So if the next metroid...

#11Shiggy_Miyamoto(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 11:28:07 PM
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
Shiggy_Miyamoto posted...
Alright I'm gonna elaborate here. So we all know other m killed samus' character. So what if nintendo tried to make up for that by saying its not like we killed samus' character, she was always like that. The actual cool guy was the suit and samus just goes with it.

1. That would completely ruin Samus' back story, in which she was trained to use the Power Suit. If the suit is doing all the work, Samus would become a pointless body controlling a sentient vehicle. Anyone would be able to pilot the suit and there would be no point in Samus being there, any random guy off the street could jump in it and get the same work done with no effort.

2. If the suit is sentient and had a mind of it's own, we'd have to put up with some bull**** voice talking to whoever is wearing the suit, if anyone even needs to be in the suit at all since it has a mind of it's own (it would effectively be a living robot).

3. Nintendo saying "it's not like we killed Samus' character" is shifting the blame. They let Team Ninja destroy 2+ decades of Metroid back story. It's Nintendo's fault and no one would support such a new Metroid game if they wont take responsibility. The responsible thing to do is retcon Other M out of the series continuity, resume the story they've been doing since after Fusion and don't do any stupid story bits about the suit doing all the work for a female character that is supposed to be empowering to female gamers.

4. Why would an inorganic suit be a "cool GUY" when suits don't have genders?

First I'm not going to get into how it would be possible I'm just asking how would you feel if it did.
second Sakamoto killed the metroid backstory as he wrote the plot for other m
third "supposed to be empowering to female gamers" Go away with your feminism. Do you really think samus was made a woman in the first place for that purpose? I don't care who she empowers but the fact that your pulling that makes me sick.
---
Yeah I made Mario. You might have heard of it.
#12Xenesis XenonPosted 9/19/2013 11:28:36 PM
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
3. Nintendo saying "it's not like we killed Samus' character" is shifting the blame. They let Team Ninja destroy 2+ decades of Metroid back story. It's Nintendo's fault and no one would support such a new Metroid game if they wont take responsibility. The responsible thing to do is retcon Other M out of the series continuity, resume the story they've been doing since Fusion and don't do any stupid story bits about the suit doing all the work for a female character that is supposed to be empowering to female gamers.

Nah, Team Ninja is only responsible for the mediocre gameplay of M:OM. All the plot elements fall squarely at the feet of Sakamoto.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#13philamikePosted 9/20/2013 12:03:53 AM
showed that samus's suit had a mind of its own and was doing all the work in all the games and samus was just along for the ride, how would you feel? In the end the bad*** you admired through all those games is still bad*** and samus was always emotional and lame.

Also it was the suit that did that wave at the end of prime two.

And also the suit is named metroid and samus is its girlfriend.

How would I feel if they made an action-platforming-adventure where you explore an alien world, and the whole time you are actually controlling the space suit, not the person inside?

I'd feel like they ripped off The Fall's gimmick.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/189665092/the-fall-dark-story-driven-exploration-in-an-alien
---
You don't have time to ponder such questions, as Bruce Willis has just grabbed a jet plane.
#14Maxx_the_SlashPosted 9/20/2013 11:20:06 AM
First I'm not going to get into how it would be possible I'm just asking how would you feel if it did.
second Sakamoto killed the metroid backstory as he wrote the plot for other m
third "supposed to be empowering to female gamers" Go away with your feminism. Do you really think samus was made a woman in the first place for that purpose? I don't care who she empowers but the fact that your pulling that makes me sick.

That might not have been Nintendo's intention with Samus, but that's what happened anyway. Samus was the first playable female character in gaming.

Pssst: The 1950's are over. Time to move on.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 103/Sirius 206
AC:NL/3DS: 3222-5637-7984 (Name: Josh) | WiiU: Maxx_the_Slash | XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash
#15darkjedilinkPosted 9/20/2013 11:29:19 AM
Transdude posted...
Alright I'm gonna elaborate here. So we all know other m killed samus' character. So what if nintendo tried to make up for that by saying its not like we killed samus' character, she was always like that. The actual cool guy was the suit and samus just goes with it.

I think it would make more sense if they said that when the Metroid super powered her suit in Super Metroid, it did something to her psychology as well as a side effect.

I haven't played any Metroid games other than the original and Super, so I'm try to pick up the pieces of what people say happened.

If Fusion didn't exist (and thereby render almost every controversial part of Other M impossible in and of itself), you may have been on to something.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#16GradyHooverPosted 9/20/2013 11:34:35 AM
A person who has emotions and vulnerabilities is not remotely lame or weak.

Especially when that person still kills things by the millions.

I wish people could understand that.

Just because you always imagined the person inside the suit who you never heard talking to be a 100% hardass that was dead on the inside doesn't mean you were right. Sorry - that's on you for making assumptions.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#17GradyHooverPosted 9/20/2013 11:35:16 AM
darkjedilink posted...

If Fusion didn't exist (and thereby render almost every controversial part of Other M impossible in and of itself), you may have been on to something.

There's nothing that Fusion denies or renders impossible.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#18darkjedilinkPosted 9/20/2013 11:42:47 AM
GradyHoover posted...
darkjedilink posted...

Fusion shows that the suit doesn't need Samus' concentration to be physical. Half of Other M's major plot points prove otherwise.

Which one is it? Can the suit exist while Samus is unconscious, thereby needing to be surgically removed from her body to heal her, or does it mysteriously disappear at the mere sight of an enemy she's killed five times already or when being shot in the back by a PISTOL?

If it's the latter, Fusion can't have happened at all. If it's the former, Other M wouldn't have killed Samus as a character.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#19darkjedilinkPosted 9/20/2013 11:46:33 AM
GradyHoover posted...
A person who has emotions and vulnerabilities is not remotely lame or weak.

Especially when that person still kills things by the millions.

I wish people could understand that.

Just because you always imagined the person inside the suit who you never heard talking to be a 100% hardass that was dead on the inside doesn't mean you were right. Sorry - that's on you for making assumptions.

Except this post is wrong in every assumption it makes, that in none of the previous games is Samus showing any emotion, that the emotions shown in Other M are appropriate, that Samus isn't made lame or weak in the game, or that we're the ones making assumptions.

Samus has shown us emotions in multiple games, with nobody freaking out. Samus was NOT rendered completely useless AND TURNED INTO A SIX-YEAR-OLD GIRL ON-SCREEN at the sight of an enemy she killed numerous times in any other game (thereby proving that she was rendered lame and weak).

And in Other M, she doesn't kill ANYTHING that actually has any effect on the plot. As a matter of fact, NOTHING she does AT ALL has any effect on the plot, period. For all intents and purposes, she is completely useless.
---
#20GradyHooverPosted 9/20/2013 11:48:45 AM
darkjedilink posted...
GradyHoover posted...
darkjedilink posted...

Fusion shows that the suit doesn't need Samus' concentration to be physical. Half of Other M's major plot points prove otherwise.

Which one is it? Can the suit exist while Samus is unconscious, thereby needing to be surgically removed from her body to heal her, or does it mysteriously disappear at the mere sight of an enemy she's killed five times already or when being shot in the back by a PISTOL?

If it's the latter, Fusion can't have happened at all. If it's the former, Other M wouldn't have killed Samus as a character.

You have no idea how much time passes between Other M and Fusion, or how the suit changed during said time. You also have no idea how the X infection affected the suit's structure. You don't even know why the suit vanished in Other M, because it's often been shown to stay on her body regardless of "concentration" (and when Adam shoots her, we don't even see the suit vanish - it's just off when she wakes up. Did he take it off? I always figured he did).
---