Wii U Pro Controller or Wii Classic Controller?

#1x_BraveryPosted 9/21/2013 8:34:17 PM
Hi! So I'm still a Nintennoob and haven't bought a Wii - am planning on buying the Wii U Bundle next week.

I plan on exclusively using the Gamepad and a Nintendo Pro Controller (cause I'm going to slooooowly adjust to the whole movement thing) and was wondering a question that I can't seem to find a straight answer to.

I plan on buying the Wii U Pro controller cause I've heard good things about it, plus I found it used. However I've heard reports that this controller will NOT work on Wii games, is this true? I plan on buying games such as Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Xenoblade Chronicles. For games that are in Wii Mode should I buy the Wii Classic Controller - or the Wii Classic Pro Controller? Does either matter? I'm just looking for some decent controllers I can utilize for these games, cause I don't feel like shelling $40 for a brand new one. Thanks in advance!
---
Filia/Valentine main
#2Kromlech06Posted 9/21/2013 8:36:37 PM
It's true, a WiiU Pro will not work when the WiiU enters Wii mode, which is how it plays Wii games.

Likewise, the gamepad won't work in Wii mode either.

Definitely get a Classic Pro for Wii games like Xenoblade.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#3imameliaPosted 9/21/2013 8:54:12 PM
Doesn't Xenoblade require the nunchuck/remote combo for the motion controls, though? If not, yeah, definitely go with the Classic Controller Pro (I, at least, personally hate the nunchuck controller). The one problem with the Classic Controller is that not all that many games support it for one reason or another (usually because of motion controls), and some of the games that "support" it don't use sensible button mapping. If you try to play an NES Virtual Console game or Mega Man 9 and 10, for instance, with the Classic Controller, you will be forced to use A and B as primary and secondary buttons even though B and Y would make more sense, and you can't change that. Of course, as mentioned, you cannot use the Wii U Pro Controller in Wii mode, so my personal suggestion is to use the Classic Controller for any Wii games that support it in a reasonable manner.
#4Thunderbird8Posted 9/21/2013 9:50:23 PM
Xenoblade is playable with the Classic Controller. I've never even tried it with the Remote and Nunchuk combo.
#5SalogyPosted 9/21/2013 10:58:35 PM
Best Buy is clearancing out their white pro controllers. Price depends on the store and if they have them. I got my black one online for $35 shipped like a month ago (on sale) from them. Worth picking up, they seem to be patching older games with pro controller functionality now.

The Classic Controller only works with Wii games and not all of them. Mostly used with Wii's VC since the Wii U doesn't work with GameCube controllers. That's the only reason I got mine, because I needed it for VC. Otherwise, I think it is useless. Well at least it was cheap.
---
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs
#6x_Bravery(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 8:42:35 AM
The games I selected all had the option of using the said controller so that is the main reason why I'm all "OMIGAWD CONTROLLER PLS".

also, I have to have a Wii remote already to use the controller, don't I? Forgive my inept questions, just trying to make sure I don't come home and try to unbox my stuff only to realize I've been bamboozle'd. I'll try to swing by a Best Buy to grab a Pro Controller, I'm going to be getting one for free on Friday at Gamestop (B2G1 Coupon) so if possible, I'll have a White and Black Pro Controller, and then grab a wii remote and classic controller pro.
---
Filia/Valentine main
#7MechaKoopa5000Posted 9/23/2013 9:29:46 AM
Gamepad = all Wii U games
Wii U Pro = supported Wii U games

Wii remote = all Wii and supported Wii U games
Classic Controller (Pro) = supported Wii and supported Wii U games
---
SSB4 roster: http://i.imgur.com/ShGGT3a.jpg