Why do so many people dislike Metroid: Other M?

#1Weltall548Posted 9/13/2013 8:38:31 PM
I've never played it. Is it really that bad?
---
Batman: Arkham City is the best game of all time.
#2Halladay32Posted 9/13/2013 8:46:56 PM
The story is awful (and there's a large emphasis on the story), and the gameplay is not horrible, but combat is easily exploited and dull.
It's not the worst game in the world, but it's average at best.
(All my opinion, of course)
---
"Your nose is just a little closer to me than your ears."
#3AK_the_TwilightPosted 9/13/2013 9:02:04 PM
The most common complaint I've heard is the story. Many people who dislike it cite the fact that Samus is "less empowered" in Other M and that the emphasis on story is even more troubling due to unskippable cutscenes.

As far as gameplay, I haven't heard many complaints about that at all.
---
There's no mistaking it.
#4WeaponHunterXPosted 9/13/2013 9:08:09 PM
The story is a 5-7/10 in my opinion, the gameplay is pretty fun, it's sort of a simplified version of the newer Ninja Gaiden games. From boards I've ever seen people hate the game cause of perceived characterizations, I mean in all the games before Samus really doesn't have a personality at all and they tried to give her one in the game. And a LOT of people didn't like what they tried with her cause it went against the grain, but honestly as a game it's a pretty middle of the road one and worth a play at least once. You can probably get it dirt cheap at gamestop or a independent game store.
---
"You have caused me pain...... I. Do. Not. Like that.- Rando, Yu Yu Hakusho
3DS XL FC: 2251-4767-4525
#5elkenPosted 9/13/2013 9:17:24 PM
The game was not great, but not bad either.
Easly the best looking game on the Wii with a fun gameplay. The story was really weak.

What we need is another Super Metroid close kind of game in HD.
---
*Fav Genres: RPG\Adventure\Survival *Fav Consoles: Sony & Nintendo *Fav Handhelds: 3DS XL & PSP
*PSN: Elken13
#6TallWhiteNinjaPosted 9/13/2013 9:20:02 PM
The story is abysmal: even if you ignore what it does to the rest of the series, it's pretty damn bad.

The gameplay...while not completely awful, it's not especially noteworthy. It severely downplays the exploration elements that imo make the series great in the first place, the dodge roll is one of the more overpowered in any game (which makes the whole thing pretty easy), going into first person mode is clunky, awkward, and awful, and the "pixel hunt" sections are obnoxious. The action does manage to be reasonably fun at times, though imo not enough to offset all the game's flaws.

Basically: if you don't care much for the series, you'll find it a flawed, somewhat forgettable, but reasonably fun action game with a horrendous plot. If you're a Metroid fan...it's the deserved black sheep.
---
Either the worst great player or the best horrible player you'll ever meet.
#7ajko000Posted 9/13/2013 9:31:54 PM(edited)
Gameplay wise it's meh, they couldn't have an analogical moving device, oh no, digital is best for 3D environments, and motion controls fer leif.

Story was dreadful.

All in all? 4/10.

To someone who doesn't understand Metroid in the slightest? 8/10.
#8_Sovereign_Posted 9/13/2013 9:25:51 PM
Treat it like an old Castlevania title, mute the sound and turn on some shredding guitars, enjoy mindless fun! At least that was how I was able to get through the game.
---
"Microsoft demands simultaneous multiplatform releases" - Type that into your search bar and you'll see why you should buy Rayman on Wii U, not ports.
#9DTY3Posted 9/13/2013 9:33:49 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u?search=other+m
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.
#10Dark GunnerPosted 9/13/2013 9:34:52 PM
It's one of the few games out there that I can honestly say, for me, has no redeemable qualities. On top of that it IN MY MIND ruins one of my all time favorite characters, and that's all I'm going to say because I've ranted way to much about that game.
---
PSN: FinalOcean 3DS FC: 1289-8249-2905
Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask