What Kind of Uses Would You Like to See For the Gamepad?

#1CranberryPSOPosted 9/18/2013 5:48:11 PM
Hey everyone. I thought this board could benefit from having a legitimate discussion about what kind of features you might like to see in a game using the gamepad. Post your thoughts about what kind of games you would like to see, and how the gamepad could be used to incorporate interesting features into it.

I'd like to begin with the StarFox franchise.

I think one really cool use the gamepad could have in a Star Fox game would be for monitoring and managing your wingmen.

Have any of you played... I believe it is Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 where you could issue orders to other Rebel allies? You could command them to run away, engage an enemy, form up with you, etc. I think this idea could be taken and expanded on using the gamepad for Star Fox.

Imagine this scenario - you are working to protect a Cornerian ship, and there are multiple enemy squadrens in the area. Your wingmen are flying in formation with you, using the gamepad you tap an enemy formation, and order Falco to go in that direction and engage them. You might even be able to quickly draw his approach path that you want him to follow. There could also be buttons on the gamepad with options such as "Chase", "Retreat", "Return", and other appropriate that would allow you to command him to pursue fleeing enemies, return to your side, or to pull back and regroup with another allied unit.

I think the pad could also make an interesting use as a "auto navigation" tool. You might draw in a course you want your ship to follow, and then perhaps you might control some kind of rotating gun on your ship or something, and while the ship follows the course you drew, you use the analogue sticks to fire at targets on the way, rotating around without straying from course.

I think something like this would be quite an interesting feature for Star Fox, and really give you a leadership position over your team.

How about the rest of you? Any interesting thoughts as to how the gamepad could add some features to a game?
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 3
#2shoggothsnackPosted 9/18/2013 5:50:28 PM
It could be used for a mini-map or selecting special abilities in GTAV.
#3_Sovereign_Posted 9/18/2013 6:21:37 PM
Personally, it serving as a real-time map and inventory work perfect for me. For games that don't use/have need of those though, Rayman and TW101 use it exceptionally well. I do like your idea though Cran, very imaginative.
---
"Microsoft demands simultaneous multiplatform releases" - Type that into your search bar and you'll see why you should buy Rayman on Wii U, not ports.
#4Jinzo 111887Posted 9/18/2013 6:24:01 PM
The gamepad would be useful for playing (3)DS games on a bigger screen. The problem is that Nintendo locked the save files for those 3DS games to the system and digital games can't be carried over. Maybe they will fix this and create a way to play DS and 3DS games using a Wii U's game pad as the controller.
---
You got to be careful not to become what you're trying to defeat, otherwise who will care if you succeed? - Viewtiful Joe
#5segagamerPosted 9/18/2013 6:29:08 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
The gamepad would be useful for playing (3)DS games on a bigger screen. The problem is that Nintendo locked the save files for those 3DS games to the system and digital games can't be carried over. Maybe they will fix this and create a way to play DS and 3DS games using a Wii U's game pad as the controller.

This, but some games like sonic rush use both screens for gameplay, so there would needs to be a solution.
#6userfrigginamePosted 9/18/2013 6:35:09 PM
For games like Final Fantasy Tactics, the blockyish, grid environment could be on the gamepad, and that'd be where you'd make all ur tactics decisions, while the TV would have a more stylized or realistic representation of the field, and the actions taken.
#7imameliaPosted 9/18/2013 6:53:32 PM
It seems like most things that the DS and 3DS did with their bottom screens the Wii U could do with the GamePad. The vibe abilities in Super Princess Peach, the Model FX shot editor in Mega Man ZX, the sticker inventory in Paper Mario: Sticker Star, the mini-map and item box in New Super Mario Bros. 1 and 2, and of course, the touchscreen (and gyroscope) controls in the later Mario & Luigi games (not just the giant battles; there were also Bowser's special attacks and probably others)...I see no reason why the Wii U couldn't do all of those just as well or better.

Beyond that, it would make a very nice inventory or map screen, which I'm sure some games already use it for. An in-game options screen of some kind would also fit. I think it might also be good for tactical RPGs, moving every character with the touchscreen (as in Fire Emblem: Awakening). There is also the Mario & Luigi: Dream Team mechanic of doing something on the touchscreen to affect the game on the main screen. Heck, you could even do that during battle...remember the Art Attack in Paper Mario 2? It could also be used to draw symbols and whatnot during gameplay (wasn't there a DS game that did exactly that? Lost Magic?), and perhaps some games could switch between the main screen and the GamePad for some purpose? It could also be used as a keyboard. That's obvious enough for password input in the startup screen, but if you put it in a game like Rudra no Hihou or something... There are probably other keyboard-like things that I'm drawing a blank on, too. And expanding upon the Mega Man ZX idea and what the TC said, it would be very good for plotting lines (or other shapes) as well.
#8TransdudePosted 9/18/2013 6:59:09 PM
I think it would be cool to have the touch screen be a complete RTS game while the rest of the controller is used for something like an FPS, TPS, hack and slash, etc. And, have this all happening in real time.
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#9huckbeinePosted 9/18/2013 7:00:45 PM
Papers Please Wii U port, with the game pad as the passport thing.
#10star_guy_100Posted 9/18/2013 7:03:05 PM
i think it would work amazingly well with fatal frame. the gamepad could be like the camera obscura. it would actually be the gamepad being used to emerse you in a game, to make it a more unique experience then it would be with a normal controller. im hopeful nintendo does this, but im more expect them to not do anything with the series, and even if they do not bring it to NA anyway. but it seems like fatal frame and the gamepad together is a natural fit