Metroid story

#71rayneotaconPosted 9/13/2013 11:29:45 PM
uberking422 posted...
You know, I keep seeing people pull the "Other M doesn't fit into canon" card. How? It happens between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. What's so confusing?

And what comes between Metroid 1 and 2? Not a damn thing according to Other M.
#72uberking422Posted 9/13/2013 11:34:12 PM
rayneotacon posted...
uberking422 posted...
You know, I keep seeing people pull the "Other M doesn't fit into canon" card. How? It happens between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. What's so confusing?

But how does Other M negate the Prime series? It doesn't reference it, but I don't remember any scenes where it's stated that "PHOZON DOESN'T EXIST" or "SAMUS DIDN'T DO ANYTHING BETWEEN ONE AND TWO". If every Zelda game in the timeline doesn't explicitly reference every game that happened before it in canon, does that meet that it's actively trying to discredit the games it doesn't mention?
#73GensokyoPosted 9/13/2013 11:36:26 PM
uberking422 posted...
rayneotacon posted...
uberking422 posted...

But how does Other M negate the Prime series? It doesn't reference it, but I don't remember any scenes where it's stated that "PHOZON DOESN'T EXIST" or "SAMUS DIDN'T DO ANYTHING BETWEEN ONE AND TWO". If every Zelda game in the timeline doesn't explicitly reference every game that happened before it in canon, does that meet that it's actively trying to discredit the games it doesn't mention?

Play MP3:C.
#74AceMosPosted 9/13/2013 11:37:08 PM
uberking422 posted...

the metroid cloning bit is what stops it as in both games samus expresses shock that the federation would do that
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#75C810Posted 9/14/2013 12:30:24 AM
philamike posted...
AceMos posted...
^^ uhh thats not what dark was complaign about

it says samus used wild palsma shots to defeat ridley

when she dont fire wildly she fires persion well aimed shots

So how is that a large plot hole that retcons the story? It is just a subjective description. A real plot hole looks like this (Harry Potter spoilers):

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/1/29/17/enhanced-buzz-16277-1359498374-0.jpg

Rowling explained that though on the Pottermore website. Time turners can only be used to rewind a small amount of time, like no more than a couple hours. Beyond that, time starts to do weird things. She stated that once a witch went back 500 years and was stuck there for 11 days. Her interactions with people changed their lives such that entire lines of descendants disappeared from the current time. In addition to this, when she finally returned to the present, her body irreversibly aged 500 years and she died a few days afterwards. So incredibly strict rules and laws were placed upon time turners to prevent these events from happening again.

In order for Hermione to get one, McGonagall had to write several letters to the Ministry of Magic saying that she would use the time turner responsibly and in accordance with all bylaws.

Hermione gave the time turner back at the end of the book because using it was too taxing on her. In Order of the Phoenix, during the battle in the Ministry, the cabinet containing the time turners was knocked over and broke all the time turners. However, the cabinet was trapped in an infinite loop that caused the cabinet to fall and then reverse. Since no one really used time turners anyway and because they were all old already, time turners were effectively lost.

Back on topic, Other M tries to fit with the established lore, but it contradicts it at every turn as already established by dark. This is most blatant with Fusion since a lot of the same elements appear in both, so a lot of Samus' reactions in Fusion don't make sense at all.
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
#76philamikePosted 9/14/2013 1:15:13 AM
C810 posted...
Rowling explained that though on the Pottermore website.

TBH, I never even heard of that site. That sounds like a retcon she made after the fact to explain away a mistake, but okay fair enough.
---
You don't have time to ponder such questions, as Bruce Willis has just grabbed a jet plane.
#77Jack_the_monke7Posted 9/14/2013 4:22:15 AM
Its astonishing that some people really have no idea what a plot hole is. Samus acting surprised by the same thing twice is a bizarre reaction, but it is far from a ,plot hole. if she said "what?! They're cloning Metroids? They've never done this before!" that might be a plot hole but she never explicitly says this is the first time in Fusion. therefore we can question why she is so surprised the second time around but it is not a plot hole.
---
King Boo for Super Smash Bros.
Spread the word, show your support
#78slymshadyPosted 9/14/2013 5:46:56 AM
This has inspired me to replay other m, such s good game
#79colt85Posted 9/14/2013 7:36:54 AM
Jack_the_monke7 posted...
Its astonishing that some people really have no idea what a plot hole is. Samus acting surprised by the same thing twice is a bizarre reaction, but it is far from a ,plot hole. if she said "what?! They're cloning Metroids? They've never done this before!" that might be a plot hole but she never explicitly says this is the first time in Fusion. therefore we can question why she is so surprised the second time around but it is not a plot hole.

As I said, apparently the people complaining about Other M have no idea what plot hole means.

In RE1, why didn't Rebecca explained anything that happened in RE0?
In FE6, why doesn't Eliwood say anything about what happened in FE7?
In Super Metroid, the intro doesn't say anything about the Prime series.

PLOTHOLES everywhere! Because characters don't react or mention things from sequels made years after the original game was released and weren't even planned!!</sarcasm>
---
http://calkubo.deviantart.com/
You know the user is a troll, you know the topic is just to provoke people, and yet you still post on it...
#80KaiserWarriorPosted 9/14/2013 8:46:37 AM
GradyHoover posted...
Other M is everything I ever wanted a 3D Metroid game, with one exception - They shouldn't have locked off backtracking so much. Same problem existed in Fusion, of course.

But yeah, the gameplay was basically Super Metroid in 3D in a way that the Prime series never really was. Say it's "crappy" at your peril.

No, it was not "basically Super Metroid in 3D". Other M is an abject piece of garbage posing as a Metroid game, and you want to know why?

This door.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd83/Kaiserwarrior/Why_Other_M_Sucks.png

This door right here explains everything you need to know about why Other M is a garbage Metroid game. This door in Super Metroid, deep in the bowels of Norfair, has no less than SIX valid means of access. You can:

1. Use the Grapple Beam to swing across from the 'pillar' to the door using the grapple blocks (the 'intended' method)

2. Use the Ice Beam to freeze a waver in the room, then use that waver as a platform to jump up to the door (the 'alternative equipment' method)

3. Use the Space Jump to jump up to the door from anywhere in the room (the 'endgame alternative equipment' method)

3. Walljump off the left wall and the very tip of the door ledge, up to the door (the 'undocumented techniques that the game teaches to you elsewhere' method)

4. Infinite Bomb Jump from near the bottom of the room up to the ledge, the nudge over to the door (the 'advanced usage of basic techniques' method)

5. Carry a Speed Booster charge from the room and hall where you acquire it, duck and store a Shinespark immediately after crossing the door into the antechamber, quickly shoot through the floor and open the door into the big room from the antechamber with the Wave Beam, then Horizontal Shinespark through the door and across the big room to the target door (the 'highly skilled use of multiple pieces of equipment and advanced techniques' method)

In Other M, by contrast, nearly everything has exactly one solution. There are invisible walls that keep you from space jumping to a missile pack that they want you to get by speedboosting through a wall in the previous room. There are all kinds of areas that can only be reached by one method and have no alternative solutions. Other M is a mediocre game in general, and a garbage Metroid game.