So is this console dying?

#51cavebear56Posted 9/24/2013 7:50:43 AM
No.

The drama queens and spinmeister trolls will tell you it is, but the Wii U isn't dying anymore than the PS4 or Neo.

Your reason is because you lack a broad taste in gaming TC? You see only one game that's interesting and well done?

I hope your taste in gaming isn't equivalent to your taste in food. Otherwise you're missing out on a lot of flavourable experiences.

As I've told other posters, broaden your tastes. Take chances and give games a try that you never even considered. You know, like you did when you were a child? Unless you were the child that would try something but always quit after the first week of softball or martial arts.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#52nickvd8Posted 9/24/2013 8:01:11 AM
No, I've already seen a lot of new users that bought the WWHD bundle after the price drop. I'd say Nintendo is on their way to having a great holiday.
#53methosagainPosted 9/24/2013 9:15:05 AM
I don't think the Wii U is dying YET, its too early to make that call IMO, but I do think it as well as Nintendo in general are in danger. Much of the future of the Wii U and Nintendo consoles as an whole is really going to hinge on the next year, and how Nintendo positions itself against the PS4 and the XB1 and I really have questions on that front. Its one thing to say that Nintendo has the better quality games, that is purely subjective, but even within that subjective umbrella things aren't as clear as we would hope. Let us say that Mario Kart and Super Mario World 3D are straight AAA games and some of the highest rated ever, what does that really mean?

Nintendo having high quality games such as them simply aren't enough anymore, not the way the industry has evolved. The majority of gamers have simply moved past the core type of game Nintendo offers, and that is just the reality of the situation. We may be excited for these games, but we know that most of our counterparts are looking forward to COD, BF4, Halo, Titanfall, FF15, etc, games that may never see the light of day on the Wii U going forward. No matter how good a Wii U game is, if it is cast in the mold Nintendo is known for then they are going to write it off. Those games are meant for the core audience that Nintendo already has for the most part, they aren't going to draw in new users.

So Nintendo either has to expand its own direction which is doubtful considering its aversion to change, or it has to motivate others to give it the type of software it needs. Bayonetta 2 and the new X game are good examples of this strategy. But they are not enough. Another avenue Nintendo should be looking at is getting more niche Japanese devs like Nis and Atlus on board, their games are extactly the type of stuff that would be well suited for the Wii U and the type its demographic likes. I personally think a series like Disagea could do better on the Wii U than it does currently. But the ball is in Ninty's court to seek these companies.
---
Law of the universe states the strong shall survive and the weak fall by the way, I don't give a damn what idealistic plan is cooked up, nothing changes that
#54quickposterPosted 9/24/2013 10:06:53 AM
Revival125 posted...
At the end of the day, when did we as gamers forget that major consoles can fail?

Anyone remember the Virtual Boy? I bet at the time if internet forums had of existed as much then, people would be saying the same things they are now, then. No one can contemplate a games console made by a big company, fail. But it does happen.

And it can just as easily (if not moreso) happen with the others. But people ignore that. Forget the fact the internet proclaimed Vita would be this huge success. They still make these same claims targeting mainly Nintendo but has it ever occurred to anyone that one of the others might fail also?

Fact is Microsoft and Sony being after the exact same individual makes their days numbered as much as it does Nintendo. Gamefaqs and neogaf don't like to hear this fact but the fact is

MOST people will have only a PS4 or X1. Not both. As far as I'm concerned it will end with one doing abysmally.
#55mlahodikPosted 9/26/2013 12:14:24 PM
mikebrand83 posted...
BjornAgainst posted...
I think that person meant to say it was NOT selling as badly but left out the crucial"not". The numbers show the PS3 did sell better than the Wii U in the early years, the numbers were not good but they were better than Nintendo's.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_3

Actually chasing up the sources for that page, the PS3's official cumulative total sales after its first two quarters was 3.5 million:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html

Wii U's cumulative total sales for its first two quarters was 3.61 million:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1306.pdf

Mind you, the Wii U did have an atrocious second quarter of only 160k sold, while the PS3's worst quarter up to the end of FY 2011 (FY2007 Q1) was a much better 700k... But the Wii U's first quarter sales was something the PS3 hadn't managed to match until over a year after its release.

P.S.
We're all dying. Life is a terminal illness.

---
FC: 4081-6350-3674 ; NNID: Mahrii
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#56chaos_sage0265Posted 9/26/2013 12:55:13 PM
EastCoastKody posted...
if the PS4 launch titles.......and the PS3 drought are any indicator. Wii U will have better games for the next 2 years

The PS3 drought?

It just got Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and GTA V.

And still has these coming within the next two months.
CoD
BF4
rain
Beyond: Two Souls
Disgaea D2
Arkham Origins
AC4
Mirror of Fate HD
Xcom Expansion
Need for Speed
Watch Dogs
South Park: Stick of Truth
Gran Turismo 6
---
"We will be remembered for this. White Wall."
#57Infinity8378Posted 9/26/2013 2:23:21 PM
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Batman: Arkham Origins
Disney Infinity
Injustice: Gods Among Us
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
Sniper Elite V2
Skylanders Swap Force
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Trine 2: Director's Cut
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
ZombiU
#58true_gamer80Posted 9/26/2013 2:39:22 PM
bruno1983br posted...
Revival125 posted...
At the end of the day, when did we as gamers forget that major consoles can fail?

Anyone remember the Virtual Boy? I bet at the time if internet forums had of existed as much then, people would be saying the same things they are now, then. No one can contemplate a games console made by a big company, fail. But it does happen.

You must be 12 yo. The VB was never released outside Japan, it didn't get the status the Wii U has.

You can compare Wii U to the Dreamcast or the Saturn, but not the Virtual Boy. They are two completely different animals.

you must be 12 years old lol......The VB was indeed released outside of japan.....in fact my brother had one we bought at you know the hundreds or so stores that sold them around the continent.......

nothing like insulting someone before doing just a tid bit of research lmao...
---
Kool Keith-intergalactic leader of the halfsharkalligator halfman space men
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyS2y4vysIY