If it weren't for Nintendo, I dont think I would even be a "gamer" anymore...

#1PUNCHOUT1116Posted 9/17/2013 9:26:18 AM
32 here, soon to be 33, been playing games for as long as I remember. Up until a couple of years ago, I've always been a multiconsole owner for the most part. The minute one of the "big" games was released, there I was, waiting in line to purchase them. The GTAs, the Halos, the Bioshocks, Elder Scrolls, you name it. I was there day one, money in hand.

Over the past few years, something has been changing though. I started becoming increasingly disinterested in most of these games, to the point where I stopped buying them completely. It's not that they were "bad" games, it was just me. I can't explain it, but most of these highly regarded, critically acclaimed games that everyone else seems to love just weren't clicking with me, and were actually boring me to tears. I became less and less excited about these new releases to the point that I just quit buying them. I haven't played the newest entries in all of the big franchises in a couple of years honestly. I just dont have the desire for some reason.

Then there's Nintendo. I dont know what it is about most of their games, but they actually still manage to "hook" me. They usually dont have amazing graphics, elaborate stories, and grandiose cutscenes, but there's just something about them that keeps me interested and eagerly awaiting the next installments. I find myself enjoying my time with most of them, and I'm honestly not sure why that is the case exactly.

Regardless, as much as it honestly saddens me to say, as this has been my main cherished hobby for decades, I've essentially turned in my gamer card. I dont play much anymore at all, and haven't bought a retail game in over 6 months. I just have no interest anymore.

Yet here I am, counting the days til WWHD, Mario 3D World, and A Link Between Worlds. As disinterested in gaming as I am these days, Nintendo has still managed to keep there claws in me. I'll be there day one.

That said, I don't know what Nintendo does differently with their games, but it's working, atleast on me anyway. I guess if there was only one company keeping me remotely interested in this hobby, I could do alot worse than Nintendo...
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#2guedesbrawlPosted 9/17/2013 9:29:24 AM
i probably wouldn't even get to be a gamer in the first place.
---
Here's hoping that Chrom will do Aether correctly in SSB4...
#3fatelordPosted 9/17/2013 9:30:23 AM
Fire emblem is made by Nintendo rt ?
It's their best product IMO ..
Other Nintendo games are .... Good for killing a little bit of time, like angry birds on a bigger scale ..
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
#4Dev0311Posted 9/17/2013 9:32:47 AM
Simple games are fun
#5nickvd8Posted 9/17/2013 9:38:58 AM
I agree with you 100%. I'm 29 and I started losing interest in a lot of the 3rd party "core" titles starting about 2 years ago. I spent most of 2005-2009 playing shooters and online games on the 360 but my interest just faded fast. I have no interest in Call of Duty, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Grand Theft Auto or Assassin's Creed which many consider the OMG AAA titles for da win!

But I still find plenty of games that I love that many consider rehashes, "games relying on nostalgia" or whatever. NSMB U and NSL U both managed to sink their claws into me in spite of being just a 2D platformer. The surge in indie games is really the only other aspect of gaming that's got me hooked. Some of these retro style platformers and such are just so damn fun. The big publishers don't think a lot of this stuff has appeal *capcom* so it's nice to see MN9 just killing it. Makes me happy to still be gaming and I'm looking forward to the Wii U & 3DS lineup throughout the holidays.
#6The_Shadow_LinkPosted 9/17/2013 9:39:10 AM
You probably should be looking at the Indie Market more than Nintendo. Nintendo is more of the same as they have always done. Indie is new and interest catching, at a much cheaper price as well.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#7PUNCHOUT1116(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 9:40:42 AM
I guess I just posted this to get it off my chest in a way. Gaming was a HUGE part of my life, and in a way, it kinda saddens me that its not anymore.

It's weird how my hobbies have completely changed over the past 10 years. I played games and wrote music. That was my life. I didn't watch TV for almost a decade because I would have rather been playing games.

Now, I dont play anymore, and I haven't picked up a guitar and wrote a song in well over a year. I can't even remember how long it's been.

My main hobby now is easily weight lifting. I do it everyday, and I absolutely love it. I'm always thinking of ways to change up my routine, and things to add to the mix. I watch TV every night now. I went from watching nothing for ten years, to having atleast one show every night of the week that I have to sit down and watch.

Regardless, it seems that I'm destined to always make time for good ol Nintendo lol
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#8PUNCHOUT1116(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 9:42:23 AM
nickvd8 posted...
I agree with you 100%. I'm 29 and I started losing interest in a lot of the 3rd party "core" titles starting about 2 years ago. I spent most of 2005-2009 playing shooters and online games on the 360 but my interest just faded fast. I have no interest in Call of Duty, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Grand Theft Auto or Assassin's Creed which many consider the OMG AAA titles for da win!

But I still find plenty of games that I love that many consider rehashes, "games relying on nostalgia" or whatever. NSMB U and NSL U both managed to sink their claws into me in spite of being just a 2D platformer. The surge in indie games is really the only other aspect of gaming that's got me hooked. Some of these retro style platformers and such are just so damn fun. The big publishers don't think a lot of this stuff has appeal *capcom* so it's nice to see MN9 just killing it. Makes me happy to still be gaming and I'm looking forward to the Wii U & 3DS lineup throughout the holidays.

You sound alot like me lol.
---
#9PUNCHOUT1116(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 9:44:14 AM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
You probably should be looking at the Indie Market more than Nintendo. Nintendo is more of the same as they have always done. Indie is new and interest catching, at a much cheaper price as well.

I've actually checked a few out, and many of them are fun little time wasters. Gunman Clive and Cloudberry Kingdom come to mind. I dont play them alot, but whenever I have the itch to play something, they scratch it pretty nicely.
---
#10Maverick_ReznorPosted 9/17/2013 9:47:57 AM
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
The_Shadow_Link posted...

I've actually checked a few out, and many of them are fun little time wasters. Gunman Clive and Cloudberry Kingdom come to mind. I dont play them alot, but whenever I have the itch to play something, they scratch it pretty nicely.

rogue legacy is nice as well
---
Making gamefaqs a better place by ignoring 1 ignorant user at a time : )