Know what I would change about the Zelda series?

#1PUNCHOUT1116Posted 9/24/2013 12:47:38 AM
Not a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I (like many people I'm sure) have often thought about what kinda game the next Zelda should be, where the series should go, and what needs to be changed in the series.

However, I was just reading an article on ign where the editors discussed their favorite moments in the series, and it got me thinking about my own many, many moments.

Thats when I realized that its a little odd for me to want to see changes in a series that has provided me with some of my all time fondest gaming memories. If the games needed an overhaul so bad, then why do I look back so fondly on them?

I eventually came to the conclusion that I wouldnt change a thing. Why fix something that isn't broken? If the series keeps providing me with entertainment and fond memories, why would I want to tinker with that?

Well I don't anymore. I'm happy to let future Zelda games be whatever Nintendo wants them to be.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#2crowe_1Posted 9/24/2013 6:14:43 AM
Zelda has always been my favourite franchise since OoT in '98. Honestly, I've always thought that, for the most part, Zelda games change more things up per entry than the majority of franchises. With a couple of exceptions, of course. Most people just focus on the similarities and ignore the major differences IMO.
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1
#3darkjedilinkPosted 9/24/2013 6:43:50 AM
I really liked how, in Link's Awakening, you could steal items from the shopkeeper. I wish that would make a return.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#4Snow-DustPosted 9/24/2013 6:54:45 AM
honestly, I was thinking to rip on TC when I entered the topic until i found out TC is mature which is almost non-existent on gamefaq
#5XechsPosted 9/24/2013 7:17:28 AM
Consiering that the games that stuck to the formulae(structurally, story atmosphere) to the original or OOT have sold the best (loz, loz 2, alttp, OOt, TP, LA) and the games that strayed off a bit like oracles, ww, ss, minish cap, majora mask sold the least in franchise, I do think most people want the same old same old.

With that I think the franchise changed it up quite a bit post majora mask. TP was the only game after that felt oldschool. WW, SS, 4S, majora mask and any spin offs changed quite a bit for a different feel after. WW is one of my favs because it was so different to the previous powerhouse zelda games. I do think going back and making another safe zelda that sales 5-6 mil + would be the right way to go for the wiiu version. Then it has a chance to help out being a system seller.

But I think nintendo has done nice balance of keeping the old and some new twists in the last decade to keep things fresh as well. Some change is nice, doesn't have to be drastic changes.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#6adampeltzPosted 9/24/2013 7:23:17 AM
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
Not a thing.

Don't get me wrong, I (like many people I'm sure) have often thought about what kinda game the next Zelda should be, where the series should go, and what needs to be changed in the series.

However, I was just reading an article on ign where the editors discussed their favorite moments in the series, and it got me thinking about my own many, many moments.

Thats when I realized that its a little odd for me to want to see changes in a series that has provided me with some of my all time fondest gaming memories. If the games needed an overhaul so bad, then why do I look back so fondly on them?

I eventually came to the conclusion that I wouldnt change a thing. Why fix something that isn't broken? If the series keeps providing me with entertainment and fond memories, why would I want to tinker with that?

Well I don't anymore. I'm happy to let future Zelda games be whatever Nintendo wants them to be.

I love the series, and found Skyward Sword to be one of the most fun Zelda games. However, I'd like to see a much less linear next game in the series.

I'd like them to go back to the original Legend of Zelda game, and work on reiterating a modern take on that concept. It was so open, difficult, and huge for its day. It would be nice to have an open world like that again with all of the modern advancements made in the series sprinkled throughout.

However, I also don't want to constantly be told what to do by NPCs anymore. That needs to change IMO. Less dialogue... Just put us out into a world and let us figure out stuff like the old days for just one installment (just to see how it goes). With MiiVerse, we really don't need NPCs to tell us the obvious anymore.

People have said they should look at Dark Souls as an example of where to take the series. I don't agree with that because it would limit the appeal of the franchise... the game doesn't need to be brutal. But...

To be honest, I'd like them to look at the overall end game of Fez for some ideas on where to take the series. In its own way, it felt like a very authentic take on the original Zelda game if you think about it... It was able to convey so much without dialogue (or even combat). It was also littered with secrets and promoted communication to solve puzzles. It wasn't perfect, but I think Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma could run with that concept and make a very special Zelda experience with it that IS perfect.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#7Tsutarja495Posted 9/24/2013 7:39:32 AM
I'd add in the ability to skip cutscenes and all dialogue like in Fire Emblem. If there's anything that drug down the experience of Skyward Sword for me, it was all that slow unskippable dialogue. Come on, if I wanted to read all that text I'd pick up a book, I want to be playing the game.
---
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg