was Pikmin 3, which I thought was a very good game. I was explaining to him the premise of it because he doesn't own a WiiU and wanted to know if the third installment was any good. I was just in the middle of explaining the fruit gathering gimmick of the game when some dingleberry walks by and says, "Oh god, it sounds like you're talking about a video game," to which I reply, "Yes. I'm explaining to him about Pikmin 3. Have you played it?"

"No way, man. That's not a real game. And you're not a real gamer if you think that's gaming. No blood, no guts, no glory."

Now, I have been playing video games since I was 3 years old. I'm 21 now. The first video game I ever played was Super Mario Bros. for the NES. I like all range of genres from shooters to platformers to RPGs you name it. My favorite video game series is Kingdom Hearts. I thought the Last of Us is GotY material. I enjoyed Final Fantasy VII, though it is the only FF game I've played and plan to play. I don't like Halo, I tolerate CoD, though mainly I suck hard at shooters. Mario will always have a soft spot in my heart, and I can openly admit I am a Sonic fanboy. Though I will fight tooth and nail that '06 ever existed.

Nintendo is my console of choice. I still play my N64 to this day. I do enjoy my PS3, though mainly for Kingdom Hearts and GTA. I have a 360, but only because everyone I knew had one and I wanted to play games with my friends. Peer pressure, sue me. I laughed when the Xbone was announced,MS polices were garbage. I laugh today since they completely 180'd on that and people still aren't happy. There are people out there who actually want the old polices back. I think people are too focused on graphics and not enough on gameplay. The platforming genre needs to make a comeback. DuckTales Remastered is an awesome game!

Pokemon are gods, the PlayStation Move is awesome, and I think the Metal Gear DLC for LittleBigPlanet was kick ass!

But to that bag of douche, just because I like Pikmin 3, I'm not a real gamer. Just because I favor a game that does not have blood or guts, it means that I cannot be allowed to associate myself with other people who like games. And everyday I go on these boards, each time I see people say things like, "Real gamers don't play this," or "Real gamers don't like that,"

So...just to have a sense of validation, I have given everyone a general lay down of my life, and I have to know: Am I a REAL gamer?
#2NCPwnPosted 9/10/2013 1:34:50 PM
A reel gamer tends to enjoy fishing games.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#3NCPwnPosted 9/10/2013 1:37:36 PM
TC, I still play NES games, The wii in my opinion was a failure to games. However, it allowed me to unhook my NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube from my entertainment system. So in that regard, it was a huge win.

What I also find hilrious, is the people that make fun of mobile gaming. I've found better RTS, TBS, and Flight simulator games on my iPhone, then on consoles and even on PC.

But yea, there is always going to be guys that want to label people. It's in other things like sports teams as well. You're not a real fan unless you buy a season ticket, or liked them for 10 years, or live by them...... yadda yadda yadda.......
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#4Fisto81Posted 9/10/2013 1:38:53 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#5Tsutarja495Posted 9/10/2013 1:40:27 PM
I would think a gamer is someone who goes where the best games are of the genres they are interested in, without letting brand loyalty get in the way of anything.
---
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg
#6SyCo_VeNoMPosted 9/10/2013 1:40:29 PM
Well my choice of words(and any I can substitute) to describe what I would like to say about the guy saying pikmin 3 isn't a real game would get me suspended or banned so I won't bother on that.

But about a real gamer. If you enjoy playing a variety of games then I would say you are a real gamer.

I only threw the word variety in to try and separate those people that will play that bejewled game of the month on their phone occasionally as I don't count those as gamers, just people killing time.
#7BAtenDiddyPosted 9/10/2013 1:41:00 PM
NCPwn posted...
TC, I still play NES games, The wii in my opinion was a failure to games. However, it allowed me to unhook my NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube from my entertainment system. So in that regard, it was a huge win.

What I also find hilrious, is the people that make fun of mobile gaming. I've found better RTS, TBS, and Flight simulator games on my iPhone, then on consoles and even on PC.

But yea, there is always going to be guys that want to label people. It's in other things like sports teams as well. You're not a real fan unless you buy a season ticket, or liked them for 10 years, or live by them...... yadda yadda yadda.......

you're not a real fan if you critcize your team.
---
Don't be dumb, you have to be sober to make important decisions - Blue Like Jazz
#8ElectricMolePosted 9/10/2013 1:41:25 PM
Real gamers appreciate games on all platforms. They might have console bias, but arent so stupid that they'd ignore a good game regardless of what system its on, even if its xbox, playstation or iphone.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#9METALINGUS5150Posted 9/10/2013 1:41:28 PM
real gamers play video games.
#10Dev0311Posted 9/10/2013 1:42:13 PM
I'm real