The Nintendo BOD could put Nintendo in real danger

#1iKhan88Posted 9/28/2013 6:02:57 PM
Hear me out. Since Nintendo is a publicly traded company, they have a Board of Directors (BOD) in control. Right now Iwata is not the most popular CEO in the world, and even though I think he is doing mostly the right things, that's not what the public thinks.

Now the only leadership change we've seen in Nintendo's gaming history is the transition from Yamauchi to Iwata, and Iwata was a handpicked successor, who Yamauchi knew would continue the Nintendo vision of selling a unique and unified hardware-software experience, driven some of the greatest developers in the industry.

Now think of what would happen if Iwata was disgracefully dismissed from the CEO position. We wouldn't see a handpicked successor to maintain the company vision, rather, stockholders would replace him with whoever they saw fit.

That means we could end up seeing Nintendo approaching video games the way Sony and Microsoft do, which, in my opinion, could end the company. If we had 3 near identical consoles, with added competition from 1st and 3rd party Steam Machines, Nintendo would have fierce competition. On top of that, the company demographic is seen as a lot younger or at least more sensitive, so 3rd party ports would still be fewer.
#2blinkfreakPosted 9/28/2013 6:12:40 PM
I don't know enough about their structure to know if we really need to worry. But my biggest fear is that the investors (who are not gamers) will make Nintendo make smartphone games and stuff like that. Sure they would probably make some good money but it isn't what gamers want.

I feel like Nintendo is doing the best at catering toward what I want. Better than Sony and WAY better than MS.
#3AiddonPosted 9/28/2013 6:14:28 PM(edited)
uh, the way stockholders act in Japanese companies is a LOT different than in the West. There isn't a lot of stockholder/investor activism in Japanese companies and I very much doubt Nintendo is an exception to this.
#4iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 6:14:43 PM
blinkfreak posted...
I don't know enough about their structure to know if we really need to worry. But my biggest fear is that the investors (who are not gamers) will make Nintendo make smartphone games and stuff like that. Sure they would probably make some good money but it isn't what gamers want.

I feel like Nintendo is doing the best at catering toward what I want. Better than Sony and WAY better than MS.

Yeah, that's another of my concerns. Part of the reason companies like Capcom and EA are getting so much hate in the public eye right now is that they no longer have their company values of old. So they are treating games like some sort of corporate machine, which is similar to what screwed over Atari.
---
I am iKhanic. REBORN!
#5NovaLevossidaPosted 9/28/2013 6:21:30 PM
iKhan88 posted...
If we had 3 near identical consoles, with added competition from 1st and 3rd party Steam Machines, Nintendo would have fierce competition.

Man, that would be amazing. Seriously. If Nintendo released a comparably powerful system with all the features of modern non-Nintendo consoles, had the first party games on it, and also attracted the third party developers and gamers who buy third party games, they'd be set. If they had done that instead of the Wii U, launched a year earlier, and had a competent release schedule, I think they could have outright killed Microsoft fighting alongside Sony's PS4 and gave Sony some serious competition.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#6EndgamePosted 9/28/2013 6:22:10 PM
Now the only leadership change we've seen in Nintendo's gaming history is the transition from Yamauchi to Iwata, and Iwata was a handpicked successor, who Yamauchi thought would continue the Nintendo vision of selling a unique and unified hardware-software experience, driven some of the greatest developers in the industry.

fixed

Nintendo can only improve if they finally kick out Iwata, unless the BoD is actually stupid enough to put Hackurai in charge.....
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#7guedesbrawlPosted 9/28/2013 6:23:06 PM
iKhan88 posted...

That means we could end up seeing Nintendo approaching video games the way Sony and Microsoft do, which, in my opinion, could end the company. If we had 3 near identical consoles, with added competition from 1st and 3rd party Steam Machines, Nintendo would have fierce competition. On top of that, the company demographic is seen as a lot younger or at least more sensitive, so 3rd party ports would still be fewer.

If all parties have basically the same power, we'd see much more multiplats.
---
Here's hoping that Chrom will do Aether correctly in SSB4...
#8iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 6:25:13 PM
Endgame posted...
Now the only leadership change we've seen in Nintendo's gaming history is the transition from Yamauchi to Iwata, and Iwata was a handpicked successor, who Yamauchi thought would continue the Nintendo vision of selling a unique and unified hardware-software experience, driven some of the greatest developers in the industry.

fixed

Nintendo can only improve if they finally kick out Iwata, unless the BoD is actually stupid enough to put Hackurai in charge.....

Except he did exactly that. The Wii was a blatant execution of the unified hardware-software vision
---
I am iKhanic. REBORN!
#9iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 6:28:44 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
iKhan88 posted...
If we had 3 near identical consoles, with added competition from 1st and 3rd party Steam Machines, Nintendo would have fierce competition.

Man, that would be amazing. Seriously. If Nintendo released a comparably powerful system with all the features of modern non-Nintendo consoles, had the first party games on it, and also attracted the third party developers and gamers who buy third party games, they'd be set. If they had done that instead of the Wii U, launched a year earlier, and had a competent release schedule, I think they could have outright killed Microsoft fighting alongside Sony's PS4 and gave Sony some serious competition.

Except they wouldn't. Part of what makes Nintendo game's good is the hardware is constructed for the software. Remember the Analog stick and the D-pad? And with the Wii, we saw Nintendo use motion controls better than anyone else. It wasn't used with everything, but they worked well in most things they were used in. On top of that, what's the point of having 3 machines that do exactly the same thing? Especially with Steam Machines being able to play steam games in your living room.
---
I am iKhanic. REBORN!
#10Aether_LightPosted 9/28/2013 6:42:33 PM
Since this topic needs a free bump, Khanic are you going to go back to the zelda wii u board? Tai has been gone for the past week.
---
---
Currently Playing: Zelda 2: AoL,Dishonored,Dark Souls,Pikmin 3,W101,LoZ WWHD,Metroid Prime,and Tales of Vesperia Pokemon Showdown ID: AetherLife