Why do some people call Super Mario 64 better than Super Mario Galaxy?

#181Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 6:07:47 PM
Rocky2418 posted...
Siara_Sedai posted...
You made some really great points, which is why it's sad when you said this:
Again, everyone: Feel free to express your opinions - just leave out the exaggerations. It only weakens the credibility of the view.

...which kind of destroyed the rapport you just built.

:(

I tried re-reading that one sentiment of mine that you didn't care for, a few times. And I truly have no clue why you took issue with it; why you thought it ruined anything. I was encouraging everyone to express their opinions - even if not the same as mine - just also to be careful not to exaggerate the truth when trying to make points.

You had said that getting every star in Mario 64 - as well as accomplishing those other early Mario game challenges - was impressive, while both Galaxy 1 and 2 were so easy that getting every star in them was no big deal. That was a gross exaggeration, one that I felt should be addressed. You say you forgot about some of the Galaxy 2 stuff. Fine, I certainly understand that. Nevertheless, whether intentional or not, your statements did indeed exaggerate the facts. If I was making pretty hard-hitting statements, and then someone pointed out where I included errant information, I would withdraw the errant info. Period. I wouldn't withdraw it but then also speak disparagingly about the factual statements that pointed out my mistakes.

What I said was quite fair. Anonymous online discussions are unfortunately packed with errant blanket statements, with people primarily concerned with winning the argument, at the expense of representing things accurately, if it comes to that. I certainly wasn't aiming that statement at just you - rather, at anyone who takes liberties with the truth (intentionally) or is careless with the truth (unintentionally). The statement was not in poor taste.

By the way, Galaxy 1 also has a good number of legitimately challenging levels - one that comes to mind is the Lava Spire Daredevil Run. If you don't like the game, that's perfectly fine. But remembering the the few super hard levels of SMB or SMW, and then forgetting the few super hard levels of Galaxy 1 and 2 isn't really fair.

Yeah, Galaxy 2's comets are brutal.
---
Batman: Arkham City is the best game of all time.
#182Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 8:33:43 PM
Tribe Fan posted...
To be honest, Super Mario 64 ushered in a dark age of gaming for me. I understood why people liked it - there was something fun about running around freely in an open 3D environment. But for me, if felt very experimental. The only levels I ever got any enjoyment out of were the Bowser stages. They actually felt like traditional platforming. There was a point A and a point B with tricky obstacles in between. All the other levels required way too much work.

Say what you will, but I prefer more mindless action games that you can pop in, pound through a few stages, and then put aside. Galaxy 2 hit that elusive sweet spot of just enough exploration to keep the stages fresh, but not too much wandering around to put the player to sleep.

This might not be the politically correct thing to say, but I prefer platforming games that ease up on the critical thinking aspects and focus instead on tricky obstacles that require timing and slick moves. I don't want to have to worry if I hit all the switches, lowered the water to the right level, or found the right key. Ugh, that's so boring to me and kills replay value.

Don't get me wrong, these games do have their place - I'm an avid RPG and Zelda fan. But keep it out of Mario games.

Mario 64 felt like more of an adventure game than a platformer.
---
#183TrueKirbyPosted 9/22/2013 10:19:58 AM
Hey Super Mario Galaxy you're cool and all, and imma let you finish, but SM64 is the best Mario game of all time.
---
Fission Mailed
#184StarmanJuniorPosted 9/22/2013 10:22:28 AM
TrueKirby posted...
Hey Super Mario Galaxy you're cool and all, and imma let you finish, but SM64 is the best Mario game of all time.

Haa...got the reference.
---
Inside the mailbox was nothing. Nothing after nothing came pouring out.
#185sonicnewboyPosted 9/22/2013 10:44:49 AM
I never played Galaxy. But 64 was such a great game. I used to play it with my brother in the mornings before going to school. And I was a kid.

I feel that games nowadays don't leave the same impression on me as they did then. Like Pokemon Black -- I used to get so into the Pokemon worlds, but this one was meh. I wonder if that will happen with Mario Galaxy.
#186Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 10:50:31 AM
sonicnewboy posted...
I never played Galaxy. But 64 was such a great game. I used to play it with my brother in the mornings before going to school. And I was a kid.

I feel that games nowadays don't leave the same impression on me as they did then. Like Pokemon Black -- I used to get so into the Pokemon worlds, but this one was meh. I wonder if that will happen with Mario Galaxy.

Kids are impressed easier
---
#187ZeusPosted 9/22/2013 10:56:57 AM
Because SMG was a mediocre re-tread of SM64. It didn't bring nearly as much variety to the table, the hub was nowhere near as interesting for its stupid scifi angle, and the levels felt nowhere near as cool or unique as SM64. If you played SM64 first, which most gamers have, SMG is nothing special. Honestly, it's even a little boring at times.
---
(\/)(\/)|-|
#188ZeusPosted 9/22/2013 11:02:09 AM
manmouse posted...
the problem with being "revolutionary" and influential is that, as illuminoius mentioned, it's not an indicator of quality.

for example, this album laid the groundwork for post punk and really influenced countless musicians:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Ytde6tmkQ
but compared to later post punk, it was simply outdone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pr6SxJb-Dw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggP5YDziMSY

or, here's an early shoegaze song that was much more revolutionary at its time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EgB__YratE
and here's a shoegaze song from 6 years later by a band that perfected the genre that already existed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft56il9bGMk

not to disparage the earlier influential works at all. they're groundbreaking and deserve immense credit for what they did, but oftentimes the bands who picked up the influence later usually ended up making more fleshed out and deeper works with that influence and their songs are (at least in my opinion) more enjoyable.

Punk is garbage regardless so that's a terrible indicator of anything. That's like asking us to listen to hip hop...
---
(\/)(\/)|-|
#189ZeusPosted 9/22/2013 11:10:06 AM
Weltall548 posted...
It has less levels, smaller levels, worse graphics, worse controls, worse music, worse boss, fights worse power ups, and very few obstacles. It's barely a platformer.
People call galaxy more linear. Only it's not really that much more linear. You go to locations, get stars, unlock more locations. In those locations, you do missions and find secret stars. The biggest difference is that mario 64 has 15 locations, galaxy has about 40

Except that SM64's music was better, the locations offered more thought and imagination and exploration, the locations themselves referenced classic Mario, the bosses were most visually interesting and more in-theme with the Mario continuity, etc. The fact that SMG had more levels is meaningless considering that the levels themselves had less going for them and, to be blunt about it, probably were nowhere near as big once you factor in the total usable area.

Honestly, I don't remember SMG's power-ups being any good. The two I recall off the top of my head were the meh bumblebee outfit and the annoying to control spring outfit, neither of which was even as fun or cool as riding on a koopa shell.
---
(\/)(\/)|-|
#190Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:38:48 AM
Zeus posted...
Because SMG was a mediocre re-tread of SM64. It didn't bring nearly as much variety to the table, the hub was nowhere near as interesting for its stupid scifi angle, and the levels felt nowhere near as cool or unique as SM64. If you played SM64 first, which most gamers have, SMG is nothing special. Honestly, it's even a little boring at times.

How are Galaxy's levels less unique? 64's levels are just generic level themes (Ice area, fire area, cave, desert, clouds, water levels, etc.)
---