Why is it when someone talks about the poor sales of the Wii U

#31TalentedMPosted 9/14/2013 12:51:16 AM
ExtremelyFatGuy posted...
someone ALWAYS says that Nintendo has plenty of money in the bank and nothing to worry about? Look, WE KNOW THIS. People want to talk about the potential failure of the Wii U *not* if Nintendo is going out of business, going software only, or if the company is turning a profit. The key question is if the console *only* is turning a profit or if it will in the future, and if not, then when will a successor arrive. Another question is how much or if at all does Nintendo "get" their current dilemma. That is what people want to talk about.

I feel like with the new bundle coming around there will be a lot of consoles being sold and in time the console will definitely turn a profit with random bundles and getting more and more adopters. It is already a year into their run and they dropped the price, I don't think that they are taking that huge of a hit in the console department and to be fair Nintendo is more of a software game than a console game. The console is the foot in the door and I am sure they will have plenty of feet in plenty of doors.

Nintendo fully understands their dilemma they are in, that is why the push for the holiday is so strong this year. To try and get those people who werent interested finally interested with hit games, a price drop and bundles.

Personally, the dead giveaway is that Nintendo is resorting to Mario sports games one year in. That tells me Nintendo is already going through the motions and mostly focusing on the next console. The last time Nintendo did this was the late Gamecube era--mostly Mario sports and Mario Party games. I think Miyamoto doesn't get it at all and it's everyone else who has to pick up the slack. Once he does get it is probably the turning point. I know people will rip me for saying this, but I hope Wii U ends up being worst case scenario and the new system is out by 2015. That way Nintendo is only two years behind and with the slow start to the other consoles they can get ahead pretty quickly by neglecting the (most likely) failed Wii U. It won't help people who do buy it but then again Nintendo fans are so rabid it probably won't turn them off too much.

Every gen starts with the new console and instantly the next console starts being thought up. So yeah, they are focusing on the next line of consoles, but they are not ignoring their current console. If anything Wii Sports was the first game anyone played on their Wii and was a huge hit, I don't think that spells doom for the console at all... If anything it could be a good thing for them.

Miyamoto is a pretty creative individual and I feel like his creativity may be more jarring than most people think when it comes to his games. He is at the helm, but really it is all the people working for him that surprise him with new things, and ideas and I think he is just in the right mindset to say "Lets do it! Sounds fun!".

At what part is the Wii U a failure? Because it isn't selling like the Wii? Is it because it isn't as powerful as a PS4?

To be honest, the power of a console was never in the forefront of my mind when I bought anything but my PC, where performance is key in a lot of games. With a console though I always look at the games they are going to provide me, and the Wii U has the potential in it to deliver some great experiences, I feel like that is more than enough to not count it out just yet.

The main thing to consider here is that not every console is created equal, if it were this world would be dull. Options are fantastic and you should always grab and new and unique experiences other than staying with the same old thing. I commend anyone who makes something new and bold and functional than those staying with what works.

I love hamburgers, but I wouldn't eat them every day. (PS4)
---
I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing
#32Pac12345Posted 9/14/2013 1:10:24 AM
Pff... Typical hardcore fanboy topics. They will defend their precious third parties as if they were being paid to do do.
#33ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 3:23:06 AM
king_madden posted...
they probably wont perform "poorly", but i do expect them to be 3rd. For the most part they are finally entering the xbox/ps3 war, and stepping into HD gaming, and hopefully getting some of their multiplat games in the process.

the wii had massive sales in part because it was an ideal 2nd system, you have your main console/pc for gaming, and then the wii for some silly fun with friends or a party setting, or the rare/occasional big single player experience. The wiiU however doesnt exactly have that same 2nd system appeal as far as being a cheap party system. its not overly cheap and not all that great as a party system. so now people have to ask themselves "do i want a 2nd system for the handful of games that i want to experience (marios/zeldas)?"

sure there are those who will buy all consoles to experience everything anyway, but they arent the majority.

This is the type of response I was looking for.
#34ExtremelyFatGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 3:24:29 AM
Gamerguymass posted...
Anyone saying they want Nintendo to go 3rd party is really saying that they want Nintendo to go out of business. The fact of the matter is, according to Nintendo own public earnings reports roughly 52% of their profit comes from HARDWARE. That means if Nintendo were to drop the Wii U today and go 3rd party they would go down the tubes within a few years. Not to mention the games they did put out before that happened would be riddled with bugs since they didn't design the hardware its on.

The choices are simple: You either want Nintendo to stay in business which means they have to make their own consoles, or you want Nintendo to go out of business which means no more Mario or Zelda ever again. There is no middle ground.

There is no middle ground? That's exactly the problem I was talking about. Level headed people know there is always a middle ground.
#35Tsutarja495Posted 9/14/2013 7:03:12 AM
userfrigginame posted...
Wait, what Mario sports games are even out?

Dude, you know what I mean. That is exactly what I am talking about. You totally know what I meant. There is a Mario Olympics game coming out in a few months. The point is that Nintendo doesn't usually resort to a quick buck (Mario sports) so quickly, which means they are distracted.

What are you talking about? The first Mario & Sonic Olympics was in 2007, a year after Wii's launch. It's exactly the same time frame.
---
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg
#36userfrigginamePosted 9/14/2013 7:47:26 AM(edited)
AceMos posted...
userfrigginame posted...

Dude, you know what I mean. That is exactly what I am talking about. You totally know what I meant. There is a Mario Olympics game coming out in a few months. The point is that Nintendo doesn't usually resort to a quick buck (Mario sports) so quickly, which means they are distracted.

um sega makes the olympics games

and you may not be aware of this but the olympics is a real world sporting event

What? Man, that doesn't count. They have an Olympics sports game every time the Olympics comes up. You got me all excited, thinkin they were gonna release Mario Tennis or something, or already had a Mario sports game out.
#37DrSouljaBoi69Posted 9/14/2013 7:41:44 AM
Because Nintendo fanboys think having a large cash amount in the bank is good even if it's sitting there doing nothing like with RIM...
#38squatch22Posted 9/14/2013 7:46:20 AM
^We have a new trollbo y

Wonder whose alt this one is...
---
SMASH BROS 4 PREORDERED AND PROUD OF IT.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#39DrSouljaBoi69Posted 9/14/2013 7:47:41 AM
dunno what you are even talking about kid, mind spelling it out for us?
#40MichaelS91Posted 9/14/2013 7:51:03 AM
userfrigginame posted...

Sega are making the Olympic games, both the official and M&S games (as they have done since 2007), nintendo help a little bit with M&S game. And with the Winter Olympics very soon what did you think they were going to do? This isn't resorting to a quick buck at all.
---
NNID: stretfordender91
PSN: m-smith1991