Do people only care about Mario Kart and Smash Bros anymore?

#1VidgmchtrPosted 9/20/2013 12:43:59 AM
Discuss.

Having posted here for awhile, it feels as if many people simply won't care about the Wii U until these two games get to the shelves.

I have 4 disc titles for my Wii U as of now, Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Game & Wario, and Pikmin 3. I loved each one, despite two of them being minigame collections.

No doubt I will get the next Mario Kart, as it will once again have me cursing at my television screen thanks to the rubberband AI and constant barrage of blue shells, given out to the last place racer like candy.

After being disappointed with Brawl (no we will not have another Melee vs. Brawl argument here), I'm on the fence about getting the next one, and the Mega Man fans have screamed in my ear for long enough. I may get it simply to have it for when I have company, but I so rarely have company and enjoy playing video games alone. I play video games to get away from people, not to get closer to them.

I want to return to the idea of each Mario game coming out now simply being a rehash/safe title. Isn't that essentially what Smash and Kart are? They throw new things into the mix but are essentially the same game, just like New Super Mario Bros.

But, the people will surely agree that they are, except GOOD. The people who're getting tired of more of the same for NSMB/Mario 3D Land/World are still perfectly happy with more of the same for Smash and Kart.

...I don't get it. : |

Should I just be like "ah, it's just GameFAQs being GameFAQs" here?
#2TalentedMPosted 9/20/2013 1:18:58 AM
Sequals are now rehashes apparently. Though the whole point of a sequal is to take the base of something and make it again with added features. Kinda the whole point.

"Do people only care about MK and SSB anymore?"

My answer, no. I mean, I am sure some people only care about them, but "people" probably not. It is a blanket statement really, not everyone is the same.

Me for instance, I am waiting mostly for Bayonetta 2, it was one of the main reasons I got the console at launch and it continues to be a huge point for me to support the system. In the while I have 12 physical titles, 3 Digital titles and a bunch of VC from my Wii and Wii U and plan on getting all the major titles this year from Nintendo and 3rd parties.

I feel like a lot of owners see more than just MK and SSB, but those are some good attention getters and are usually only brought up when someone wants to talk about how the system is doing and when we will get the most sales of the console, otherwise they are usually just held as really great games and ones to wait for by a lot of players.

I want the new SSB because I want to get more competitive with it and I am hoping they refine it so it works better in tourney settings without having to just be modded to hell and back. The new MK I will play with friends and have a lot of fun with as usual.

I think the casual market or the casual Nintendo fans who only play those titles are waiting for it more than those who are gamers and plan on playing a lot of what both Nintendo and 3rd parties have to offer and that the "people" you are seeing don't generally care about anything but those titles.
---
I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing
#3The_Shadow_LinkPosted 9/20/2013 3:47:52 AM
They are rehashes. They only really get away with it because those games come once a Generation instead of once a year like other games that get the accusation of Rehash thrown at them.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#4Neo_HeartlessPosted 9/20/2013 4:00:48 AM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
They are rehashes. They only really get away with it because those games come once a Generation instead of once a year like other games that get the accusation of Rehash thrown at them.

I just want to know when sequels were suddenly labeled as rehashes. I mean, lets take the Harry Potter books for example. Each one is its own story. They have the same characters though, the same locations with some new ones, and the magic mechanic doesn't really change. However if you tried to tell anyone that, say, Goblet of Fire was a rehash of The Philosipher's Stone you'd be laughed out of whatever play you were at, because you're wrong.

So then why are games suddenly rehashes when a new version comes out? Like the above scenario, Mario has the same characters, similar mechanics and, well, in the case of Mario a very samey plot, but the location, the level layout, is always different.

So are we really arguing that a its plot only that determines if something is a rehash? Because that's what the whole idiotic argument sounds like.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#5The_Shadow_LinkPosted 9/20/2013 4:10:35 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...

I just want to know when sequels were suddenly labeled as rehashes. I mean, lets take the Harry Potter books for example. Each one is its own story. They have the same characters though, the same locations with some new ones, and the magic mechanic doesn't really change. However if you tried to tell anyone that, say, Goblet of Fire was a rehash of The Philosipher's Stone you'd be laughed out of whatever play you were at, because you're wrong.

So then why are games suddenly rehashes when a new version comes out? Like the above scenario, Mario has the same characters, similar mechanics and, well, in the case of Mario a very samey plot, but the location, the level layout, is always different.

So are we really arguing that a its plot only that determines if something is a rehash? Because that's what the whole idiotic argument sounds like.

Not even a difference on plot saves you from being called a rehash. Just look at all those topics calling GTA V a GTA IV rehash. If the games look very similar to the last ones, that's enough to get it called a Rehash. And With Nintendo that happens a lot considering how Sequel Heavy their successful games are. Stuff like New Super Mario Bros have further emphasised these complaints.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#6Neo_HeartlessPosted 9/20/2013 4:18:32 AM

Not even a difference on plot saves you from being called a rehash. Just look at all those topics calling GTA V a GTA IV rehash. If the games look very similar to the last ones, that's enough to get it called a Rehash. And With Nintendo that happens a lot considering how Sequel Heavy their successful games are. Stuff like New Super Mario Bros have further emphasised these complaints.

I get what you are saying, but it seems like this is only really started with gaming, and recently too. It's not something you see often in movies or music for example.

Isn't it ironic... I'm honestly starting to believe that the worst thing about gaming are the fans.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#7FayeLadyPosted 9/20/2013 4:30:08 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...

2D Mario has been more or less the same for the last decade across 4 games and just as many platforms. The small differences between the games are on par with what you would expect from DLC today or level editors of days past. Thats why that sub genre is often called a rehash.

Its also not an experience that hangs itself on story, so even changing that would not accomplish much
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#8NiftyManZPosted 9/20/2013 4:39:47 AM
I want the games because I like those style if games. I don't care that there are others that are similar, I want the new ones.
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#9slymshadyPosted 9/20/2013 5:09:22 AM
Never on my radar. Play one Mario kart, you've played them all. Smash bros is just a button masher that people get hard over because it has Nintendo characters
#10CyDetrakDPosted 9/20/2013 6:08:57 AM(edited)
I enjoy those franchises and look forward to them finally being in HD. I'm sure it seems like there people that only care about those two games but it seems like Nintendo never brings them out until a little later in the console/handhelds release. I hate that blue shell with a passion and wish they would remove it but i'm sure there would be hell to raise if that was the case.
---
Steam, Xbox 360, Ps3, WiiU, Origin, Battlenet Username = CyDetrakD (all across the board)