Playing Virtual Console Games on Gamepad, Screen Size

#1Fick1122Posted 9/10/2013 9:24:35 PM
Has anyone noticed that when playing VC games on the gamepad, the screen size is slightly stretched? Just a tad bit horizontally, but enough to make sprites in a game look a little stretched. It is minor and a non-issue, but I'm not sure why this was done.
#2Jacob46719Posted 9/10/2013 9:36:05 PM
no black borders
---
Buying These: Mario 3D World, WWHD, SSB4, SSB4, MK8, Watch Dogs, CoD: Ghosts, Pokemon Y, Zelda: ALBW, X
May Buy These: PS4, Infamous: SS, Destiny, ESO
#3DiscostewSMPosted 9/10/2013 10:36:46 PM(edited)
I think they were attempting to give it that 4:3 ratio that the games were originally developed for back in the day. The games themselves aren't 4:3, but the TVs that displayed them were. They also did this with 3DS VC, and honestly, it really messes it up. They should include the option to change the display type in the emulator settings. Some may like the 4:3 stretched mode, but I'm one that likes 1:1 pixel ratios.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean, all NES games and the majority of SNES games used the 256x224 display mode. In terms of 1:1 pixel ratios, the screen ratio would then be at about 3.43:3. But, TVs back in the day displayed everything in 4:3, so it made each pixel look like it was slightly wider, making them rectangles rather than squares. So Nintendo implemented the mode to stretch from 3.43:3 to 4:3 to try and mimic it.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#4Fick1122(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 9:01:40 PM
Ah okay, that makes sense. I agree though, you would think that there would be an option to change it, but I guess it isn't that big of a deal. Still noticeable, but now I know the reasoning. Thanks for the reply!