NEWS Nintendo UK exec says 'many people still don't know Wii U is a new console'

#21DemonBuffetPosted 9/28/2013 10:05:43 AM
Duce posted...
The majority of Wii owners know what Wii U is they just aren't interested their casual attention is on phones/tablets.

Ding ding ding!!!
---
3DS Friend Code
1950-8276-5784 Moses
#22MushroomMuncherPosted 9/28/2013 10:10:32 AM
Suprise of the Century
---
Comparing Puppeteer to Wonderful 101 is like comparing guinea pigs to pianos. ~ MarioABDL
#23crucialPosted 9/28/2013 10:12:08 AM
All the kid's that had a Wii are growing up and want a X1 or PS4 now,my son's who are teenagers loved Wii but now wan't PS4 and X1's,but nintendo has always catered to the younger crowd now they are losing it with this gen of kid's because they have no clue what it is or think it's just an add on to the Wii like everyone has said.

Horrible marketing by Nintendo and it will be way to late come nov.
#24DrSouljaBoi69Posted 9/28/2013 10:13:39 AM
at least some of the execs are willig to admit that the Wii U is currently a failure
#25EoinPosted 9/28/2013 10:22:36 AM
TullyBlanchard posted...
But the names Playstation 2 and Xbox 360 don't confuse the masses?

PlayStation 2, no, how could that confuse anyone? It's the sequel to the PlayStation. Newer and better. Sony even helped everyone out by renaming the PlayStation the PSone in the same year. They also changed the logo and the font to distinguish it from the PS2.

Xbox 360 - yeah, that did confuse a few people. There was lots of criticism of the name, initially. Microsoft marketed and marketed and marketed and got the message through. This effort was helped by the fact that the Xbox was quite a niche system anyway, especially outside the US, and that meant Microsoft had less work to do.

I wrote lots more on this yesterday so don't want to repeat too much. You may not care, but if you do, my previous post is #34 of this topic: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/67342564

Transdude posted...
That's what I don't get. Why is it that everyone thinks that the Wii U is just a regular Wii with a gamepad add-on, and yet they don't become confused with the other electronics on the market?

The GamePad confusion is due to lack of a clear Nintendo message and people jumping to conclusions based on the information that they do have. I'm going to refer to my post yesterday again, at the link above.

Other electronics sometimes do suffer confusion. It happens a lot with phones, especially Nokia phones. Nokia's naming convention system (assuming that there actually is one) is worse than Nintendo's.

Transdude posted...
If you actually think about it, the new 360 model is meant to look in similar design to the XB1, so how many people are going to confuse the two?

This is something that could potentially happen, yes. However, the mental image most people have of the Xbox 360 is still the original model (presumably with many people's mental image being the previous slim model). It's perhaps worth noting that even despite this, Microsoft are being a bit careful - nearly all their images show the new 360 model stood vertically, for example, while the Xbox One is always horizontal (since it can't be vertical), and the box of the new 360 model is white with green (360 style) while the Xbox One box - and most marketing materials - are black.

Transdude posted...
Also, if people have a hard time distinguishing the difference between the Wii U and the original Wii, why is it that they can always tell the difference between each different generation of the iPhone/iPad when they really isn't that significant of a difference?

Apple number the iPhone versions though. It's a pretty clear distinction, even if Apple do sometimes use letters (even then - 'S' is one of the few letters people see as representing an improvement). Apple also have the advantage that they are huge and that everyone talks about them, doing much of their own marketing for them. "Did you see the new iPhone"? Nintendo don't have that. It's not fair, but that's life.
#26LaManoNeraIIPosted 9/28/2013 11:00:39 AM
I refuse to believe people are that stupid
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#27Zero280Posted 9/28/2013 11:01:50 AM
LaManoNeraII posted...
I refuse to believe people are that stupid

The sad truth is some people actually are....
---
3DS Friend Code 5069-3942-1786
#28PigfartsPosted 10/2/2013 8:32:53 PM
Corporate Wiisurence. People know dam well its not just an add on they don't want it. And for the people who truely didn't know its not like they would run out and get one if they did know b/c obviously they were not interested.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#29avigeant83Posted 10/2/2013 9:30:14 PM
I agree that they haven't advertised the Wii U well at all to the casuals. But at the same time, aren't you the same whiners who call Nintendo a bunch of casuals? Any real gamer will know that all the major console releases and even their big games. Wonderful 101 might've flopped but you talk about it a lot more than I do and I love that game. Trolls are just children with no lives.
#30Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2013 9:55:47 PM
Pigfarts posted...
Corporate Wiisurence. People know dam well its not just an add on they don't want it. And for the people who truely didn't know its not like they would run out and get one if they did know b/c obviously they were not interested.

True. Demand is incredibly low for this console.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg