How much more powerful is the Wii U compared to the 360/PS3?

#1Jedthehead91Posted 9/27/2013 5:21:01 PM
is 1080p native resolution standard? have the specs for the CPU been released yet?
---
if only i could be so grossly incandescent
#2Jacob46719Posted 9/27/2013 5:25:44 PM
"I could give you a list of our technical specs, I believe you would like that; but I won't for a simple reason. They really don't matter." -Iwata
---
Buying These: Mario 3D World, WWHD, SSB4, SSB4, MK8, Watch Dogs, CoD: Ghosts, Pokemon Y, Zelda: ALBW, X
May Buy These: PS4, Infamous: SS, Destiny, ESO
#3segagamerPosted 9/27/2013 5:27:06 PM
Nobody really knows.

It's got a weird architecture. It could end up like saturn, where multiplats looked worse than PSX, but if optimized, games like SEGA's own games and Lobotomy's ports of Duke Nukem and Quake were prime.

At best, a reasonable guess is 7.5 gen level. That's kind of the general consensus.
---
Wii U+Xbox One+Steam Box :)
#4Jedthehead91(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 5:27:52 PM
Jacob46719 posted...
"I could give you a list of our technical specs, I believe you would like that; but I won't for a simple reason. They really don't matter." -Iwata

So Wii U confirmed for less powerful than current consoles (other than 1080p capabilities) and thats their excuse? i dont REALLY care, but imagine the ****storm when they announce that their console is barely more powerful, if at all.
---
if only i could be so grossly incandescent
#5AstralFrostPosted 9/27/2013 5:32:36 PM
You'd like to hope for Nintendo's sake that its at least a bit better, but its obviously nearly a whole generation of technology behind PS4 and XB1.
---
Man at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Iwata committed sudoku on himself
#6avigeant83Posted 9/27/2013 5:34:45 PM
But the next gen isn't that much more powerful than last gen. I will admit that the lighting, speed, and storage will be noticable.
#7DiscostewSMPosted 9/27/2013 5:35:16 PM
Attempting to find out the true power of its custom hardware by comparing it to off-the-shelf components is futile. Even the people at Chipworks confirm this.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#8Jacob46719Posted 9/27/2013 5:35:44 PM
Jedthehead91 posted...
Jacob46719 posted...

So Wii U confirmed for less powerful than current consoles (other than 1080p capabilities) and thats their excuse? i dont REALLY care, but imagine the ****storm when they announce that their console is barely more powerful, if at all.

ok

by power

let's put things into perspective
If a developer put a game on Wii U and the only thing he did was rely on pure horsepower and didn't do anything else to enhance the game(bare minimum), it would be an xbox 360.

But the Wii U is more powerful than 7th gen consoles obviously.

idk what the exact number is but I think it's 4 times as powerful.
---
Buying These: Mario 3D World, WWHD, SSB4, SSB4, MK8, Watch Dogs, CoD: Ghosts, Pokemon Y, Zelda: ALBW, X
May Buy These: PS4, Infamous: SS, Destiny, ESO
#9DiscostewSMPosted 9/27/2013 5:40:34 PM
Compare launch PS3/360 games to now, and it took 7+ years to achieve that. Wii U hasn't been out a year yet, and has already surpassed the PS3/360 in terms of what it can do. It's not as powerful as the PS4/XB1, but all signs point to it being a good degree more powerful than the PS3/360.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#10SeamusOHasseyPosted 9/27/2013 5:47:23 PM
Except the Wii U has access to better tech the PS3/360 didn't really have back then. Besides, while I'm getting a Wii U, the PS3 is still far better in every way possible imo.
---
Just saying.
Don't panic. It's only a video game web site.- SBAllen