Steam Box is real, is it a threat to the Wii U?

#31king_maddenPosted 9/25/2013 10:58:12 AM
if its a hit, it could be a threat to all systems.

many here seem to think "well it doesnt play nintendo games so it wont affect us much since that makes nintendo unique", but thing is thats only if you assume, that most people buy more than one console. most households get one console and thats it.

if people see a lot of games they want on steam for better prices, than the games they are interested in on the wiiU, that could lead them to pick steam over it.

not everyone wants or cares for numerous consoles in the house.
#32NovaLevossidaPosted 9/25/2013 10:58:54 AM
cs_shane posted...
b1gt0ne posted...
as much as the ouya was

Seriously? Ouya was screwed in so many ways. (games having to be only "Free 2 Play" Model, requiring a credit card upfront for "free" games, mobile specs, etc).

Steambox will have major impact, as it's like a regular console, but it's a "PC Console".

The only people I know who were considering buying an Ouya were people who wanted to do emulation but weren't able to figure out how to display their PC's output onto a TV.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#33Maverick_ReznorPosted 9/25/2013 11:01:40 AM
lol, no not to wii u....to x1 and ps4 you can bet your ass on that.
---
Making gamefaqs a better place by ignoring 1 ignorant user at a time : )
#34Maverick_ReznorPosted 9/25/2013 11:04:18 AM
btw its called steam machine
---
Making gamefaqs a better place by ignoring 1 ignorant user at a time : )
#35PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 9/25/2013 11:15:23 AM
Why should anyone care about this?

If you like Nintendo, buy Nintendo, no one cares about "threats" to their favored console but console fanboys. Which is pathetic.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#36Kuebel33Posted 9/25/2013 11:15:51 AM
Any Steam box isn't a threat to anything.

Look, while I understand the concept, and I'm not toally against it, the fact is, the only people who will really be remotely interested in this are people who are already PC enthusiasts and build their own rigs....especially if the price tags are as high as they are supposed to be. These people don't need a "steam box" because they already have a PC that is more capable.

I sincerely doubt that many people will walk through a store and see a steam box and go "oh snap, I need to pick one of these up."
---
Wii U: kuebel33 - Wii: 8877 3660 6443 4949 - XboxLive, psn, & Steam: DirtiestQBizzy
3DS: Q : 2449-4627-4540 | playing: Gears, Last of Us, Killer is Dead
#37ThePylonPosted 9/25/2013 11:17:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM posted...

I'm just hoping the release the OS as a download for use on our own hardware, and don't force us to use some proprietary crap.

Have you actually read the steam OS or steam machine reveal pages.....
---
I play too many different games to even care.
#38king_maddenPosted 9/25/2013 11:22:54 AM
Kuebel33 posted...
Any Steam box isn't a threat to anything.

Look, while I understand the concept, and I'm not toally against it, the fact is, the only people who will really be remotely interested in this are people who are already PC enthusiasts and build their own rigs....especially if the price tags are as high as they are supposed to be. These people don't need a "steam box" because they already have a PC that is more capable.

I sincerely doubt that many people will walk through a store and see a steam box and go "oh snap, I need to pick one of these up."

this is actually for console players who are interested in pc but without spending the money, not desktop owners.
#39GuyFawkes5Posted 9/25/2013 11:24:06 AM
No. the ouya just looks like a lame cash in, SteamBox will be the same
---
If the media can blame video games for making people violent, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words.
#40kdognumba1Posted 9/25/2013 11:25:37 AM
If it catches on, I don't think Nintendo will have anything to worry about, Sony and Microsoft however will.

Thing is, nobody is buying the Wii U for multiplatform games already, just like most other hardware from Nintendo. People are mainly looking for platform exclusives but especially Nintendo made games. Also Nintendo has built a very indie friendly system like Steam and mobile platforms however the addition of the DDP and CN Coins on top of the sales, deals and free games that doesn't require you to pay monyhly/annual payments helps their digital platform.

PS4 & XB1 however aren't as good of a position though admittedly Sony has the hype and is in a better position then MS. Both require you to pay in order to play online though XB1 will be the one that requires you to pay for all online features including digital deals that are vastly worse then Steam. Neither have true BC with your purchases, though PS4 will have Gaikai, a service that we dont know any specifics on such as pricing and will require you to stream the games to you.

Thing about the Steam Box is it will be open and fully customizable with most of the games you'll play on Sony and especially Microsoft systems running on it natively however more games will through the power of user mods. Also an OS made specifically for gaming will likely get a ton of support.

With all of that said, we still have a lot of questions about the platform(s), such as if online is required and what type of exclusive games we'll see. I mean, we already know about Steam and it's features, which imo beats the crap out of consoles, but we need to know more.
---
http://backloggery.com/kdog254 http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/Ouya/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1