Wii U Gamepad Issue

#1TyrantLowKeyPosted 9/18/2013 10:52:07 AM
So I play mario on it a lot and watch Netflix with Wii U gamepad but it stays on and thus runs out of batteries. I do have a Wii U Pro and nun chucks, wondering if I can turn the power off the Wii U Gamepad and not the turn off the system in the process so I can keep watching Netflix? Is that possible for games also esp. like Super Mario Wii U etc.
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Heart Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT IV, ToS, ToGF, TotA, ToX, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#2Fisto81Posted 9/18/2013 10:53:44 AM
Not possible now. When the system is on the gamepad must be on and vice versa. Hopefully they will change this in a future software update.
#3dominatinggamerPosted 9/18/2013 11:01:58 AM
TyrantLowKey posted...
So I play mario on it a lot and watch Netflix with Wii U gamepad but it stays on and thus runs out of batteries. I do have a Wii U Pro and nun chucks, wondering if I can turn the power off the Wii U Gamepad and not the turn off the system in the process so I can keep watching Netflix? Is that possible for games also esp. like Super Mario Wii U etc.

1) If battery drain is the concern, leave it charging while you play with a different controller.

2) you can't turn off the screen while watching netflix as far as I know (see #1)

3) you can turn the gamepad screen off while using another controller for a game that doesn't require the gamepad
---
With friends like you, who needs enemies?
Nintendo ID: Warzone
#4spikejetedPosted 9/18/2013 11:02:10 AM
Fisto81 posted...
Not possible now. When the system is on the gamepad must be on and vice versa. Hopefully they will change this in a future software update.

Not true.

Looks like fisto doesn't own a Wii U. Who woulda thought.

Anyways, if your are using a controller that is not the game pad, and or watching netflix and want the gamepad display off, hit the home button on the gamepad. Then go to the Gamepad settings button on the home key screen, or whatever the eff it's called. Then hit display off. Then use the other controller to hit the home button again. And then........sike.

That is all. Found that out as soon as the netflix app was up. I was killing my idol gampad's battery. That was when I snooped around some setting and saw the display off option.
---
Pokemon White FC: 5415-0064-0126
#5sparkingconduitPosted 9/18/2013 11:05:49 AM
1) If battery drain is the concern, leave it charging while you play with a different controller.

People always suggest this option, but it's a terrible idea. Rechargeable batteries can only last about 500 charges or so and leaving a controller constantly plugged in and charging will reduce the charge capacity even further. I have a school laptop I've only owned for a year and already the battery life is about 60% of what it once was since I leave it plugged in during class all the time.

The best thing to do is let the controller drain and then start charging it until it's done. Then unplug it again. You'll get more longevity that way.
#6TyrantLowKey(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 11:19:00 AM
spikejeted posted...
Fisto81 posted...

Not true.

Looks like fisto doesn't own a Wii U. Who woulda thought.

Anyways, if your are using a controller that is not the game pad, and or watching netflix and want the gamepad display off, hit the home button on the gamepad. Then go to the Gamepad settings button on the home key screen, or whatever the eff it's called. Then hit display off. Then use the other controller to hit the home button again. And then........sike.

That is all. Found that out as soon as the netflix app was up. I was killing my idol gampad's battery. That was when I snooped around some setting and saw the display off option.

Thanks man. I was killing the batteries on the gamepad also and was annoyed because I use it for netflix and amazon and hulu plus so I was killing it on weekends.
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Heart Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT IV, ToS, ToGF, TotA, ToX, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#7TyrantLowKey(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 11:20:29 AM
sparkingconduit posted...

People always suggest this option, but it's a terrible idea. Rechargeable batteries can only last about 500 charges or so and leaving a controller constantly plugged in and charging will reduce the charge capacity even further. I have a school laptop I've only owned for a year and already the battery life is about 60% of what it once was since I leave it plugged in during class all the time.

The best thing to do is let the controller drain and then start charging it until it's done. Then unplug it again. You'll get more longevity that way.

This is true for older batteries. Now batteries are better and not the issue. I don't know about how many recharges it has or not but I am talking about reduced capacity. But you are right, that is a bad idea atleast in my case since I ddn't even need the gamepad on so I am wasting charge for no reason.
---