If it weren't for Nintendo, I dont think I would even be a "gamer" anymore...

#41The13DoctorsPosted 9/17/2013 12:52:37 PM
I'm on the exact same boat...
---
Platinum, Monolith, Atlus, Retro, Next Level Games | Sonic + [Mega Man?]
Good time to be a Nintendo Gamer :D
#42_BristowPosted 9/17/2013 1:07:11 PM
YES JESSUSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssss
---
Everytime I post on this website I make the world a better place.
#43TalesOfGodPosted 9/17/2013 1:31:34 PM
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
32 here, soon to be 33, been playing games for as long as I remember. Up until a couple of years ago, I've always been a multiconsole owner for the most part. The minute one of the "big" games was released, there I was, waiting in line to purchase them. The GTAs, the Halos, the Bioshocks, Elder Scrolls, you name it. I was there day one, money in hand.

Over the past few years, something has been changing though. I started becoming increasingly disinterested in most of these games, to the point where I stopped buying them completely. It's not that they were "bad" games, it was just me. I can't explain it, but most of these highly regarded, critically acclaimed games that everyone else seems to love just weren't clicking with me, and were actually boring me to tears. I became less and less excited about these new releases to the point that I just quit buying them. I haven't played the newest entries in all of the big franchises in a couple of years honestly. I just dont have the desire for some reason.

Then there's Nintendo. I dont know what it is about most of their games, but they actually still manage to "hook" me. They usually dont have amazing graphics, elaborate stories, and grandiose cutscenes, but there's just something about them that keeps me interested and eagerly awaiting the next installments. I find myself enjoying my time with most of them, and I'm honestly not sure why that is the case exactly.

Regardless, as much as it honestly saddens me to say, as this has been my main cherished hobby for decades, I've essentially turned in my gamer card. I dont play much anymore at all, and haven't bought a retail game in over 6 months. I just have no interest anymore.

Yet here I am, counting the days til WWHD, Mario 3D World, and A Link Between Worlds. As disinterested in gaming as I am these days, Nintendo has still managed to keep there claws in me. I'll be there day one.

That said, I don't know what Nintendo does differently with their games, but it's working, atleast on me anyway. I guess if there was only one company keeping me remotely interested in this hobby, I could do alot worse than Nintendo...

I have to agree with you.
Sony and Microsoft has been murdering my interest in video games (Total War Rome 2 doesn't help the PC either) so I feel like they've been doing a trashy job of making good video games.

Seriously, the only thing that I actually like in the Sony place is the JRPGs genre they have on there. Other than that, none of their games have been turning appealing at all.

As for Microsoft, they made the original Fable a great game (and perhaps, the Halo series on a much lesser extent). Then they turned it into utter garbage and they haven't released any good games ever since.

Nintendo, JRPGs (and my old games) are pretty much the only reason I am gaming right now.
#44CelesEsperIce3Posted 9/17/2013 1:45:02 PM
I'm 31 and I feel the exact same way. I've all but given up on mainstream gaming, but Nintendo still gets me excited for their releases. I think its because the more life experience you get the less you want your games to be anything like real life. Nintendo still excels at creating fun fanciful games that keep you wanting more.
---
I like cheese!!!
#45justdontaskPosted 9/17/2013 1:45:56 PM
if it werent for Nintendo, i wouldnt be a gamer at all. sure, if you asked for my top 10 favorite games, none would be Nintendo. but Nintendo games are the only ones that im genuinely excited for, and cant wait for the release day on any of em.

Final Fantasy? i can wait.
Kingdom Hearts? i can wait
Legend of Zelda? I WANNA PLAY IT!
---
i rarely return to topics i post in, if you have a problem with my posts, PM me.
#46CloudslashPosted 9/17/2013 1:51:37 PM
Wow, amazing post TC :)

I think I may be starting down a similar route myself. For the longest time, I've been a fan of JRPGs, and more recently, to a lesser extent, WRPGs, but I feel like the whole RPG genre has slipped into mediocrity these days. The last one I played that I can truly say I loved was The Last Story... over a year ago now.

Most mainstream games just don't do it for me. GTA, Halo, God of War, sports games, etc. I couldn't even enjoy The Last of Us, simply because despite its main selling point being the story, I've played games that predate it by two decades with far better stories and gameplay.

But lately, there's two things that have kept me coming back... indie games, and more recently, Nintendo games.

Indie games have a HUGE advantage of being cheaper, shorter, and less demanding than most AAA games. I've bought a slew of them lately, and actually finished them, unlike these bloated, overly long sandbox games in the mainstream. I'm even noticing a huge difference in my wallet from spending so much less money on these games compared to $60 for a single AAA game. Granted indie games have their own hiccups like being disproportionately overloaded with pop-culture references, and occasional compatibility issues that make no sense, but they've nailed actual good gameplay far better than the big guys these days.

Nintendo... MAN. There's actually more stuff coming out for the WiiU than the Sony and M$ systems combined that I'm looking forward to. The latter has Diablo III, which is already out, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Lightning Returns. That's it. Nintendo has Mario 3D Land U, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (probably my single most anticipated game at the moment), Wonderful 101, Mighty Switch Force 2 HD, Shantae HGH, Bayonetta 2, and Wind Waker HD, as well as some multiplats like Rayman Legends and Pier Solar HD. Plus I still haven't picked up Super Luigi U <.<;;

I'm also interested in seeing how Monolith Soft's upcoming WiiU game, X will be. I wasn't crazy about Xenoblade like most others were, but I do feel like a few small-to-moderate changes could've made it more to my liking, and the RPG genre is desperate for good games right now.

But yeah... I kinda know what you mean. I just don't like where mainstream gaming is right now. Shooting crack-whores and bad mouthing people over XBLA is not my idea of a good gaming experience.
---
"This may be a virtual world, but I feel more alive here than in the real world." - Kirito, Sword Art Online
#47NerdimusPrimePosted 9/17/2013 2:02:07 PM
TC, replace weights with distance running and you've described exactly how I've felt over the last few years. CoD almost killed my desire to play video games of any sort and Nintendo revived it, they know fun like no other company.
---
If you value privacy please sign here: https://optin.stopwatching.us/
#48GamersTavernPosted 9/17/2013 2:03:43 PM
Nintendo is pretty coo'.
---
Main Site: http://www.gamers-tavern.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GamersTavernShow
#49adampeltzPosted 9/17/2013 2:09:09 PM
I'm 26 and definitely identify with TC and the other gamers around my age in this thread. I picked up the original Wii and rediscovered why I got into games in the first place (back when I was an infant with my older sibling's NES).... this was after years of the "meh" feeling the "big budget" 3rd party games gave me.

Nintendo made me a gamer, and now Nintendo is keeping me a gamer. I'm really digging my 3DS and am greatly anticipating what's in store for my Wii U this holiday season.

Nintendo games also avoid that annoying "baditude" that most games go for now. I think I've just outgrown that stuff and want something that feels like a game rather than something that tries to suspend my disbelief and try to be epic or have a realistic sense of place.

I now can't stand games which have a strong narrative which asks me to actually care... I just don't anymore. My time is precious and I need to have fun every time I turn on my console. Nintendo's software and hardware still gives me that.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#50PUNCHOUT1116(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 10:33:12 AM
Speaking of keeping me hooked, Nintendo manages to do it again with Wii Sports Club lol

Me: "I don't think I'm into gaming anymore..."
Nintendo: "Surrrreee you're not... here, bowl online with your friends"

XD
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.