only thing i dislike about Nintendo's controller habits

#1manmousePosted 9/24/2013 5:02:36 PM
it's important for media to last. so 50 years down the line, i can listen to a Beatles album and it'll still sound as great as ever. i can pop in Alien from the 1970's any time i want. i can look at the painting Starry Night without difficulty. i can read the Lord of the Rings trilogy just as easily today as i could upon release.

so with games, i want to be able to play them 5, 10, 20, 30 years down the line and have the experience be EXACTLY the same as it is today. much like how i have near infinite options for playing Super Mario World, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage, etc.

but with certain games, their lifespan lasts only as long as consoles that support their particular controllers.
one of the most recent ones we see is Super Mario Sunshine. the game's primary, central mechanic is FLUDD, and controlling it requires an analogue R trigger. without it, you lose the nuanced control of the spray being able to pinpoint numerous different levels of pressure and switch seamlessly between free movement while spraying and locking on for aiming. the movement-lockon dichotomy could of course be adapted for a different controller, but the control over levels of pressure could never be done the same. and without GC controller support, we will never see an updated port or remake of that game until they make another controller with analogue triggers.

same goes for motion control-based games from Wii. what's gonna happen when Nintendo no longer supports the Wiimote on later consoles and doesn't use the same functions anymore? perhaps something about a later controller could take its place, but it's a big maybe. and even then, it could only be THAT console's controller whereas SNES or PS1 or Genesis games can be ported on ANYTHING and play perfectly.

and what happens if touchscreens ever become obsolete? what happens to WiiU's library?

the only option is keeping every console, and as a retro collector that's fine for me. i have so many consoles i needed two TVs. but younger people don't always have that option and they may never get to experience ports of classics like i experienced when PS1 got some SNES ports, or when every console ever got Genesis ports, or when Wii got ports of all past Nintendo consoles + Genesis and MS.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#2chaos_controlrPosted 9/24/2013 5:04:51 PM
Designing to accomodate for past generations would be rediculous. Design for the future to better your past designs.
#3Paul_AtreidesPosted 9/24/2013 5:07:33 PM
Don't worry TC, in the future there is technology that plugs into your brain, and it actually uses the power of your brain to emulate old games. You will say wow!
#4TediousMattPosted 9/24/2013 5:13:15 PM
manmouse posted...
it's important for media to last. so 50 years down the line, i can listen to a Beatles album and it'll still sound as great as ever. i can pop in Alien from the 1970's any time i want. i can look at the painting Starry Night without difficulty. i can read the Lord of the Rings trilogy just as easily today as i could upon release.

Your argument is flawed. Playing music, video, ect. in its original format is totally fine / futureproof. Yet, games need to have the option of a possible remake.

Why can you enjoy old music, movies and art? While a game can only last if it is remade on a new console.
#5Jacob46719Posted 9/24/2013 5:13:38 PM
chaos_controlr posted...
Designing to accomodate for past generations would be rediculous. Design for the future to better your past designs.

design for the future. good idea. Microsoft hasn't changed their controller besides the shape. dualshock 4 still has the same look as the previous ds controllers + grips/touchpad. But there is one question I still have for the DS4 control. How do you pause the game?
---
Buying These: Mario 3D World, WWHD, SSB4, SSB4, MK8, Watch Dogs, CoD: Ghosts, Pokemon Y, Zelda: ALBW, X
May Buy These: PS4, Infamous: SS, Destiny, ESO
#6Paul_AtreidesPosted 9/24/2013 5:15:07 PM
Jacob46719 posted...
chaos_controlr posted...

design for the future. good idea. Microsoft hasn't changed their controller besides the shape. dualshock 4 still has the same look as the previous ds controllers + grips/touchpad. But there is one question I still have for the DS4 control. How do you pause the game?

The start button?
#7Jacob46719Posted 9/24/2013 5:21:25 PM
Paul_Atreides posted...
Jacob46719 posted...
chaos_controlr posted...

The start button?

...there is no start button.
---
Buying These: Mario 3D World, WWHD, SSB4, SSB4, MK8, Watch Dogs, CoD: Ghosts, Pokemon Y, Zelda: ALBW, X
May Buy These: PS4, Infamous: SS, Destiny, ESO
#8Paul_AtreidesPosted 9/24/2013 5:26:46 PM
Jacob46719 posted...
Paul_Atreides posted...
Jacob46719 posted...
chaos_controlr posted...

The start button?

...there is no start button.

Oh yeah that's right. I would guess options then. Keep forgetting the buttons have just been renamed.
#9methosagainPosted 9/24/2013 5:32:58 PM
Jacob46719 posted...
chaos_controlr posted...

Home button
---
Law of the universe states the strong shall survive and the weak fall by the way, I don't give a damn what idealistic plan is cooked up, nothing changes that
#10InfamouslyNycePosted 9/24/2013 5:46:20 PM
TediousMatt posted...
manmouse posted...

Your argument is flawed. Playing music, video, ect. in its original format is totally fine / futureproof. Yet, games need to have the option of a possible remake.

Why can you enjoy old music, movies and art? While a game can only last if it is remade on a new console.

The post is mult-flawed. The 3 forms of entertainment/culture that TC is referencing all have fixed media and have been on the earth for centuries. They've evolved, been altered, refined, and re standardized over long periods of time.

Music(recording), for instance didn't have its own media until this past century. What did they do before that? They had to write/read and play. But writing/reading is an entirely different type of media that cannot convey the full effect of music. Musics also been around prior to recorded history, and probably before reading/writing due to improvisation. Sooooo that's how many years until it became standardized?

Literature and Visual Art didn't have fixed media until textile, further refined by the advent of paper, standardized by print, and further refined by the advent of Consumer Electronics.

Gaming is in its 3rd decade.......

TL;DR Interactive Software is young brah, cherish the real art in it while you can before everything becomes the same.
---
Nintendo Network ID: Inf4mous