Why do some people call Super Mario 64 better than Super Mario Galaxy?

#191Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:41:43 AM
Zeus posted...
Weltall548 posted...
It has less levels, smaller levels, worse graphics, worse controls, worse music, worse boss, fights worse power ups, and very few obstacles. It's barely a platformer.
People call galaxy more linear. Only it's not really that much more linear. You go to locations, get stars, unlock more locations. In those locations, you do missions and find secret stars. The biggest difference is that mario 64 has 15 locations, galaxy has about 40

Honestly, I don't remember SMG's power-ups being any good. The two I recall off the top of my head were the meh bumblebee outfit and the annoying to control spring outfit, neither of which was even as fun or cool as riding on a koopa shell.

You're forgetting fire mario, ice mario, cloud mario, rock mario, spin drill, rainbow mario, the yoshi powerups, and boo mario. SM64 does not have better powerups.
---
Batman: Arkham City is the best game of all time.
#192toadfan64Posted 9/22/2013 11:45:03 AM
SM64 is still my favorite Mario game. SMG is also in my top 15 games too. I love both, but SM64 is better for my in almost every way. Also

Controls in SM64 >> Controls in SMG

That's because I hate and I mean f****** hate using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. I will say that SMG has better camera views though. Controls in SM64 aren't that good and I'll admit it, but at least I don't have to shake my damn hand and all that s***. I just wanted to pick up the Classic Controller for SMG and play, but no I couldn't. Then I wanted to hold the Wii remote sideways, nope. Have to play with my least favorite controls ever.
---
Brawl FC - 5412-9555-6314
Also known as Toadfan64
#193Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:49:18 AM
toadfan64 posted...
SM64 is still my favorite Mario game. SMG is also in my top 15 games too. I love both, but SM64 is better for my in almost every way. Also

Controls in SM64 >> Controls in SMG

That's because I hate and I mean f****** hate using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. I will say that SMG has better camera views though. Controls in SM64 aren't that good and I'll admit it, but at least I don't have to shake my damn hand and all that s***. I just wanted to pick up the Classic Controller for SMG and play, but no I couldn't. Then I wanted to hold the Wii remote sideways, nope. Have to play with my least favorite controls ever.

The controls in both games are awkward imo.
---
#194evosthunderPosted 9/22/2013 11:49:18 AM
It's fine to prefer one to the other, but to say blatant lies like "64 has better controls and camera angles"...
---
-I post on other sites, too. Don't think that's how I spend all of my time.
-Deviant. Poster. N****. Gamer. Rustler. EvosthunderMkII.
#195Weltall548(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:50:10 AM
evosthunder posted...
It's fine to prefer one to the other, but to say blatant lies like "64 has better controls and camera angles"...

Or that it looks better.
---
#196toadfan64Posted 9/22/2013 11:52:05 AM
evosthunder posted...

Controls are better in 64 IMO. Camera angles are way better in SMG though.
---
Brawl FC - 5412-9555-6314
Also known as Toadfan64
#197DontMindIfIDoPosted 9/22/2013 12:01:34 PM
I love Mario 64 mainly for nostalgia. I played it recently and struggled with the controls. It hasn't aged well at all. Galaxy is a better game overall.

But it does have a lot more exploration in comparison to Galaxy. That's probably what people like more about it. If Galaxy had more expanded exploration and was less linear, people would like it better.
#198StopthinkPosted 9/22/2013 12:05:56 PM
The controls in Galaxy were garbage. SM64 was much more enjoyable to control. The HUB in Galaxy was also garbage and uninteresting. The castle was more interesting to explore even if there wasn't much in it. A lot of Galaxy's levels were very uninteresting and I found myself just blowing through them just to proceed.