why is it that people would rather play as villains than heroes on a quest?

#1NightMareBunnyPosted 9/26/2013 11:35:15 PM
Games Like GTA And COD Sell Tons Of Copies(COD Breaks Sales Records Almost Every Year It Seems)

yet Games Like Zelda fail to reach successful numbers worth mentioning and usually the games where you actually play as a hero with a mission are too niche really crappy or just released at a bad time...

You Can Argue that you aren't playing the role of a villain in Call of Duty but the heroic aspects aren't really there and at the end of the day nobody would care if you were the hero or the villain as long as you got to shoot someone in the head

i got no problem with those games but when describing them to people it doesn't exactly paint a nice picture....

"Someone Asks What You've Been Doing"

"Oh Nothing Just Running Over Hookers And Killing Cops In GTA5"

Nintendo might not have loads of M-Rated Titles on The Wii Or Wiiu(or Even The DS/3DS) but at least they still know how to have fun without pumping out Movies Posing as games(Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls)and without using over the top violence and gore to attract gamers

I'm not trying to sound like a prude or anything because I'm not against Violent games I'm against Video games that are just violent for the sake of being violent and stupid

unfortunately that seems to be what the majority of gamers today want...games that are violent just to be violent without any real reason for it

nobody wants to be a hero anymore they don't want to save the day they just want to burn everything down and kill everything in sight

is it just boring to be a righteous hero these days? is it not as fun as it used to be now that we have Halo COD GTA Saints Row And Many Others taking the attention away?
---
JUS FC:347983426961
Diamond FC:4167-0966-1829
#2Sylar100Posted 9/26/2013 11:39:31 PM
You do know that GTA, Saints Row, etc has missions right?
#3G1ingyPosted 9/26/2013 11:40:04 PM
There's a key thing you're missing.

One game is western produced. The other is japanese. Now add to that the fact that westerners make up a larger proportion of video gamers and you have your answer.
#4DiscostewSMPosted 9/26/2013 11:40:50 PM
They want to do stuff they couldn't normally do in the real world without consequences......be the bad guy.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#5NightMareBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 11:43:27 PM
G1ingy posted...
There's a key thing you're missing.

One game is western produced. The other is japanese. Now add to that the fact that westerners make up a larger proportion of video gamers and you have your answer.

I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough You'll find a good chunk of Western Produced RPG's And Action/Adventure Games

Uncharted For Example is basically The Indiana Jones Of Gaming and didn't have to use over the top violence to get people's attention
---
#6NightMareBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 11:44:55 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
They want to do stuff they couldn't normally do in the real world without consequences......be the bad guy.

*Pictures A Police Station Full Of Cops Taking Turns Playing GTA5*
---
#7DoramiPosted 9/26/2013 11:46:05 PM
...You play as heroes in CoD and Halo.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
#8NightMareBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 11:47:57 PM
Dorami posted...
...You play as heroes in CoD and Halo.

I'll give you Halo But Call Of Duty not so much....since the storyline is barely there and more often than not nobody would care if they had to play a terrorist through the whole thing as long as they got to shoot some things
---
#9userfrigginamePosted 9/26/2013 11:48:46 PM
Well, ur killing living creatures in Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario too. And in Pokemon, u capture and train creatures to fight other creatures whether they want to or not.
#10NightMareBunny(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 11:51:58 PM
userfrigginame posted...
Well, ur killing living creatures in Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario too. And in Pokemon, u capture and train creatures to fight other creatures whether they want to or not.

to be honest in Mario the enemies are sent to murder you by bowser(or whoever the main boss is)and with zelda it's usually Ganon Sending his unholy horde to destroy link

i don't see anyone feeling sorry for demons that would probably eat the souls of children if you didn't kill them
---