Do people only care about Mario Kart and Smash Bros anymore?

#11pokemonfreak97Posted 9/20/2013 6:22:23 AM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
They are rehashes. They only really get away with it because those games come once a Generation instead of once a year like other games that get the accusation of Rehash thrown at them.

See, that word gets used too much. Every game that doesn't completely reinvent the formula for the genre is "just another rehash". The term "rehash" is a verb meaning "to work up old material in a new form" and a noun meaning the act of rehashing or something rehashed. So, for a game to be a rehash, it needs to bring literally NOTHING new to the table. Of the three Smash Bros. games (compared to the previous entry in the series, because that's where they'd get the old material to work up in a new form), SSB64 was the original and therefore not a rehash, Melee gave all characters four special attacks instead of three, and Brawl added the Final Smash (which is essentially a super-powered ability that requires a special item to use, if you haven't played Brawl). SSB4 hasn't shown what its big new thing will be yet, but that doesn't mean there won't be any.
---
Generation (pi)(i).
When you see this, raise e to the generation and add 1. Social experiment.
#12kdognumba1Posted 9/20/2013 6:40:27 AM
Personally, I was sold on Wii U when I saw Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

As for Mario Kart and Smash Bros, if you look at their designs, not many games play like them and the ones that do aren't anywhere near as refined. I do get you point that there are other good quality games on the system and that are coming to the system however if everybody flagged these 2 games in specific as rehashes, with so little out there playing like either game, that would really narrow down what all people would play if they held evey game to those standards.

As for the people wanting these games before they get the system, there's a lot of people who won't buy a system till the games they want are out. For these 2 games in specific, these are 2 series's that Nintendo really puts forth their best every time. For many people, that's what they want before they buy a system.

I do have 1 question about all of this though TC, if you liked Melee but didn't like Brawl, doesn't that stop it from being a rehash? I mean, most people feel that Melee and Brawl are very different, which is why so many complaned about Brawl.
---
http://backloggery.com/kdog254 http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/Ouya/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#13Vidgmchtr(Topic Creator)Posted 9/20/2013 10:00:42 PM
kdognumba1 posted...
I do have 1 question about all of this though TC, if you liked Melee but didn't like Brawl, doesn't that stop it from being a rehash? I mean, most people feel that Melee and Brawl are very different, which is why so many complaned about Brawl.

I hated Brawl not because it was a "rehash", but simply because I disliked the fact that one playthrough of the story mode allowed the player to unlock just about all of the game's main content, stages, and just about all the characters.

Also, being a nerd for orchestral music, I was really disappointed with Brawl's music. Brawl may have had more music in general, but Melee had more ORCHESTRATED music. The only orchestrated music for Brawl I can think of was Nobuo Uematsu's uber-dramatic opening theme.

Also, the exponential increase in characters and stages made me think Sakurai was going with quantity over quality. I didn't care much for any of the new stages, but I didn't like either the amount of Melee stages they brought back. 2 or 3? Okay. 7 or 8? That's pushing it.

---------

I am also thinking that people are simply forgetting what the previous Mario side-scrollers were like.

Super Mario Bros. was the very original game. Super Mario Bros. 2 didn't really add a whole lot. They added poison mushrooms as a power-up, the graphics were very slightly different, the story was exactly the same, but the level layout was just a LOT harder.

In a sense, Super Mario Bros. 2 is a rehash, going by the GameFAQs user dictionary definition.

(And yes I'm obviously referring to the REAL Super Mario Bros. 2, not the game Americans and Europeans got, which was also a great game.)

Super Mario Bros. 3 did bring new stuff to the table, a world map, new bosses, new enemies, etc. Similar story. We probably wouldn't call this a rehash though, just because it FEELS different.

Super Mario World, my most favorite of the original side-scrollers, while it got a graphical upgrade, outside of Yoshi and some new power-ups, they didn't bring anything new to the table either. There's a big difference in graphics (8-bit to 16-bit), story is yet again the same, but new locales. We SHOULD call this a rehash! But we probably won't, because yet again, it FEELS different.

I'm guessing that's why we're calling New Super Mario Bros. U a rehash, because it doesn't feel different from New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The graphics didn't get the biggest of boosts (despite being in HD), and there isn't a whole lot new to offer. All of these games have played the same way, though. Go to the right (usually), hit the goal, or beat the boss. That's it.
#14EarthLord_CJPosted 9/20/2013 11:12:04 PM
The term 'rehash', like many buzz-words that gamers seem to use a ridiculous amount, seems be be far less defined than what they want to believe.

'Rehash' seems to mean something different every time that it's uttered. The only constant is that the haters of a franchise love to say it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#15stevieb1234567Posted 9/21/2013 8:19:41 AM
They must cause that's all they ever have to rely on....if a new mario cart smash bros zelda ain't coming out ur screwed....
---
Posted using GameFlux
#16gnomelord255Posted 9/21/2013 8:45:10 AM
You people are throwing the word "rehash" around like it's a bad thing. You do know most Nintendo fans really just want more of the same because the core gameplay works? It's the same reason why Call of Duty is so popular.

It's the same reason why people keep snatching up Grand Theft Auto and Elder Scrolls and Doom and.. I can go on with tons of other games that are "rehashes" yet people clamor for them and snatch them up at first sight.

If you want some perspective on how you people react to Nintendo abusing it's IPs: Blizzard's World of Warcraft expansions are all "rehashes" according to you. New story? New environments? Gameplay largely unchanged? "Rehash!"

Ridiculous.
#17SirerdrickPosted 9/21/2013 2:50:37 PM
Mario Kart on DS was the pinnacle of the series.
Never understood Smash Bros. since the original on N64.
#18DTY3Posted 9/21/2013 2:53:35 PM
slymshady posted...
Never on my radar. Play one Mario kart, you've played them all. Smash bros is just a button masher that people get hard over because it has Nintendo characters

Again, Smash Bros is almost literally the ONLY fighter where button mashing does NOT work.

Most people who call it a button masher either havent played it, or don't even know what button mashing is.

You can button mash in MvC and get result. Not in any Smash Bros.
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.
#19FenderMasterPosted 9/21/2013 3:01:53 PM
DTY3 posted...
slymshady posted...
Never on my radar. Play one Mario kart, you've played them all. Smash bros is just a button masher that people get hard over because it has Nintendo characters

Again, Smash Bros is almost literally the ONLY fighter where button mashing does NOT work.

Most people who call it a button masher either havent played it, or don't even know what button mashing is.

You can button mash in MvC and get result. Not in any Smash Bros.

You don't play many fighting games, do you?
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#20The13DoctorsPosted 9/21/2013 3:05:00 PM
Wii Party U
Game & Wario
Zombi U
SMTxFE

Out of all of the exclusives we know of these are the only ones I'm not uber hyped about and getting on Day One.

Take that as you will.
---
Platinum, Monolith, Atlus, Retro, Next Level Games | Sonic + [Mega Man?]
Good time to be a Nintendo Gamer :D