Why do everyone else's games drop in price so much faster than Nintendo's?

#1STN79Posted 9/21/2013 3:28:03 AM
I've noticed this probably ever since the PS1 era. When the games are new they're like 50 dollars or more. Then about six months after release they drop way down. Sometimes even into single digits. Like for example the current asking price for the big budget highly popular MGS 4 at Gamestop is 6.99! I mean how the hell is it that cheap when they wanted 60 bucks for it brand new? Sure the game is 5 years old now but they still want 17 dollars for Mario galaxy and it's 6 years old. Guess that means GTA V will be 20 bucks in a few months right?

Can anyone explain to me what's going on here?
---
"for us its about games, about the fun, about the entertainment value, and not about the tech. reggie fils-aime
#2GensokyoPosted 9/21/2013 3:32:50 AM
Because Nintendo games still sell at full price, even when they're old. Other games don't.
#3JackalPosted 9/21/2013 3:33:39 AM
Because Nintendo wants all the money. They know that they have a cult following and that you all will buy these games even if it means forgoing food. Why lower the prices? You all will follow them into the pits of hell to play Mario and Zelda and Pokemon. All the piper needs to do is play his flute and the mice will follow.

How else do you think they got all of that money? :)
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#4BeanBeanKingdomPosted 9/21/2013 3:40:26 AM
Jackal posted...
you all will buy these games even if it means forgoing food.

... This is exactly what I do. ._.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#5STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 3:42:34 AM
I thought Nintendo got all that money because their games are just of a higher quality and generally better made. You know like how they usually intentionally hold of releasing a game until it's as good as it possibly can be. Not saying all Sony games are just half assed and slapped together for quick cash but that's not far from the truth alot of times. I just don't get how these bazillion selling PS3 games can become cheap as dirt so quickly. Sure helps with building up my library though!
---
"for us its about games, about the fun, about the entertainment value, and not about the tech. reggie fils-aime
#6senelcoolidge_Posted 9/21/2013 3:44:22 AM
Jackal posted...
Because Nintendo wants all the money. They know that they have a cult following and that you all will buy these games even if it means forgoing food. Why lower the prices? You all will follow them into the pits of hell to play Mario and Zelda and Pokemon. All the piper needs to do is play his flute and the mice will follow.

How else do you think they got all of that money? :)

Being this poor. LOL
---
"sony is much better than nsmbu" - ninsony12
#7brolynickPosted 9/21/2013 3:46:39 AM
I think it's because people mainly buy Nintendo consoles to play first-party Nintendo games, so they will get the games no matter how much they cost.
---
Chris Jericho is better than God.
#8kdognumba1Posted 9/21/2013 3:55:41 AM(edited)
Depends on the game, how well it's selling, and the demand for it. I bought Steel Diver, Pilot Wings Resort, Metroid Other M, and Sin and Punishment Star Successor for $5 each. Many of the other Nintendo games I got were under $20.

Also, NSMB Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2 now have suggested retail prices of $30. NSMB Wii had drastically higher sales then MGS4 meaning its demand was/is higher and SMG2 came out in 2010.

Another thing to note is, in general, gamestops prices are not very good unless you're looking for specific niche games. Many times the condition of used games they price that low are pretty bad and generally they rarely have deals that are competitive with other retailers much less online retailers. This is because so many people rely on gamestop as their go to place for all things gaming, mostly because they absorbed most the competition a years ago. If your looking for good deals on Nintendo games I'd recommend amazon and watching other physical retailers deals closely. I've had a lot of luck with Kmart and Best Buy.
---
http://backloggery.com/kdog254 http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/Ouya/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#9ZiggletoothPosted 9/21/2013 4:06:47 AM
Somebody actually made an interesting observation.

But the reason is quite clear. Nintendo games have a monopoly on their consoles because of a lack of third party games (and Nintendo franchises being the main reason to get a Nintendo console) therefore there is not need to reduce cost.

If there was more third party support we should see a price drop, because although Nintendo get a cut from third parties they would prefer to sell their games because they get the entire proceeds. On the other hand more third party games means a lower price for their games but more cuts from those games and a greater console fanbase.
---
He feared that his home should appear to Gods and men.
Dreadful, dank and hated even by the Gods. Hades -Iliad 20.64-65
#10Fenrir-JuubiPosted 9/21/2013 4:35:08 AM
Money, boy. Nintendo wants more money.

Surprised?
---
"Now, struggle! Suffer! Kill! Show me! Dance around like the little Xbots you are! Your sad, wretched screams will open up the FIFTH CONSOLE WAR!"