Will the gamepad age well?

#1oOo_SOX_oOoPosted 9/20/2013 10:53:26 AM
Age in a sense that the gamepad launched during the tablet craze we are going through right now. Dont get me wrong, Tablets are great but I recall netbooks being a popular device to, now they are dead. Will Tablets be dead in 5 years? Prolly not but will a new product come out that replaces the tablets? Likely.

Just a thought, in 5 years everything will be different. The drastic changes we saw last generation was crazy, back in 05-06 things like Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Tablets were all practically unkown and not as mainstream as they are now. It will be cool to see what the future holds, I guess we will see if the gamepad holds up or not.
---
NY JETS
R.I.P. ZYZZ
#2Nerreltron9000Posted 9/20/2013 10:58:14 AM
The gamepad is not a tablet, nor was it ever meant to be. It's not a part of the current trends.
#3NyyarkPosted 9/20/2013 10:59:59 AM
The Dreamcast controller did, not sure why the gamepad wouldn't. The NFC chip should help.
#4BkzIzuPosted 9/20/2013 11:00:44 AM
No, people will always consider it a gimmick.
Nintendo needs to learn not to force gimmicks and make it optional.
#5arvilinoPosted 9/20/2013 11:04:44 AM
The Gamepad is more a second screen than a tablet. Like the second screen of the DS or Game and Watch but with more game-centric features.
---
"The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time."
#6JackalPosted 9/20/2013 11:38:26 AM
If there next system doesn't use a new GP then BC could be a problem for Wii U games. Some say that they may let you use your current GPs with the new system but what if you never had a Wii U but decide that you want to play some of those games? Will Nintendo start selling GPs in the stores? I don't think so.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#7arvilinoPosted 9/20/2013 11:46:54 AM(edited)
Jackal posted...
If there next system doesn't use a new GP then BC could be a problem for Wii U games. Some say that they may let you use your current GPs with the new system but what if you never had a Wii U but decide that you want to play some of those games? Will Nintendo start selling GPs in the stores? I don't think so.

Actually since last year Nintendo mentioned they're going to sell Gamepads down the line(with one of the reasons being eventual 2 Gamepad support for the system) and I believe they already do sell Gamepads in Japan.

If the next console is backwards compatible and would support WiiU games, you'd be able to buy a Gamepad to play it. So BC wouldn't be a problem.
---
"The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time."