Until Iwata is gone, we need to stop thinking Nintendo is going to buy anything

#1MilesTeg420Posted 9/17/2013 10:05:12 PM
It's clear that Iwata isn't willing to invest heavily in acquiring devs of any sort. Look at how Nintendo first party has lagged behind since Wii. Look at how Nintendo fails to get third party support. Iwata is all about hardware gimmicks. He has failed to invest enough money into first party production, and is reluctant to make any big acquisitions. Can we put the "Nintendo should buy X" topics to rest now? At least until someone replaces Iwata who is willing to open the warchest?

Just look at how production has lagged behing since Iwata took over. Western first party dev investment too low (Retro only making one game?). Franchises stagnant. No new Mario sports games for home console in quite awhile (failure to invest in Camelot), no F-Zero, no Mother, no Metroid, etc...

What do we have? Wii Party U and Wii Fit U that cost far more to develop than they should have. Premium priced titles that were only successful due to their formerly low prices on Wii. Iwata made bad investments for Wii U and is unwilling to spend money to fix anything.
#2FlyinTonitePosted 9/17/2013 10:08:33 PM(edited)
Mother and fzero are dead/pretty much dead series. Third party support (major multiplats anyway) isn't happening so please stop beating a dead horse. It's not lkke they'd help anyway. Please look at sales to see what nintendo gamers generally buy. First party titles.

Aside from that your post was mostly ranting/lies.
---
Wonderful 101: A game where you fight people with people.
#3squatch22Posted 9/17/2013 10:08:15 PM
Monolith and Retro were bought under Iwata...
---
SMASH BROS 4 PREORDERED AND PROUD OF IT.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#4PigfartsPosted 9/17/2013 10:11:16 PM
While I am not positive, I don't think the president of a public company has the final word on many of nintendo's decisions.

In a public company isn't it usually a board with the majority shareholders that makes the decisions?
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#5SyCo_VeNoMPosted 9/17/2013 10:16:20 PM
You do know Iwata can't just walk up with Nintendo's check book, and write a check to buy a company without the OK from a board of investors. They probably looked at Index, and its IP's and were like uhh that aint worth it to buy.

As for the development if I remember right Nintendo has hired a pile of programmers to work on games.

The F-zero thing... after GX I'm happy there isn't another as I found that one to be terrible. The one prior to it I found mediocre. The 1st one I will admit I loved.

Only franchises I would REALLY love to see them do something with on the Wii U(that hasn't been announced, and isn't very likely) is pilotwings(I found the 3ds one limiting, and it seemed rushed), and Wave Race I think those could have some extremely interesting things done with them. Metroid if you look at the development cycle(outside the primes as those were done outside) there is a few year break, and sadly Other M didn't come out that long ago. A Mario sports game is more then likely in development, but unannounced(as it seems they have quite a few unannounced things).
#6DiscostewSMPosted 9/17/2013 10:18:21 PM
I didn't know the acquisition of Atlus (or the lack thereof) was the be all and end all in whether Nintendo would buy "anything"...
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#7MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 10:19:49 PM
squatch22 posted...
Monolith and Retro were bought under Iwata...

Yes, but those are old news, long before the hayday of Wii and DS. Look at what Iwata is responsible for:

Lack of content on 3DS. Lack of content on Wii U. Retro not having enough investment, Camelot not having enough investment. Western first party development investment lower than N64 era. Japanese pubs and devs being worse off now than ever before, yet Nintendo not willing to pull any triggers. Premium priced casual software. Total ignorance regarding online connectivity and investment.
#8MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 10:23:52 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
I didn't know the acquisition of Atlus (or the lack thereof) was the be all and end all in whether Nintendo would buy "anything"...

Give me some evidence Nintendo will buy anything. Give me some evidence Nintendo is stepping up western dev investment.

Iwata has squandered Wii and DS popularity in favor of being cheap and relying on hardware gimmicks, rather than investing in software, which sells consoles. If Nintendo had the first party output of Gamecube (aka before Iwata took the reigns) they would be much better off...
#9squatch22Posted 9/17/2013 10:25:04 PM
/facepalm
---
SMASH BROS 4 PREORDERED AND PROUD OF IT.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#10MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 10:27:50 PM
squatch22 posted...
/facepalm

Figured. Valid examples given, no valid response. Why do I even bother.