Why do so many people dislike Metroid: Other M?

#11SyCo_VeNoMPosted 9/13/2013 8:39:40 PM
read http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100

1st 14 pages of that are on the story ALONE and how terribly done it is, and how it takes large dumps all over the past metroids. It also points to a pile of plot holes, and talks about how driving plot elements are just dropped at random. Then it talks about how Samus is not really even a main character in the game as she does nothing. She doesn't kill Ridley, MB, nothing 3rd rate characters some of which don't even have names take all the glory as all samus does is cry like a 4 yo girl who's dolly was taken and ripped up. If they removed samus, and just had you play as some GF officer the game would have made more sense.
#12Breastmilkn_DipPosted 9/14/2013 10:04:13 AM
WeaponHunterX posted...
...they tried to give her one in the game.

In that case, I'm surprised this game wasn't better received.
-
--
---
Oscar See Through Red Eye
#13GEKGanonPosted 9/14/2013 10:09:33 AM
If you thought Other M had a bad story, play any of the first 3 games. They have pretty much no story. And in terms of what is canon to the series, you can toss out the entire Prime line, the series creator said it doesn't count.

So we're left with... Fusion?
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#14Companion_Cube_Posted 9/14/2013 10:11:05 AM
Yes. It is.

We don't speak of that game, Sonic 06, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, or any Crash Bandicoot game released after Twinsanity
---
People who say Nintendo games are for kids need to grow up themselves.
Past/Current Systems: GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, PSOne, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360
#15FenderMasterPosted 9/14/2013 10:15:34 AM
Because the Samus it presented was not consistent with the Samus in later games.

Because they think it had no exploration or sequence breaking. It did, but it was more about exploring the environments and rooms you were funneled through, rather than exploring an open world.

It purposely chose a limiting control scheme, it had issues, but still worked far better than I ever thought it would.

I preferred it to Prime, better platforming, puzzles and level design (for the most part) imo.
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#16Companion_Cube_Posted 9/14/2013 10:18:44 AM
GEKGanon posted...
If you thought Other M had a bad story, play any of the first 3 games. They have pretty much no story. And in terms of what is canon to the series, you can toss out the entire Prime line, the series creator said it doesn't count.

So we're left with... Fusion?

Super's story is great. Whatcha' talking about?
---
People who say Nintendo games are for kids need to grow up themselves.
Past/Current Systems: GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, PSOne, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360
#17Fenrir-JuubiPosted 9/14/2013 10:21:46 AM
The story was...BAD. Not so bad it's good, was painfully bad.
---
"Now, struggle! Suffer! Kill! Show me! Dance around like the little Xbots you are! Your sad, wretched screams will open up the FIFTH CONSOLE WAR!"
#18BDzaPosted 9/14/2013 10:30:44 AM(edited)
I wouldn't say it is a bad game, more like an average game. Most posts here already mentioned what I would say was good and bad about the game.

I will add that using missiles was one of my problems with the game. I didn't mind pointing the Wii remote at the TV to use missiles but forcing you to stand still was huge step backwards. Samus is a quick as hell bounty hunter so I couldn't see why she now had to stand still when using missiles. Running and gunning was one of favorite parts about playing Samus.
---
<G>A Brother who always helps the widow's son; are you a traveling man too?<G>
Addicted to->FE: Awakening
#19fluffy_kinsPosted 9/14/2013 12:29:06 PM
Other M has some good things going for it. The combat is fun, you feel like a god by the end of the game and the space station with all the hologram environments can be cool.

However, the story was just atrocious. It's like they put zero thought into it. So many things don't make sense and Samus has some truly embarrassing moments. After learning a little bit about Adam in Fusion, I was really looking forward to getting the story behind all that, but they completely squandered the opportunity. I was hoping for Samus to have a much more interesting back story as well, possibly even getting to play during flashback scenes of her training or.... oh, I dunno... actually mentioning the Chozo!

One other gripe I have is how everything tends to look kind of dark and metallic... I always like the organic-looking environments in past Metroid games, but here I was always very aware that I was on a space station. It's a shame because sometimes they have these awesome artificial environments but it seems like they always have you pull a switch 2 seconds later to turn it off.

If Other M had a better story and stuck with more inspired, organic environments instead of the generic space station backdrop, it could have been a really awesome game. That's not to say it isn't a decent game as is, but it doesn't come close to the Prime series or any of the 2D games unfortunately.
---
"damn, it's like a disco ball's in front of my face!" -chris redfield
#20P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 9/14/2013 12:46:08 PM
You should actually play it for yourself. As for the story, it's quite easy to follow if you pay attention.
---
NNID: Ko-san
"SUUUPERRR!"