Is it nostalgia or did SNES/N64 era games have better soundtracks?

#1plasmatic5Posted 9/13/2013 9:17:33 PM
I've been listening to a lot of different video game music recently and it seems like a lot of the stuff I prefer is from the SNES and N64 era. Some of it isn't even from games I've played so I doubt it's completely nostalgia. Anyone else prefer game music from the olden days?
---
My Superheroes consist of the band members of the Who, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles
#2colt85Posted 9/13/2013 9:19:42 PM
Although many oldies have great compositions, you'd be a fool to deny that nostalgia has a lot to do with it.
---
http://calkubo.deviantart.com/
You know the user is a troll, you know the topic is just to provoke people, and yet you still post on it...
#3AsuirPosted 9/13/2013 9:20:39 PM
SNES had incredible soundtracks, but I believe the PS2 was better simply because of better technology.
---
Ftw!
#4diggyfreshPosted 9/13/2013 9:22:32 PM
It's not nostalgia. 16 bit game sound was limited. When artists are given limited resources they are forced to be more creative. A lot of those old 16 bit tunes are very catchy and have great melodies.

It may not be that they were better, but they were different than soundtracks in games today.
---
Currently Playing: Dragon Quest IX (DS) & Wonderful 101 (Wii U)
Progress: ???
#5chris1001 the sequelPosted 9/13/2013 9:24:44 PM
I think today's benefit from the better technology available, there are some amazing soundtracks coming out today. I think it's honestly pretty even.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#6grandabxPosted 9/13/2013 9:30:49 PM
Go to youtube and listen to soundtracks from:

1. Super Castlevania 4

2. Super Metroid

3. Super R-Type

4. Super Ghouls & Ghosts

5. Final Fantasy 3(6)

6. Chrono Trigger

7. Doom 64

8. Batman Returns
#7FuzzyJelloPosted 9/13/2013 9:34:23 PM
diggyfresh posted...
It's not nostalgia. 16 bit game sound was limited. When artists are given limited resources they are forced to be more creative. A lot of those old 16 bit tunes are very catchy and have great melodies.

^ That. Started playing games in 99', so no pre-3D filter here.

The other part of it, really, is age. The more established genres become and the more music is made for those established genres, the sound is going to start to blur together in places. How big a deal this is is absolutely subjective, but it is a thing.
#8SyCo_VeNoMPosted 9/13/2013 9:34:25 PM
DKC had a killer soundtrack Aquatic Ambiance was really good also loved the intro.
#9kaiser ryuPosted 9/13/2013 9:51:58 PM
FuzzyJello posted...
diggyfresh posted...

The other part of it, really, is age. The more established genres become and the more music is made for those established genres, the sound is going to start to blur together in places. How big a deal this is is absolutely subjective, but it is a thing.

To give this more focus, it's that with limits on the variety of sounds they can sample and how many of them can be played at once, composers were forced to focus on strong and simple melodies. And melody driven songs are generally what you call radio friendly. They're what makes mass appeal.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#10chris1001 the sequelPosted 9/13/2013 9:57:03 PM
kaiser ryu posted...
FuzzyJello posted...
diggyfresh posted...

To give this more focus, it's that with limits on the variety of sounds they can sample and how many of them can be played at once, composers were forced to focus on strong and simple melodies. And melody driven songs are generally what you call radio friendly. They're what makes mass appeal.

mostly to your sig. Tales is getting some pretty good love right now, Xillia's out and it's first month and it's first month total beat the lifetime sales of all but 3 of the games, and Xillia 2 and Symphonia HD are confirmed for stateside release.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html