Why is the most common comeback on this board "Go play (popular game)"?

#1ReachOutToTruthPosted 9/22/2013 6:55:24 AM
"Go play Call of Duty"

"Go play Grand Theft Auto"

I mean, most of the time they weren't even part of the conversation until they were used as an insult.

Sample Dialog:

Person A "Yeah, I'm not too sure I agree with how Nintendo is handling the concept of an "HD Re-release"."

Person B "Go back to your Call of Duty, troooooolllllllllll!"

Like, what does Call of Duty even have to do with the topic the first person brought up? And another thing, why are these popular games used as insults? Do people really feel superior for NOT liking something that's popular? Do they not realize they're doing the exact same thing that many of the "dudebro" stereotypes they claim to hate do all the time to Nintendo games?

It just seems silly to me to use popular games as an insult. They're not relevant most of the time to what's being discussed here and most of the time they're not even that bad.
---
It probably takes rocks and GA GONGs people with them!
#2Shadowbird_RHPosted 9/22/2013 6:59:17 AM
It's not an implication that the games are bad. Trolling is a means of entertainment for lowlifes. If someone's a gamer, not a lowlife troll, they should be entertaining themselves with video games, not by bothering random strangers on the internet. "Go play (popular game)" isn't an implication that the game is bad, it's an implication that the person is less of a gamer for entertaining themselves with trolling rather than gaming.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#3FenderMasterPosted 9/22/2013 6:59:25 AM
CoD
Generic military shooter
grey/brown shooter

It's usually some permutation on fps/CoD/Grey/Brown/immature (fps games being immature games only 12 year old boys play)

Usually some mention is made of Nintendo games being colourful too, implying that all Nintendo games are colourful (Zelda and Metroid can be quite grey/brown), or that games on rival formats aren't colourful (plays Sly Cooper 4).
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#4GEKGanonPosted 9/22/2013 7:00:06 AM
I think the idea in pointing someone to CoD, Madden, GTA, etc. is to make the implication that individual is too casual to have a valid opinion.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#5FayeLadyPosted 9/22/2013 7:00:29 AM
Its how some people handle criticism. "There is nothing wrong with the game, there is something wrong with you interpretation of it. I encourage you to play a widely enjoyed game you'll be sure to understand."
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#6robomagonPosted 9/22/2013 7:02:16 AM
GEKGanon posted...
I think the idea in pointing someone to CoD, Madden, GTA, etc. is to make the implication that individual is too casual to have a valid opinion.

Yea, Nintendo is WAY too hardcore for them.
#7NerdimusPrimePosted 9/22/2013 7:03:40 AM
ReachOutToTruth posted...
"Go play Call of Duty"

"Go play Grand Theft Auto"

I mean, most of the time they weren't even part of the conversation until they were used as an insult.

Sample Dialog:

Person A "Yeah, I'm not too sure I agree with how Nintendo is handling the concept of an "HD Re-release"."

Person B "Go back to your Call of Duty, troooooolllllllllll!"

Like, what does Call of Duty even have to do with the topic the first person brought up? And another thing, why are these popular games used as insults? Do people really feel superior for NOT liking something that's popular? Do they not realize they're doing the exact same thing that many of the "dudebro" stereotypes they claim to hate do all the time to Nintendo games?

It just seems silly to me to use popular games as an insult. They're not relevant most of the time to what's being discussed here and most of the time they're not even that bad.

can you point out an example please? the only one I see currently was referring to someone who posted a terrible GTA trolling topic, followed by a terrible Zelda topic. Calling someone a troll even when they are clearly trolling isn't productive to conversation so I do agree we can avoid the name calling. This board would be a much more civil place if you could mod someone for using the terms SonyPony, Xbot, Nintendrone, Xboner, Nintendyearold, etc... but apparently disparaging nicknames are not considered flaming by the moderators of this site.
---
Troll logic: say something utterly moronic and when someone takes the time to point out your stupidity, you win!
#8GEKGanonPosted 9/22/2013 7:19:36 AM
robomagon posted...
GEKGanon posted...

Yea, Nintendo is WAY too hardcore for them.

Maybe it is. A lot of people playing the annual CoD, Madden, Battlefield, etc. are very narrow-minded. Telling someone to "Go play CoD!" is seen as an insult because a large portion of the fanbase for those titles seem to be the lowest denominator in the gaming industry.
---
Steam Name: gekganon