Steam Box is real, is it a threat to the Wii U?

#81EarthLord_CJPosted 9/25/2013 6:57:31 PM
Pupu27 posted...
SteamBox runs Linux, so there is nothing that Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony should be worry about. It's game collection will be limited because of the operating system.

Games are being made compatible with Linux system more and more these days.

It'll be a good while until it's 'up to par' with other OS, of course, so how successful the thing actually could be would depend on when they released it (the later the better, I would think).
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#82Ryan SiPosted 9/25/2013 7:05:56 PM
Probably won't do much near term.

However, eventually when consoles as we know them no longer exist and (we're already starting to see it) and all games are digital the brands evolve into more of a service rather than a hardware brand....Valve could be a threat, but more towards Sony and Microsoft since Nintendo relies so heavily even now on their own games.
---
Playing: Grand Theft Auto V (PS3), Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii)
#83JobocanPosted 9/25/2013 7:35:59 PM
LemonKweenstaaa posted...
PC-only gamers already exist. This console is for them.

Except PC-only gamers already have gaming PCs. This console is not for them at all.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#84TalentedMPosted 9/25/2013 8:23:34 PM
I would see this as more of a reason to not get a PS4/X1 if anything. Especially as the exclusives will be few and far between this would be good for those who want to get AAA 3rd party titles and maybe even some more PC exclusives and steam greenlight indies.

I was looking forward for Steam Box for a while now, it might be pretty interesting.
---
I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing
#85chubbychaserPosted 9/25/2013 8:42:56 PM
Its on linux
so emulator?
---
aaaHAA!! X800 XT PE
#86MetroidJunkiePosted 9/25/2013 8:54:40 PM(edited)
Jobocan posted...

Except PC-only gamers already have gaming PCs. This console is not for them at all.

It's for people who want to PC game but want the conveniences of a game console. Probably not a very big market.
#87AlphrinPosted 9/25/2013 10:19:08 PM
king_madden posted...
gnomelord255 posted...
It's more of a s***storm towards Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has a large library that's unplayable on everything but Nintendo platforms (legally). We'll see what happens.

That's thinking as a fan of Nintendo. Now put yourself in the shoes of the average one console gamer who's on the fence about all consoles.

All consoles offer experiences that can't be found on the next system. only difference is Nintendo won't have as many multiplatfform titles.

Let's be honest by holiday 2014 all consoles will pretty much have the same amount of games in their library.

The average joe gamer is going to decide based on the kinds of games he prefers. If he prefers games like Gears of War or Grand Theft Auto, he's not going to go with Nintendo regardless, because Nintendo caters to a different audience. He'll be deciding between PS4 and XB1. And now, Steambox.

People don't just want experiences because they are unique. They want a particular sort of experience. Nintendo offers one sort of experience. Xbox, Playstation, and Steam offer another experience. You don't decide on a whim whether or not you prefer Legend of Zelda or Call of Duty. People will know right away which they prefer, and if they prefer the latter then they won't be choosing the Wii U regardless of Steambox's existence. In other words...there is not a fence dividing the Wii U and Steambox, there is a canyon. The fence is between Steambox and XB/PS, because the the options are a lot less distinct from one another.

thisranks posted...

You're doing an excellent spin job yourself. As a Sony and Nintendo fan i'd say this is far more of a threat to Nintendo. All Nintendo has is 1st party games. Bayonetta 2 (i own the 1st game) is hardly enough to praise their 3rd party game list.

That makes no sense. Nintendo's reliance on First Parties means it offers a completely different experience from Steambox, whereas XB/PS only offer a slightly different one.

Think of it in flowchart form:

Do you want games like Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, and Metroid, or do you want games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, and Madden?

If the former, choose Nintendo.

If the latter, choose between Xbox, Playstation, and Steam.
---
I've decided not to have a signature.
#88king_maddenPosted 9/26/2013 6:44:21 AM
Alphrin posted...
king_madden posted...
gnomelord255 posted...
It's more of a s***storm towards Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has a large library that's unplayable on everything but Nintendo platforms (legally). We'll see what happens.

That's thinking as a fan of Nintendo. Now put yourself in the shoes of the average one console gamer who's on the fence about all consoles.

All consoles offer experiences that can't be found on the next system. only difference is Nintendo won't have as many multiplatfform titles.

Let's be honest by holiday 2014 all consoles will pretty much have the same amount of games in their library.

The average joe gamer is going to decide based on the kinds of games he prefers. If he prefers games like Gears of War or Grand Theft Auto, he's not going to go with Nintendo regardless, because Nintendo caters to a different audience. He'll be deciding between PS4 and XB1. And now, Steambox.

People don't just want experiences because they are unique. They want a particular sort of experience. Nintendo offers one sort of experience. Xbox, Playstation, and Steam offer another experience. You don't decide on a whim whether or not you prefer Legend of Zelda or Call of Duty. People will know right away which they prefer, and if they prefer the latter then they won't be choosing the Wii U regardless of Steambox's existence. In other words...there is not a fence dividing the Wii U and Steambox, there is a canyon. The fence is between Steambox and XB/PS, because the the options are a lot less distinct from one another.

thisranks posted...

You're doing an excellent spin job yourself. As a Sony and Nintendo fan i'd say this is far more of a threat to Nintendo. All Nintendo has is 1st party games. Bayonetta 2 (i own the 1st game) is hardly enough to praise their 3rd party game list.

That makes no sense. Nintendo's reliance on First Parties means it offers a completely different experience from Steambox, whereas XB/PS only offer a slightly different one.

Think of it in flowchart form:

Do you want games like Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, and Metroid, or do you want games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, and Madden?

If the former, choose Nintendo.

If the latter, choose between Xbox, Playstation, and Steam.

you seem to think gamers decide based on a handful of games. if any gamer only sees call of duty, grand theft auto. Metal gear and Madden on other consoles, then they aren't looking.
#89DarkAdonis123Posted 9/26/2013 6:49:37 AM
Steam Box is a threat to all consoles.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#90Pupu27Posted 9/26/2013 6:57:01 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Steam Box is a threat to all consoles.

This, if anything the discount price of Steam games will kill all console games. In this age $60/game is ridiculous. Xbox would be find as Microsoft clearly has a plan to digitalize all their games (hence the cheaper price) while dinosaurs like Sony and Nintendo could be in big problem.
---
Freedom of speech is just an excuse for trolling.